+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhiking.

Hitchhiking.

Never see many people thumbing a lift anymore. Anyone on here ever done it and got a lift? If so how far did you get? Anyone ever picked up a hitch hiker?

Re: Hitchhiking.

About 30 years ago Manchester to Swansea done in 3 lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Never see many people thumbing a lift anymore. Anyone on here ever done it and got a lift? If so how far did you get? Anyone ever picked up a hitch hiker?
    I usually stop for the ones with the traders plates (if I am heading in their direction).

I hitched all over the UK in my late teens and early twenties, in the 1980s and 1990s. Had a lift from Sheffield, en route to Cumbria, from a guy in a brand new Bentley Mulsanne. I've picked a few hitchhikers up too but no one for the past five or six years as I haven't seen any at all.

Hitching is fun with friends but can be scary when one is on one's own.i got a lift with two butch gays once and they spent two hours telling me about their S&M fetish. I was a little bit uneasy to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    I hitched all over the UK in my late teens and early twenties, in the 1980s and 1990s. Had a lift from Sheffield, en route to Cumbria, from a guy in a brand new Bentley Mulsanne. I've picked a few hitchhikers up too but no one for the past five or six years as I haven't seen any at all.

Hitching is fun with friends but can be scary when one is on one's own.i got a lift with two butch gays once and they spent two hours telling me about their S&M fetish. I was a little bit uneasy to be honest.
    😂👍

My first attempt as a youth was Cardiff to Cambridgeshire. Being a newbie I thought it best to try and travel as the crow flies. It took me fifteen lifts and a night dossing down in the woods. I didn't realise that it's better to go the long way round on faster roads and motorways.
    My second attempt was Cardiff to Germany, where my brother lived. I got mugged and attacked with a broken bottle in London en route and had a vein and three tendons severed by the glass (using my hand to protect my face). Almost died through blood loss but carried on after three days in hospital, albeit with my hand stitched up and in plaster and my face full of scabs after being kicked in the head. My lift was all the way from Greenwich hospital to my brother's town in Germany (via the ferry).
    Never had any problems hitching in the years thereafter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I usually stop for the ones with the traders plates (if I am heading in their direction).
    Guaranteed handjob eh?

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Guaranteed handjob eh?
    Only if the hitchhiker wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Only if the hitchhiker wants one.
    That happened just the once, and we were stuck in heavy traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My first attempt as a youth was Cardiff to Cambridgeshire. Being a newbie I thought it best to try and travel as the crow flies. It took me fifteen lifts and a night dossing down in the woods. I didn't realise that it's better to go the long way round on faster roads and motorways.
    My second attempt was Cardiff to Germany, where my brother lived. I got mugged and attacked with a broken bottle in London en route and had a vein and three tendons severed by the glass (using my hand to protect my face). Almost died through blood loss but carried on after three days in hospital, albeit with my hand stitched up and in plaster and my face full of scabs after being kicked in the head. My lift was all the way from Greenwich hospital to my brother's town in Germany (via the ferry).
    that made me laugh .

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    That happened just the once, and we were stuck in heavy traffic.
    So did that

Picked up my first ever hitchhiker a couple of months ago.
    Young hippieish kinda girl from Bath, probably about 20 or 21. Very pretty, well spoken but smelt like a dog on a hot day.
    Had to pull over somewhere and leave all the doors and windows open for 15 minutes after I'd dropped her off to get rid of the smell.

I hitched when I was a student in the 70s, not so much to/from uni, as you could almost always stick up a notice to find a lift, but in my industrial year, when I worked in Bracknell. Never more than 2 lifts in either direction. Worst experience was getting dropped off this side of Swindon on the way to Bracknell, there weren't many cars using that junction going my way, but the bloke that eventually picked me up happened to be going to be going within a couple of miles of my digs.

When I drove on business in the 90s, I thought it would be hypocritical not to pick up a hitcher - didn't have a great deal of opportunity, there didn't seem to be many hitchers around then, but I gave lifts to 3 or 4 people, no trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    About 30 years ago Manchester to Swansea done in 3 lifts.
    Maxim, King of the Hitch!

Way too many years ago, started out from Perth to hitch clockwise around Australia.

Four days, hundreds and of miles (barely any dent in the map), about 12 psychos and potential murderers later, I decided to get the coach instead..

Of course, coach broke down in the middle of nowhere. There was me and the driver (psycho) and these three other blokes and one woman (all potential murderers, complete with a detestation of 'POM's apparently feral, mullets, f*cked up eyes and monster teeth ..).

I survived somehow but ..
    Hitching ... not for me.

I am so pleased that my near-death experience was so amusing

Local bus experiences are FAR worse than anything posted on this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Local bus experiences are FAR worse than anything posted on this thread.....
    Severed artery?

Had the chance to give two scandinavians a lift to swansea centre.

Made up some ridiculous excuse like I wasn't going in that direction. Bear in mind this was in a service station 10-15 minutes outside of swansea, heading in that direction.

Regretted it, the one girl was superb as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Had the chance to give two scandinavians a lift to swansea centre.

Made up some ridiculous excuse like I wasn't going in that direction. Bear in mind this was in a service station 10-15 minutes outside of swansea, heading in that direction.

Regretted it, the one girl was superb as well.
    So what's the real reason you didn't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    So what's the real reason you didn't want to?
    1. I didn't have the minerals.

2. Watched too many hollywood films about hitchhikers being bad eggs

3. I wasn't totally sure on where I was going in the first place.

I would give them a lift now 100%.

Severed artery?
    Not today, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Not today, thanks

Late 60s/early 70s a few of us used to do City away regularly by thumb. Number 30 to the start of the M4 at Tredegar Park late on a Friday night and away we'd go. Never failed to get to the grounds the next day, few hairy moments, one in particular that a few on here know about. Football Special back after the match, police just piled you on, no train ticket check. Happy days.