+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has signed!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tomlin has signed!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tomlin is a high profile signing by Warnock in Championship terms (he has brought big with not great results in the Premier League) but I keep going back to that QPR fan who said expect underwhelming signings that end up working from him. If the fee reported for Tomlin is right, we are paying about the same as the wurzels did for him last summer, but I think there has been some transfer market inflation in the last year and nearly three million pounds is quite cheap for someone with his ability.

With lower wages for Bruno, big earners like Whitts, LeFondre, Lambert, Amos and Huws gone, as well as Adeyemi, and no wages needed for McGregor any more, I'd say there's a chance that our wage bill is currently a bit lower than it was in the second half of last season. We also got a fee for Huws, so I think our budget is/was a bit bigger than the reported £6 million.

If Pilkington and Noone stay, I'd say we have plenty of competition for attacking places, but I think Tomlin's signing makes their departure more likely. I'm not sure what this latest outlay does to any plans we may have had of signing the two lads from Livingston, but the older one of the two, Mullen, is twenty two now and so I believe he would be bought by us with the intention of challenging for a place in the first team squad straight away - I would have thought he and Knox would cost a pretty modest combined fee which would be more than covered by Noone and Pilkington (not forgetting Declan John either) leaving.

So there may be more signings to come, but, anyway, Warnock's comment about wanting two or three more was made before we signed Damour.
    I would be quite happy if Pilkington, noone and john went and they weren't replaced like for like - would still like another striker though and overall happy that through slade and now Warnock we are shopping and spending within our means

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Warnock says Tomlin was his number one target and it looks like we were going to have to sign him on loan for a while. He also says that's the end of our signings this summer unless we have receive a bid we cannot turn down for one of our players and, on that score, it seems we've had a new and bigger bid for Sean Morrison from someone which was turned down.

The fee is reported as being up to £2.9 million in the Bristol media

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40592080

If as reported the initial bid from Sheffield Wednesday for Morrison was £3m & increased bids have followed then in my mind we must be getting close to the stage where we are tempted to sell, particularly as he is entering the final year of his contract with us. I would not mind betting that Morrison has or is about to be offered a new contract & our decision to sell or not will depend on how this pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    If as reported the initial bid from Sheffield Wednesday for Morrison was £3m & increased bids have followed then in my mind we must be getting close to the stage where we are tempted to sell, particularly as he is entering the final year of his contract with us. I would not mind betting that Morrison has or is about to be offered a new contract & our decision to sell or not will depend on how this pans out.
    In that piece, Warnock says this about Morrison "I've kept him informed of the situation and hopefully over the next week or two we can put that to bed" - I think that says you're right and a contract offer will, or has, been made to our cpatain.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    "I want to get back to the Premier League and I feel I can do that here"

Ouch! Poor old jurrsey.

Apparently, this signing means Tomlin will have started the last five seasons at five different clubs. Can't be too many players out there who've done that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Apparently, this signing means Tomlin will have started the last five seasons at five different clubs. Can't be too many players out there who've done that.

That journeyman Zlatan got about a bit as well

Nothing wrong with trying to develop oneself and ones wage , at least he has reached the club of his dreams ,after wandering through the wilderness of hope and despair for so long .

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    That journeyman Zlatan got about a bit as well
    It took him a decade to rack up as many clubs as Tomlin has played for since 2013.

It took him a decade to rack up as many clubs as Tomlin has played for since 2013.
    The real question is, how many times have you seen him play versus the rest of South Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The real question is, how many times have you seen him play versus the rest of South Wales?
    I've seen him play twice, both in 2011/12. He was a part of the Peterborough side that beat City 4-3 in an extraordinary midweek match at London Road and was a substitute in the Posh team that were beaten 3-1 in the return game.

Of the club's seven summer signings, I think I'm right in saying that Tomlin is the one who was playing for the team that finished highest in the Football League pyramid last season:

Tomlin - Bristol City - 17th in the Championship
    Camp - Rotherham United - 24th in the Championship
    Ward - Rotherham United - 24th in the Championship
    Mendez-Laing - Rochdale - 9th in League One
    Etheridge - Walsall - 14th in League One
    Paterson - Hearts - 5th in the Scottish Premiership
    Damour - Bourg-Peronnas - 15th in the French Ligue 2

Of the club's seven summer signings, I think I'm right in saying that Tomlin is the one who was playing for the team that finished highest in the Football League pyramid last season:

Tomlin - Bristol City - 17th in the Championship
    Camp - Rotherham United - 24th in the Championship
    Ward - Rotherham United - 24th in the Championship
    Mendez-Laing - Rochdale - 9th in League One
    Etheridge - Walsall - 14th in League One
    Paterson - Hearts - 5th in the Scottish Premiership
    Damour - Bourg-Peronnas - 15th in the French Ligue 2
    When Malky took over in the summer of 2011, we were left with a shell of a team with loan players returning and others being sold. Our transfer record that summer wasn't all that different:

Craig Conway - Dundee Utd - 4th SPL
    Don Cowie - Watford - 14th Championship
    Aron Gunnarsson - Coventry - 18th Championship
    Andrew Taylor - Middlesbro - 12th Championship
    Joe Mason - Plymouth - 23rd League One
    Robert Earnshaw - Nottm Forest - 6th Championship
    Kenny Miller - Bursaspor - 3rd Turkish Super Lig
    Rudy Gestede - Metz - 17th French Ligue 2
    Ben Turner - Coventry - 18th Championship

That didn't turn out too badly!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

That didn't turn out too badly!
    It did for some former fans!

