+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone concerned we are not playing some quality teams pre-season to test us?

Anyone concerned we are not playing some quality teams pre-season to test us?

Re: Anyone concerned we are not playing some quality teams pre-season to test us?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    No

Re: Anyone concerned we are not playing some quality teams pre-season to test us?

Nope,doesn't matter one jot.~never has,never will.The man knows what he's doing.

Preseason is purely about fitness

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Preseason is purely about fitness
    This. Which is why it is pointless attending friendlies as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Yes, very much so. In fact, I reckon that our failure to arrange a series of tough, loseable friendlies will, ultimately, be the reason we fail to win promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Personally I tend to agree in so far as I don't go to friendlies. But nigh on 3,000 people did go and I assume enjoyed it. I guess they wanted to see some of the new players in action or just wanted to see some football.
    It also gave them chance to chat to some of the players and feel more engaged with the club.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Personally I tend to agree in so far as I don't go to friendlies. But nigh on 3,000 people did go and I assume enjoyed it. I guess they wanted to see some of the new players in action or just wanted to see some football.
    It also gave them chance to chat to some of the players and feel more engaged with the club.
    I rarely bother with friendlies, especially the home ones. But last night was ideal. Nice sunny Friday evening, tiny ground, relaxed atmosphere, kids sat by the touch line getting to see the players up close.
    Oh and there's a great pint in Fagins.

Pointless? Surely not?

Some fans might want to see the current crop of City players , sometimes up close, observe their fitness, skills, work-rate, watch them looking to form partnerships, showcase their skills, interact with the gaffer and the crowd - all that kind of stuff?

Some might, some might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Pointless? Surely not?

Some fans might want to see the current crop of City players , sometimes up close, observe their fitness, skills, work-rate, watch them looking to form partnerships, showcase their skills, interact with the gaffer and the crowd - all that kind of stuff?

Some might, some might not.
    Friendlies rarely give an indication of many of those things. The last friendly I watched was at Cheltenham. Steve Cottrill was their manager and he chatted to the Cardiff fans (including me).

The game was a bit hot tempered, Hibbitt threatened to take the players off as Cheltenham kicked Cardiff off the park. A few Cardiff fans made comments about Cardiff looking shit, Cottrill said something along the lines of the next game (against Orient) would be a different matter altogether and that managers rarely leave a friendly with unanswered questions.

He also said he wanted the game behind closed doors, but the board wanted to cash in and had to pay Cardiff a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, very much so. In fact, I reckon that our failure to arrange a series of tough, loseable friendlies will, ultimately, be the reason we fail to win promotion.
    You said the same about Wales not playing friendlies before the Euros

You said the same about Wales not playing friendlies before the Euros
    In this instance I was being sarcastic.

As I recall, I wasn't alone in wondering about our lack of match preparation before Euro 2016, but as it turned out, things went far better than anyone dreamed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In this instance I was being sarcastic.

As I recall, I wasn't alone in wondering about our lack of match preparation before Euro 2016, but as it turned out, things went far better than anyone dreamed!
    Sorry Eric.