+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock warns of more departures

Warnock warns of more departures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40618294

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock says he will trim his squad further before the new season begins.

Peter Whittingham, Rickie Lambert and Emyr Huws have already left the Championship side.

Wingers Craig Noone and Anthony Pilkington, plus left-back Declan John could also be surplus to requirements at Cardiff City Stadium.

"There's players who won't be here at the start of the season," Warnock confirmed.

"Fans might guess without me telling them really. I don't envisage going with more than about 21 or 22 players this year."

Re: Warnock warns of more departures

I'd guess its on wages so Noone, Pilkington, and perhaps Connolly

I'd keep pilkington if wages allow. You do not so easily allow a player who can score goals from midfield leave unless you are confident that you can replace them.

New signing in training...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'd keep pilkington if wages allow. You do not so easily allow a player who can score goals from midfield leave unless you are confident that you can replace them.
    Pilkington can't score goals

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I would too. He's a battler and has a fair bit of skill in him. One player who has gone a bit backward since Warnock arrived but could be useful if we play 433

Id keep Pilkington he can fill one of 3 positions effectively.
    I like Morrison but if we can get a good figure for him then we have some good players in as backup

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Id keep Pilkington he can fill one of 3 positions effectively.
    I like Morrison but if we can get a good figure for him then we have some good players in as backup
    Need to cash in on Morrison.

I love the hyperbole of headline writers - "warns", sure...

Noone has been a goner for a while now, ditto John.

Pilkington? I'd sell. I just don't see where he fits into the side with Warnock. Out and out winger like Hoilett, Harris or Kennedy? For me lacks pace there. Playing off striker? Never really stood out there for me. Out and out striker? No chance. For me, he's a sellable asset atm.

I'd not sell Morrison. You need 4 central defenders in the squad, don't see anyone in the DVP side that would demand the fourth spot. Manga/Bamba/Morrison with Connolly as the fourth CD means you can rotate if needed ( tactical / fitness related ) or even play 3 at back with wingbacks, so gives flexibility. I'd only consider selling him if a pretty large offer came in - you'd then be reliant upon Manga and Bamba with Connolly and I guess Peltier backing them up.

Bamba and Manga SHOULD be our starting central defenders. Cash in on Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Bamba and Manga SHOULD be our starting central defenders. Cash in on Morrison.
    I'd agree that Bamba and manga are probably the best two, but it's a long season and I think it would be madness to let Morrison go.

Manga will also miss January due to the African Cup of Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Pilkington? I'd sell. I just don't see where he fits into the side with Warnock. Out and out winger like Hoilett, Harris or Kennedy? For me lacks pace there. Playing off striker? Never really stood out there for me. Out and out striker? No chance. For me, he's a sellable asset atm.

I'd not sell Morrison. You need 4 central defenders in the squad, don't see anyone in the DVP side that would demand the fourth spot. Manga/Bamba/Morrison with Connolly as the fourth CD means you can rotate if needed ( tactical / fitness related ) or even play 3 at back with wingbacks, so gives flexibility. I'd only consider selling him if a pretty large offer came in - you'd then be reliant upon Manga and Bamba with Connolly and I guess Peltier backing them up.
    Good points there IMO.

Next Africa Nations Cup is 2019 as its World Cup next year.

I agree with pretty much all that

I am surprised noone is still here tbh. I like him but thought it would be over.

Agree with most but I'd keep Pilks. He can play in a lot of positions and can do a job anywhere, Warnock likes utility players like him too. Also, I'd imagine we're probably struggling to find a buyer.

Manga's injury record is hardly stellar, so to sell Morrison would be crazy in my opinion. I'd try and get him to sign a new contract, if not, sell for a large fee only, and if that happens, try to get a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Agree with most but I'd keep Pilks. He can play in a lot of positions and can do a job anywhere, Warnock likes utility players like him too. Also, I'd imagine we're probably struggling to find a buyer.

Manga's injury record is hardly stellar, so to sell Morrison would be crazy in my opinion. I'd try and get him to sign a new contract, if not, sell for a large fee only, and if that happens, try to get a replacement.
    I personally don't rate Pilkington at all.
    I can see he's good ability, as in good touch and technically decent etc.
    My problem is that he doesn't seem to fit into a team.
    His movement is dreadful and sometimes he just looks like he wants to throw his arms up in the the air and grizzle at everything.

I think we could get a fee for him so I'd sell him.