+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our midfield

Our midfield

I still think we're one midfielder away from being a top team this season. I think Ralls is ok but i don't think he's good enough for a team challenging at the top of the championship.

I think both Ralls and O'Keefe looked very average last night against a team that are not even in the top flight of the Welsh pyramid.

I know it's just a game for fitness but nevertheless i still think pro players should be completely bossing these games.

I would love us to add one more quality midfielder, like Forrester from Peterborough.

Re: Our midfield

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I still think we're one midfielder away from being a top team this season. I think Ralls is ok but i don't think he's good enough for a team challenging at the top of the championship.

I think both Ralls and O'Keefe looked very average last night against a team that are not even in the top flight of the Welsh pyramid.

I know it's just a game for fitness but nevertheless i still think pro players should be completely bossing these games.

I would love us to add one more quality midfielder, like Forrester from Peterborough.
    We need two.

Forrester is an awesome shout Gringo! Top, top talent!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    We need two.
    I thought Loic looked decent last night

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    Forrester is an awesome shout Gringo! Top, top talent!
    He’s a cracking player Gibbo. Also he had a dip of form last season that caused him to lose his captaincy. Hopefully this will also have caused the asking price to dip too.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Move out the deadwood, Pilks, Noone, John Wilson etc and sign Ledley and were sorted

Forrester would thrive alongside Gunnarsson and Tomlinson.
    He reminds me of a young Michael Carrick with a bit of pace.
    Perhaps not the full technical repertoire.

Tonkin sorry

Tomlin sorry

I'd say one CM and one striker away from competing for top two places, but that won't happen unless we move out a number of players and get good money for a few.

Seems Damour wasn't a "Tan signing".

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ehind-13336556

Think you're a bit harsh on Ralls Gringo.

We are nowhere near a top 2 team.
    Top 10 possibly and with luck and few injuries maybe a bit higher.

Our squad has improved a touch but there's plenty of better ones out there.

Villa, Boro,Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Fulham, maybe Wolves, Norwich, Leeds etc..

By the time the season starts probably Hull and Brum once they've spent their money.

We are about 14th-16th with the bookies, I think that says a lot.

As for Ralls, come on, judging him on a short run in the friendliest of friendlies against a Welsh league side !

He was excellent toward the end of the season and also the season before.

Tomlin provides the spark now, Gunner the strength and its a player like Ralls who works hard, box to box and keeps ticking things over that is needed to balance it.
    Ledley or Huddlestone may be a better option, but we can't afford them. I'm more than happy to have Ralls in there whilst this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Villa, Boro,Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Fulham, maybe Wolves, Norwich, Leeds etc..

By the time the season starts probably Hull and Brum once they've spent their money.

As for Ralls, come on, judging him on a short run in the friendliest of friendlies against a Welsh league side !

Tomlin provides the spark now, Gunner the strength and its a player like Ralls who works hard, box to box and keeps ticking things over that is needed to balance it.
    Ledley or Huddlestone may be a better option, but we can't afford them. I'm more than happy to have Ralls in there whilst this is the case.
    Maybe I am a bit harsh but i think we need more in there if we're gonna get to the play offs.

I'm surprised you see us as low as you do. We were very competitive toward the back end of last season with very little to work with.

I'm not too worried about teams like Brum, Wolves and Leeds cos i think their strategy is all wrong.

I think Sunderland will struggle and i don't see Wednesday improving much.

We have all been in the championship long enough to know that the blend of your squad is important if you're gonna be successful.

I think it's so important to reflect on how we did last season.
    Only really Newcastle were comfortable against us and we've added some key players to supplement our squad.

Tomlin is a brilliant signing who will create something out of nothing. I really like the look of Damour, he made 2 or 3 passes through the lines on Friday and we haven't really had anyone willing to do that for a while.
    Mendez-Laing will be pushing Harris and Hoilett for a starting place. Ward has proven he can score goals in this division and Patterson has arrived with glowing references.

All this has been done with dismantling there core of the squad that competed last season.

I may be totally wrong and if i am i am but i think I’ve got fair reason to be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Absolutely right.
    We have to be about being a 'team' rather than an individuals.
    It's the same old.....but we need a good start, we need to score goals, we need to keep the momentum going and with that will come the confidence and belief that will make our players better players.

According to the carrot cruncher jurressett, we don't need a mid-field as the ball will be in the air.

If we can shift O'Keefe and Halford I wonder how close away Ledley signing will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    If we can shift O'Keefe and Halford I wonder how close away Ledley signing will be?
    Would Warnock shift Halford? I'd suggest we'd need to sell Noone and SOK first before any arrivals.

Halford isn't going anywhere.

He is the perfect squad player and Warnock trusts him. I think he will be better next season too - a year older and slower, but without the injury that held him back last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

He is the perfect squad player and Warnock trusts him. I think he will be better next season too - a year older and slower, but without the injury that held him back last year.
    You wouldn't have him out for Ledley, if that was on the table?

You wouldn't have him out for Ledley, if that was on the table?
    I'm 51:49 on that one. Ledley hasn't been fit enough to play a full part in Palace's team in the last few years and has missed the whole pre-season. I think he could be a major disappointment if he signed, despite his heroics for Wales and his impact when he was here last.

On balance I would like Ledley back. However, my opinion counts for nothing.

I'm convinced Warnock won't get rid of Halford, even if he and the Board decide to make an offer to Ledley. He brought Halford into the squad for his versatility, his eyes and ears for the manager, and his positive presence in the squad even if he isn't playing.

^^^ Good post. Wholly concur. I would really like Ledders back though.
    Not entirely rational - I just would!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Totally agree hes rated in football circles has many attributes,and can play anywhere which is so useful in this league.

I'd rather now go for a lesser known hard working midfielder,
    than Ledley, too much fanfare and cost

As he hasn't signed for anyone yet is he holding out for one last big pay day? I would rather we passed on Joe and looked to loan some youngsters from the top clubs

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    As he hasn't signed for anyone yet is he holding out for one last big pay day? I would rather we passed on Joe and looked to loan some youngsters from the top clubs
    Agree we should be looking at youngster loanees but goalie and defensive mid are the two areas in my opinion where you should always really favour experience.

I think Ledley could do a job however I think fans will expect too much of a player frankly on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Agree we should be looking at youngster loanees but goalie and defensive mid are the two areas in my opinion where you should always really favour experience.

I think Ledley could do a job however I think fans will expect too much of a player frankly on the decline.
    Agreed,he's not the high energy box to box player anymore but he would do a good job for us