+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lee Selby

Lee Selby

Fighting tonight.

I don't follow boxing religiously but I can't help but think he is one of the worst promoted fighters around.

A world champion and most of my friends didn't even know he was involved tonight.

Hopefully he gets Frampton eventually as it'll catapult him into the welsh media.

I have a quality stream if anyone wants it.

Re: Lee Selby

Sadly it's little to do with skill and more to do with marketability these days.

Unfortunately for him, as skillful as he is, to a wider audience Selby is a council estate chav with a pencil moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Fighting tonight.

I don't follow boxing religiously but I can't help but think he is one of the worst promoted fighters around.

A world champion and most of my friends didn't even know he was involved tonight.

Hopefully he gets Frampton eventually as it'll catapult him into the welsh media.
    Calzaghi didn't get much publicity either for a big part of his early career. By the way. Selbys brother looks a great prospect

His brother Andrew is another hot welsh prospect. Watched him fight a month or so back, and he looked really good. Future world champion

Unfortunately i dont think he will win tonight hope im wrong.

I actually agree completely with Kenwyne.

He went out to Mexico ala Barry Mcguigan in midweek to fight an unknown Mexicsn ffs!

What a way to come unstuck!

I don't think people like Frampton and Quigg want to go anywhere near him.

He’s a classy fighter that needs to get a promoter and **** off to America where he'll be loved for his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Fighting tonight.

I have a quality stream if anyone wants it.

Can you send me the stream details please?

PM'd you the stream ^

Ye I saw andrew selby for the first time in his last fight. An entertainer definitely.

Selby looking very sharp early rounds. Keep it going lad.

The sweet science

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sadly it's little to do with skill and more to do with marketability these days.

Unfortunately for him, as skillful as he is, to a wider audience Selby is a council estate chav with a pencil moustache.
    the first bit you are spot on with its all about who puts bums on seats and pays ppv monies
    money talks

What a performance from Selby. Bossed it from start to finish.

Absolute masterclass. Made the argentinian look like a pub fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Unfortunately i dont think he will win tonight hope im wrong.
    Glad i was wrong,I thought his head would have been in the shed with his mothers passing.

Been a brilliant under card tonight Hope the main fight coming up doesn't disappoint. Think CEJ will step right up to the plate, has the potential to be as good, if not better than his old man.

Team Selby need to get humble and pick up the phone to the Chirpy Sparrow (Eddie Hearn).
    Well done Lee for another great defence now lets sort out that twat Warrington from leeds.

Barely any coverage despite the heart breaking (and then warming?) story. It should set him up for a big fight where hopefully he gets a bit more attention.

First Team

I think that the main problem he faces is that whilst a technically well skilled fighter he is relatively light handed when compared to others in the weight class.
    Factor in that there are some class acts in his weight range then Hearn has done his usual ( and generally effective) of protecting his investment whilst seeking out the credible but beatable opponents rather than make the marquee fight.
    Pretty sure that Quigg must be in his sights as although dangerous he is beatable and has now suffered that big loss.
    Selby obviously needs to work on his media skills to make himself better known to the general public but if he gets a proper name as an oppo then that should help.
    However, sometimes it just comes down to charisma and/or manipulation of the general public and Selby and his team have shown little interest, so it seems from an outsiders point of few, of developing this.