+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has signed!

Re: Tomlin has signed!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Warnock says Tomlin was his number one target and it looks like we were going to have to sign him on loan for a while. He also says that's the end of our signings this summer unless we have receive a bid we cannot turn down for one of our players and, on that score, it seems we've had a new and bigger bid for Sean Morrison from someone which was turned down.

The fee is reported as being up to £2.9 million in the Bristol media

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40592080

If thats the last expected signing maybe that opens the door again for Saadi

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    If thats the last expected signing maybe that opens the door again for Saadi
    Presumably we're still looking to sign one or both of the Livingston lads if they do well in their trial period? As for Saadi, I'd like to think he'd be given the chance to impress in the warm up games, but my guess is that he'll be playing somewhere else on loan in the new season.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    "I want to get back to the Premier League and I feel I can do that here"

Ouch! Poor old jurrsey.

Apparently, this signing means Tomlin will have started the last five seasons at five different clubs. Can't be too many players out there who've done that.

Where will he sit in the pantheon's of our great midfielders :

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Apparently, this signing means Tomlin will have started the last five seasons at five different clubs. Can't be too many players out there who've done that.

That journeyman Zlatan got about a bit as well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    What! No mention of Ian Gibson - the greatest of the midfielders I have seen in nearly 60 years of following CCFC.

Nothing wrong with trying to develop oneself and ones wage , at least he has reached the club of his dreams ,after wandering through the wilderness of hope and despair for so long .

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    That journeyman Zlatan got about a bit as well
    It took him a decade to rack up as many clubs as Tomlin has played for since 2013.

Warnock says Tomlin was his number one target and it looks like we were going to have to sign him on loan for a while. He also says that's the end of our signings this summer unless we have receive a bid we cannot turn down for one of our players and, on that score, it seems we've had a new and bigger bid for Sean Morrison from someone which was turned down.

A couple of things strike me with this "final signing"

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    2. The pressure is on Warnock to turn a trick on all signings due to budget
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

Never mind as most people seem to say recently in Warnock we trust!!

If as reported the initial bid from Sheffield Wednesday for Morrison was £3m & increased bids have followed then in my mind we must be getting close to the stage where we are tempted to sell, particularly as he is entering the final year of his contract with us. I would not mind betting that Morrison has or is about to be offered a new contract & our decision to sell or not will depend on how this pans out.

It took him a decade to rack up as many clubs as Tomlin has played for since 2013.
    The real question is, how many times have you seen him play versus the rest of South Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    What! No mention of Ian Gibson - the greatest of the midfielders I have seen in nearly 60 years of following CCFC.
    And Barrie Jones. Brian Harris played centre back for us too.

If you're counting the first decade of zlatan's career, he had more clubs than the first decade of Tomlin's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

A you say budget ,and I would add in FFP , and plan B .

I think he got part of the budget for signings and part to keep others such as Manga and Gunnerson ,and ?? .

Your not going to get much for 2.9 million anyway , so why not take a punt on a known entity in this league after failing on the two Scottish lads ,who may well flop .

This puts pressure on Warnock ,not Zohore.

Warnock is a proven experienced football man , a motivator, no fool or naive , so its not a case of in Warnock we trust its in Warnock what we know, surly ? one could argue he's streets ahead of our recent batch of managers .

What if the budget spend is 2 fold now and in January when we need a push ,keeping something for another day is something I would do ?

What if we now see season long loan moves in ?

I do know we won't go down ,we play in blue ,we are funded to an extent ,under FFP , the owner has kept faith , the mangers has enthusiasm, and I get to go down and support the team I love .

Happy days

Let's be honest his term "final signing" left himself quite a lot of scope. He added unless players leave or someone comes available!

I would like to see us invest in a cheap version of Tomlin as well to give us a bit of competition in that area, however Ward and Hoilett can slot in there if needs must.

You can't ask Warnock to sign more players on the basis that "Ward is not tested for us"

Surely that will go for any player we sign unless we re-sign Whittingham or Chopra etc!

Signed yesterday straight on a diet today

How could a new signing possibly be tested by us (unless previously on loan)? Besides, Ward IS tested in the Championship - it's not like we're taking some wild punt on a league 1 or 2 player.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    That Matt Le Tissier was pretty crap what with his build...

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    If as reported the initial bid from Sheffield Wednesday for Morrison was £3m & increased bids have followed then in my mind we must be getting close to the stage where we are tempted to sell, particularly as he is entering the final year of his contract with us. I would not mind betting that Morrison has or is about to be offered a new contract & our decision to sell or not will depend on how this pans out.
    In that piece, Warnock says this about Morrison "I've kept him informed of the situation and hopefully over the next week or two we can put that to bed" - I think that says you're right and a contract offer will, or has, been made to our cpatain.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    are you EVER positive???

This makes a few more formations look feasible having someone in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham