+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scary or dark books

Scary or dark books

Anyone like them?.

I've recently got into them and read Stephen King's Salems Lot and Pet Semetary.

Salems Lot was scary as shit but Pet Semetary was just full on depressing

Any recommendations?.

I looked at the Mr Mercedes trilogy but that looks like more of a thriller.

House of Leaves has been recommended to me.

I'm sure there was a long book thread on here but I can't find it.

Re: Scary or dark books

Not a horror, but a really good thriller...
    I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes...got some good gore in that!

Graham Potter and the Teenager of Ostersunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Not a horror, but a really good thriller...
    I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes...got some good gore in that!
    900 pages!.

Just went on to a review of it and it says the two main people don't meet until the end. Spoilers ffs!.

I am due to be away soon but ill get it when I get back cheers

The Mr Mercedes trilogy is a thriller series not horror, very good though.

Koko by Peter Straub is the only book I've ever read that made me turn the lights on reading it, scared the shit out of me.
    This is from goodreads reviews.

Just finished book one of this trilogy. This has been a group read with The Eclectic Club.
    I really don't know what to say here. This book ****s with you. It leaves you feeling dirty at times.
    Was I confused?...several times! A lot became clear but there were still many paragraphs and sentences that read like the mad dribble you'd hear at your local nut house.
    But did I like that confusion...that mad dribble? I sure did.
    This book was totally ****ed up but I enjoyed it enough to give it 4 stars and to buy books 2&3 of the trilogy (Mystery and The Throat).
    You can definitely see why King and Straub collaborated when you read Straub's writing style in this book. They are on the same plane here, but IMO, King still comes out on top!
    If I ever see a playing card with the word "Koko" written on it...I'm going to get the hell out of Dodge!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19577.Koko

My daughter loves 'A dark, dark tale'.

The jigsaw man
    By paul Britton

10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The Mr Mercedes trilogy is a thriller series not horror, very good though.

Koko by Peter Straub is the only book I've ever read that made me turn the lights on reading it, scared the shit out of me.
    This is from goodreads reviews.

Just finished book one of this trilogy. This has been a group read with The Eclectic Club.
    I really don't know what to say here. This book ****s with you. It leaves you feeling dirty at times.
    Was I confused?...several times! A lot became clear but there were still many paragraphs and sentences that read like the mad dribble you'd hear at your local nut house.
    But did I like that confusion...that mad dribble? I sure did.
    This book was totally ****ed up but I enjoyed it enough to give it 4 stars and to buy books 2&3 of the trilogy (Mystery and The Throat).
    You can definitely see why King and Straub collaborated when you read Straub's writing style in this book. They are on the same plane here, but IMO, King still comes out on top!
    If I ever see a playing card with the word "Koko" written on it...I'm going to get the hell out of Dodge!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19577.Koko
    Cheers I've added it to my amazon watch list.

Another one i've been on brink of buying was Ghost Story. I just noticed that is peter straub. So I've bought that.

chuck palahniuk writes some dark disturbing things, not horror just f****d up! Similar to Brett Eastern Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Cheers I've added it to my amazon watch list.

Another one i've been on brink of buying was Ghost Story. I just noticed that is peter straub. So I've bought that.
    Yeah that's good as well, also a very good film.

It by Stephen King is also excellent,though very long, well over a thousand pages but worth it.
    Worth delving into James Herbert and Clive Barker as well.

Though some Clive barker would be more fantasy than horror.

I loved reading all the Dennis Wheatley books when I was a teenager.

The Devil Rides out.
    The Satanist.
    To the Devil a daughter. etc , etc.

There is a TV movie of Salem's Lot which was quite scary too.

No book has unnerved me like Whitley Strieber's Communion

***** – My Story or Diary of the Real Soul Crew

fRee PNp etc...

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    ***** – My Story or Diary of the Real Soul Crew

fRee PNp etc...
    oNle 15 left SigNEd bi Theee auFeR.

Kujo (rabid dog) Stephen king.

Not into books like that but one that caught my attention was Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. Couldn't wait to read the next chapter. Not sure if it comes under the category of scary - more dark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WVVK...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Pretty sure you can get it for free though if you want a digital copy.

As Mr Mercedes was mentioned earlier, here's the trailer for the TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Not into books like that but one that caught my attention was Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. Couldn't wait to read the next chapter. Not sure if it comes under the category of scary - more dark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WVVK...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Pretty sure you can get it for free though if you want a digital copy.
    I read a lot of that through a forum a few years back, it was very good.

Yeah that's good as well, also a very good film.

It by Stephen King is also excellent,though very long, well over a thousand pages but worth it.
    Worth delving into James Herbert and Clive Barker as well.
    I've got 50 odd pages left of Ghost Story and I've got say I don't think it is particularly scary. Well written but not scary.

People are being picked off like flies so I sort of don't care about them. Creepiest bit was Sears talking about being a teacher and first meeting Bate!.

Unless something happens in the remaining pages....

I am a slow reader but it has taken about 10 days for me to get through it. Rapid by my usual standards. People online called it long winded. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I've got 50 odd pages left of Ghost Story and I've got say I don't think it is particularly scary. Well written but not scary.

People are being picked off like flies so I sort of don't care about them. Creepiest bit was Sears talking about being a teacher and first meeting Bate!.

Unless something happens in the remaining pages....

I am a slow reader but it has taken about 10 days for me to get through it. Rapid by my usual standards. People online called it long winded. Not at all.
    Its been quite a few years since I read it so while I remember enjoying it I probably remember the film better.

Weirdly I re read Salems Lot a year or so ago and couldn't believe how slow it was, again I first read it years ago when I was still at school and probably didn't care so much.
    His writing certainly gets tighter as the books go by. Just finished Bazaar of bad dreams another collection of short stories, some are better than others but id recommend it.
    Also check out his sons stuff, Joe Hill. Especially Heart shaped box.

I prefer dark boots. Those modern ones the players wear now with all the bright colours are scary.

Its been quite a few years since I read it so while I remember enjoying it I probably remember the film better.

Weirdly I re read Salems Lot a year or so ago and couldn't believe how slow it was, again I first read it years ago when I was still at school and probably didn't care so much.
    His writing certainly gets tighter as the books go by. Just finished Bazaar of bad dreams another collection of short stories, some are better than others but id recommend it.
    Also check out his sons stuff, Joe Hill. Especially Heart shaped box.
    I didn't realise there was a film, I'll watch that.

I think I found salem's lot more scary as it had a small cast of characters. Ghost Story is pretty vast and I ended up being not completely bothered who got picked off. It was good though I've finished it now.

I'll look at Bazaar and Heat shaped box.

Anything by H P Lovecraft