+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Taffs not very Well

Taffs not very Well

I assume a few posters on here were present at the game last night but for what they are worth here are my initial impressions.

First and foremost was surprised to see the size of Mendez-Lang when he walked passed me, thought wow he should be a forward not a winger! He started the game very well out right along with Cameron Cox who was right back and my man of the match they both appeared to strike up an early understanding of each other and both having pace to burn.

However, after Pilks early departure ML was moved up front to support Ward and this role looked completely alien to him and Warnock who was well within my earshot could be constantly heard giving him instructions. The loss of Pilks saw us introduce Wade who initially went over to the right. Damour had initially started in a deep lying midfield role and was neat and tidy on the ball. However, after about another 15 mins Warnock pulled Ralls to side of the pitch and instructed him to get Wade in alongside him, Kennedy out wide with Damour playing a more advanced mf role. My impression was that the frenchman was not as comfy in this role. What that first half did show that without the KZ - Tomlin axis, combined with the loss of Harris and Hoilet and injury to Pilks our choice of attacking options was somewhat limited!

The second half was something of a non event. However I did think Connor young at right back and Lloyd Humphries in the middle of the park who made good use of the ball acquitted themselves very well. Meite reminds me of a poor mans Ameobi! Blackwell could be seen shaking his head and laughing over some of his decission making throughout the second half! For me, our best performer on the night was Cameron Cox who looks an excellent prospect at right back as he appears to have numerous good attributes. However, right back is an area of our team where it is a nightmare for any prospect to break through currently when you consider Peltier, Patterson, Connoly and Richards are ahead of him, the lad has got his work cut out to say the least.

These games are impossible to form any conclusions as they are all about getting the players in shape for our kick off at Burton. Over the decades I have seen players perform great pre season then flop when it matters and vice versa. For myself these games offer me the opportunity to have a chat to players and I was lucky enough to speak to Tomlin who appears well up for the challenge ahead. I also spoke to Leggy who is absolutely delighted to be back involved with our club again. Have to say there is a vibe back around our club that I haven't witnessed for a long time. Bring on the delights of Devon!

Re: Taffs not very Well

No point reading too much into anything at this stage. It's the first pre season friendly, it's all about getting fitness

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post

These games are impossible to form any conclusions as they are all about getting the players in shape for our kick off at Burton. Over the decades I have seen players perform great pre season then flop when it matters and vice versa. For myself these games offer me the opportunity to have a chat to players and I was lucky enough to speak to Tomlin who appears well up for the challenge ahead. I also spoke to Leggy who is absolutely delighted to be back involved with our club again. Have to say there is a vibe back around our club that I haven't witnessed for a long time. Bring on the delights of Devon!
    Cant wait for the season to start.

It was almost like a summer sunny evening out at the village carnival with a great atmosphere and a friendly game of football going on at the same time. Agree that Mendez-Laing looks more like a centre back but appears to have some quality. Waite has been a great finisher for the U23's but didn't really get a chance last night - would like to have seen him in the box more second half because Meite looked like Bambi!
    Probably more of a decent training session for the squad than a game of football but quite enjoyable nevertheless.

I wasn't there, but Warnock did say he sent them out with no tactics, so it was literally just warm up and the team probably didn't really know what they were supposed to be doing from the off.

Absolutely, always enjoy pre season. Agree regards Waite (although I keep calling him James Wade for some reason - must be his DARTing runs)!! You had to laugh at Meite, move over Simon Howarth, as the Bambi reference was one we were using and quite apt!

I assume a few posters on here were present at the game last night but for what they are worth here are my initial impressions.

First and foremost was surprised to see the size of Mendez-Lang when he walked passed me, thought wow he should be a forward not a winger! He started the game very well out right along with Cameron Cox who was right back and my man of the match they both appeared to strike up an early understanding of each other and both having pace to burn.

However, after Pilks early departure ML was moved up front to support Ward and this role looked completely alien to him and Warnock who was well within my earshot could be constantly heard giving him instructions. The loss of Pilks saw us introduce Wade who initially went over to the right. Damour had initially started in a deep lying midfield role and was neat and tidy on the ball. However, after about another 15 mins Warnock pulled Ralls to side of the pitch and instructed him to get Wade in alongside him, Kennedy out wide with Damour playing a more advanced mf role. My impression was that the frenchman was not as comfy in this role. What that first half did show that without the KZ - Tomlin axis, combined with the loss of Harris and Hoilet and injury to Pilks our choice of attacking options was somewhat limited!

The second half was something of a non event. However I did think Connor young at right back and Lloyd Humphries in the middle of the park who made good use of the ball acquitted themselves very well. Meite reminds me of a poor mans Ameobi! Blackwell could be seen shaking his head and laughing over some of his decission making throughout the second half! For me, our best performer on the night was Cameron Cox who looks an excellent prospect at right back as he appears to have numerous good attributes. However, right back is an area of our team where it is a nightmare for any prospect to break through currently when you consider Peltier, Patterson, Connoly and Richards are ahead of him, the lad has got his work cut out to say the least.

Do you recall Wales last warm up game before the Euros, no, no one does really as we lost 3 nil to Sweden.
    Almost meaningless

Great post

Thanks a well measured ,not jugemental ,well constructed review of last night's game .

Your quote " Have to say there is a vibe back around our club that I haven't witnessed for a long time"" is the most telling and important part of your review.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thanks a well measured ,not jugemental ,well constructed review of last night's game .

Your quote " Have to say there is a vibe back around our club that I haven't witnessed for a long time"" is the most telling and important part of your review.
    A real feel good factor