If you're counting the first decade of zlatan's career, he had more clubs than the first decade of Tomlin's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    A couple of things strike me with this "final signing"

1. If we took Warnock out of the equation I am not sure there would be so much elation over the signing of Tomlin or any of the other signings really - that's not a criticism as I am more than happy we are shopping within the budget of a club who attracts 15k supporters at best.
    2. The pressure is on Warnock to turn a trick on all signings due to budget
    3. To spend what is nearly 1/2 of the overall budget on one player and that player being tomlin is a bit bizarre as I like Tomlin and have always been fairly impressed when he has played against us but not for 1/2 our available budget
    4. Why has Warnock gone from saying he wanted another two/three players to now only one and that's it - I still think we are short up front to be honest - Saadi is an unknown, Ward is new and untested for us, Healy is injured and well Fred is Fred!!! That puts a lot of pressure in Zohore who is still relatively young in terms of experience?

Never mind as most people seem to say recently in Warnock we trust!!
    Let's be honest his term "final signing" left himself quite a lot of scope. He added unless players leave or someone comes available!

I would like to see us invest in a cheap version of Tomlin as well to give us a bit of competition in that area, however Ward and Hoilett can slot in there if needs must.

You can't ask Warnock to sign more players on the basis that "Ward is not tested for us"

Surely that will go for any player we sign unless we re-sign Whittingham or Chopra etc!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Let's be honest his term "final signing" left himself quite a lot of scope. He added unless players leave or someone comes available!

I would like to see us invest in a cheap version of Tomlin as well to give us a bit of competition in that area, however Ward and Hoilett can slot in there if needs must.

You can't ask Warnock to sign more players on the basis that "Ward is not tested for us"

Surely that will go for any player we sign unless we re-sign Whittingham or Chopra etc!

Yes clumsy wording from me in terms of Ward but it was the overall feel that the excitement with the signings just isn't there with me as yet and not because we haven't signed big money signings as I would rather we were managed financially sound rather than Malky/Ole type approaches

This makes a few more formations look feasible having someone in that role.

I've heard that the wurzels let Tomlin go because of a personality clash with Lee Johnson, but also that he was a bad influence in the dressing room - well, some of his former team mates are wishing him all the best at Cardiff.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/f...c-david-198069

What's Jurssets twitter? Has he said anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Yes clumsy wording from me in terms of Ward but it was the overall feel that the excitement with the signings just isn't there with me as yet and not because we haven't signed big money signings as I would rather we were managed financially sound rather than Malky/Ole type approaches
    No problem mate.

I know we all see football differently but i have read from quite a lot of posters i respect that they are basically underwhelmed by our transfer activity but i fail to understand this.

As J R Hartley said in his post above we have a very competitive squad now.

We have true competition for places in every position on the field. When was the last time we could say that?

We have bags of pace throughout the team.

We have leaders in Morrison, Bamba, Gunnarsson, Peltier.

We have height and power at set pieces.

We’ve replaced Whitts dead ball skills with Tomlin and he'll also be able to go past a man and pick out the strikers runs.

We have a good mix of youth and experience.

Danny Ward is a very good player who will compliment Zohore well. He’s an intelligent player with a cute touch as well as an eye for goal.

I know people think Damour is just a squad player but i think he'll be far more than that (time will tell i guess)

Patterson was being touted for a 3million+ move to West Ham before he got injured.

We have 3 goalkeepers now whereas on the eve of last season we had none!

Manga, Hoilett and Harris all signed new contracts which is something i have never witnessed as a Cardiff fan.

Mendez-Laing will keep Hoilett and Harris battling for their places.

The other potential plusses are we dont know what Saadi and Fred can bring to the table.

Kennedy may take his chance.

And finally we have Kenneth Zohore (boom)

I think we'll definitely challenge the play offs

No problem mate.

I know we all see football differently but i have read from quite a lot of posters i respect that they are basically underwhelmed by our transfer activity but i fail to understand this.

We have true competition for places in every position on the field. When was the last time we could say that?

We’ve replaced Whitts dead ball skills with Tomlin and he'll also be able to go past a man and pick out the strikers runs.

Danny Ward is a very good player who will compliment Zohore well. He’s an intelligent player with a cute touch as well as an eye for goal.

I know people think Damour is just a squad player but i think he'll be far more than that (time will tell i guess)

Patterson was being touted for a 3million+ move to West Ham before he got injured.

Manga, Hoilett and Harris all signed new contracts which is something i have never witnessed as a Cardiff fan.

The other potential plusses are we dont know what Saadi and Fred can bring to the table.

Very good post we could quite a season in front of us.

No problem mate.

Fair dos I am going to print this post off and read it when I am down 're my beloved CCFC - can't disagree with a word you say there and despite my glass is half empty post from earlier I am seriously looking forward to this season but even more so now because of your positivity.

Where do you sit in the ground cos I may well stalk you 🙌😁

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I can only beg your forgiveness , and that of the the mighty Ian Gibson, I also humbly apologies .
    You can apologise for leaving out Paul Ramsey too

Banned

League One Play-offs 2010/11

Player of the month January 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    League One Play-offs 2010/11

Player of the month January 2015

Oh look, Chepstow has logged into his other account now.

mediocre for that price