+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Buying a road bike

Buying a road bike

What should I look for, is it worth buying new with cycle to work scheme or just buying second hand?

Re: Buying a road bike

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    What should I look for, is it worth buying new with cycle to work scheme or just buying second hand?
    Hybrid defo.

some real bargains on eBay if you know what your looking for, a lot of road cyclist tend to look after their bikes and move up to higher specs when they can afford to,
    do some research, frame and group sets cost the money, i bought planet x second hand off eBay in the end but considered boardman and bianchi.

With the state of Cardiff's roads I'd suggest you look at a hybrid

Tredz on Penarth Road is a decent place to take a look at bikes, avoid Halfords like the plague

How far is your commute? I used to ride 12 miles a day and have to cross a bridge. I ride a Browning road bike converted to single speed. A hybrid is just going to slow you down and make you work harder.

It partly depends on your budget - cycle to work is great as it allows you to pay in instalments and saves on the cost of a new bike. Plus there's usually no up front cost. It is a better deal if you're a higher rate tax payer, and also more of a saving if you use the full amount. I used it and was very pleased.

On the other hand my friend got a great deal on gumtree. I think he paid £350 - 400 for a very well kept bike. Probably worth at least double what he paid new.

A few people have mentioned hybrids - great if you're planning on just using it for commuting. You asked about a road bike specifically so I assume you're wanting it for more than that.

Main thing is to make sure it's comfortable so test ride a few. A few people I know have got planet x bikes, the pro carbon they went for mainly. There was a deal on where you can get pro carbon frame with the ultegra group set (gears and breaks and whatnot) for £995 or thereabouts. With cycle to work on the lower rate I think it works out at £55 a month. This might still be on, so check - you need to enter a code to get it.

I got a canondale with Shimano 105 set, I think it was about £1k as it was an ex display from Evans. So there are deals to be had like that as well.

One piece of advice I was given is that if you know you'll get into cycling, then spend a bit more now, rather than spend less on an alloy frame only to decide a year down the line you want a carbon frame - and then having to spend all over again.

Also, don't forget to factor in gear, helmet, you may want pedals & cleats, & padded shorts are a must or you'll not be able to sit down after a long cycle!

If you're going to buy new then it's worth waiting a couple of months.
    Most manufacturers will start pushing out their 2018 models in September. As a result you'll get some cracking deals on 2017 models. Last autumn I picked up a bike for £900 that was £1350 previously.

It's only to commute 5-6 miles each way to work to get some fitness along the taff trail (caerphilly to coryton) but then be able to use it now and again on the weekends

Perhaps hybrid is the way to go

It's only to commute 5-6 miles each way to work to get some fitness along the taff trail (caerphilly to coryton) but then be able to use it now and again on the weekends

Perhaps hybrid is the way to go
    I would just pick up something cheap then from gumtree or the like. No point spending hundreds on a bike you'll not really need.

It's only to commute 5-6 miles each way to work to get some fitness along the Taff trail (caerphilly to coryton) but then be able to use it now and again on the weekends
    I cycle that route regularly and strongly advise against riding a road bike on the Trail. It may be dry now but for much of the year it is damp/wet and often strewn with leaves which are a major hazard - ask Jimmy who I believe came off on leaves there.

I ride a mountain bike. Thick tyres with great stopping brakes - much, much safer than a road bike on the Trail. It's also a far better physical work-out - due to a heavier bike and greater road resistance because of the thick tyres. Another consideration is that I've never had a puncture on the Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I cycle that route regularly and strongly advise against riding a road bike on the Trail. It may be dry now but for much of the year it is damp/wet and often strewn with leaves which are a major hazard - ask Jimmy who I believe came off on leaves there.

I ride a mountain bike. Thick tyres with great stopping brakes - much, much safer than a road bike on the Trail. It's also a far better physical work-out - due to a heavier bike and greater road resistance because of the thick tyres. Another consideration is that I've never had a puncture on the Trail.
    Only problem is a mountain bike will be useless if I start getting involved with biking elsewhere.

Only problem is a mountain bike will be useless if I start getting involved with biking elsewhere.
    True.

I've got a mountain bike AND a road bike.

'If........', eh?

home bargins have got some cheap bikes

Make sure it has a bell. Everything else is just details!

I also strongly advise buying used. There plenty of people out there who thought they'd be a regular rider and bought a nice bike. A bike that's now unused and taking up space.

Just watch buying off Gumtree if it looks too good to be true as it is probably stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

You do have a good memory ! Road bike is not really the thing for the trail , not comfy riding and it will kill your bike .
    I have 4 bikes now , been a gradual progression , each more expensive than the last . Not a boast but an indication how the sport can grip you . Started with a cheap mountain bike , then bought a hybrid ( to do the trail ) then moved onto an out and out road bike. I also remember telling cyclops I couldn't see the point in road cycling. Spend most of my time on the road these days but still enjoy the likes of the Taff Trail on my mountain bike ( full suspension now) or my hybrid .

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I also strongly advise buying used. There plenty of people out there who thought they'd be a regular rider and bought a nice bike. A bike that's now unused and taking up space.
    It's finding the used bike that hasn't been used . Both my hybrid and road bike have done thousands of miles but look like new . In saying that they are well serviced and maintained .