+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has signed!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tomlin has signed!

There are brief interviews with Tomlin and Warnock on the club website (iFollow).

Warnock is interesting with his Adel Taarabt comparison. He clearly thinks he can get the best out of Tomlin (in a way that some of his previous managers didn't) but isn't hiding the fact that Tomlin has been 'up and down' in his career and needs to get his head right if he's going to be a success with us. This might be the one player in the squad that he doesn't fully trust - but will put the time and effort in because Tomlin has the X factor that many others don't. After reading the comments from Bristol fans - most saying he will start well then his attitude and fitness will go backwards - I think the main reason for cautious optimism is Warnock.

Warnock says Tomlin was his number one target and it looks like we were going to have to sign him on loan for a while. He also says that's the end of our signings this summer unless we have receive a bid we cannot turn down for one of our players and, on that score, it seems we've had a new and bigger bid for Sean Morrison from someone which was turned down.

The fee is reported as being up to £2.9 million in the Bristol media

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40592080

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Warnock says Tomlin was his number one target and it looks like we were going to have to sign him on loan for a while. He also says that's the end of our signings this summer unless we have receive a bid we cannot turn down for one of our players and, on that score, it seems we've had a new and bigger bid for Sean Morrison from someone which was turned down.

If thats the last expected signing maybe that opens the door again for Saadi

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    If thats the last expected signing maybe that opens the door again for Saadi
    Presumably we're still looking to sign one or both of the Livingston lads if they do well in their trial period? As for Saadi, I'd like to think he'd be given the chance to impress in the warm up games, but my guess is that he'll be playing somewhere else on loan in the new season.

Where will he sit in the pantheon's of our great midfielders :

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    What! No mention of Ian Gibson - the greatest of the midfielders I have seen in nearly 60 years of following CCFC.

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    Brian Harris was a centre back.

Peter King
    Brian Harris
    Alan Campbell
    Willie Carlin
    Graham Kavanagh
    Stephen McPhail
    Barrie Hole
    Jason Koumas
    Peter Whittingham
    Junichi Inamoto
    Gary Paul O'Neil
    Gunnerson
    What about

John Buchannon
    Willie Anderson
    Gibson
    Spider Sutton

A couple of things strike me with this "final signing"

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    2. The pressure is on Warnock to turn a trick on all signings due to budget
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

Never mind as most people seem to say recently in Warnock we trust!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

A you say budget ,and I would add in FFP , and plan B .

I think he got part of the budget for signings and part to keep others such as Manga and Gunnerson ,and ?? .

Your not going to get much for 2.9 million anyway , so why not take a punt on a known entity in this league after failing on the two Scottish lads ,who may well flop .

This puts pressure on Warnock ,not Zohore.

Warnock is a proven experienced football man , a motivator, no fool or naive , so its not a case of in Warnock we trust its in Warnock what we know, surly ? one could argue he's streets ahead of our recent batch of managers .

What if the budget spend is 2 fold now and in January when we need a push ,keeping something for another day is something I would do ?

What if we now see season long loan moves in ?

I do know we won't go down ,we play in blue ,we are funded to an extent ,under FFP , the owner has kept faith , the mangers has enthusiasm, and I get to go down and support the team I love .

Happy days

Signed yesterday straight on a diet today

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    That Matt Le Tissier was pretty crap what with his build...

are you EVER positive???

I suppose we must be a basket case club ?

A you say budget ,and I would add in FFP , and plan B .

I think he got part of the budget for signings and part to keep others such as Manga and Gunnerson ,and ?? .

Your not going to get much for 2.9 million anyway , so why not take a punt on a known entity in this league after failing on the two Scottish lads ,who may well flop .

This puts pressure on Warnock ,not Zohore.

Warnock is a proven experienced football man , a motivator, no fool or naive , so its not a case of in Warnock we trust its in Warnock what we know, surly ? one could argue he's streets ahead of our recent batch of managers .

What if the budget spend is 2 fold now and in January when we need a push ,keeping something for another day is something I would do ?

What if we now see season long loan moves in ?

I do know we won't go down ,we play in blue ,we are funded to an extent ,under FFP , the owner has kept faith , the mangers has enthusiasm, and I get to go down and support the team I love .

Happy days
    That last bit is the key for me - I am with you - within budget, in blue and it a bit of pashun around the place!!

How could a new signing possibly be tested by us (unless previously on loan)? Besides, Ward IS tested in the Championship - it's not like we're taking some wild punt on a league 1 or 2 player.

Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.

Weve got at least 2 options in every position now

GK Camp, Ethridge, Murphy

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards
    CB - Morrison, Manga, Bamba, Conolly

CM - Gunnarson, Ralls, Damour, Halford,

AM / Wingers - Tomlin, Hoilett, K. Harris, Mendez Laing, Pilkington, M.Harris.

Forwards - Big Ken, Ward, Saadi, Healey,

Several players in all areas of the field can cover a number of positions.

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans. Obviousl if Pilkington and Saadi are moved on I think we would need to bring replacements in or those positions as they are a little threadbare.

Being picky id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans.

Being greedy id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.
    That's a pretty good squad. I think a few will leave, the ones you've left out plus Pilkington. Maybe we will sell Morrison, he's only got a year left on his contract. We'd still have Manga, Bamba and Connolly with peltier who could step in too. Mind you if we sell ZOhore we are stuffed. I just hope he plays like he did 2nd half last season, for the whole of the coming season. if so we would definitely get £20m for him. Man City are supposedly paying £50m for a full back!!

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

Ive left out John, O Keefe, Noone, Kennedy and Fred as clearly they are not part of Warnocks plans. Obviousl if Pilkington and Saadi are moved on I think we would need to bring replacements in or those positions as they are a little threadbare.

Being picky id like someonelse in CM who can pass the ball but its quite a competetive squad.
    Looking at that squad I doubt that we'll take much part in the Jan transfer window unless of some unforeseen bad luck as regards injuries or suspensions.Its easy to understand the logic of this approach compared to a Jan transfer when you pay over the odds and the choices are not so good.

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

How about a friendly of

Camp

Patterson Morrison Bamba Bennett

Gunnarsson ralls

Harris Tomlin Hoilett

Zohore

Vs

Saadi Ward

Pilkington Damour Halford Mendez-Laing

Richards manga Connelly peltier

Etheridge.

I would watch that friendly

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

ENJOYED reading that we certainly have a stronger squad now.
    I'm quite confidant certainly more so than the last few seasons
    and more options too and finally we have pace lol
    I'm not gong to predict
    cmon city

RB - Patterson, Peltier
    LB - Bennet, Richards

There's a lot of pressure on Ralls and Gunnar, or he must really rate Damour. I'd like to see us sign Ndoye or Ledley, just to give us someone a bit different in the middle of the park. The current ones are a bit one dimensional.

I also think we'll keep Pilks (presumably as we can't find a buyer) but he's a good technical player than can play wide, in behind and up top to a decent level.

Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.
    This is a very good signing.I would have loved Reading getting Tomlin in to replace Danny Williams. He will score his fair share of goals. Warnock is canny and knows what he is doing. This looks like a very good bit of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This is a very good signing.I would have loved Reading getting Tomlin in to replace Danny Williams. He will score his fair share of goals. Warnock is canny and knows what he is doing. This looks like a very good bit of business.
    Agreed , I am over the moon with the signing of this guy, but this is Cardiff City and the glass is always half empty for too many .

If we signed Renaldo there would be those saying his best days are probably behind him.