+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tavistock. A town in two counties.

Tavistock. A town in two counties.

The purpose of this tour of Devon and Cornwall is to re-establish fitness rather than run riot at places like Tavistock.

It was slightly strange to see Cardiff City's big guns arrive in this sun-soaked corner of deepest Devon.

But as the Cornish sun set,

Wales online

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rdiff-13345955

Re: Tavistock. A town in two counties.

I love Devon and Cornwall got a 11 day holiday in four seperate places to look forward too , Salcombe ,Falmouth ,Padstow and back up to Woolacombe Bay , cider, pasties ,cream teas , some milky sunny days , then some rain , so you hide away in a pub for longer than planned , and watch the world slowly move by, read a good book , catch the odd boat trip on a windy day, who cares , God's country .

And many people are under the impression that Taunton is in Devon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And many people are under the impression that Taunton is in Devon.....
    Fools. Bloody fools.

Feedback

great for camping. Watermouth valley in Devon and Perranporth in Cornwall, the latter has a truly fantastic beach side bar that sells Korev

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I love Devon and Cornwall got a 11 day holiday in four seperate places to look forward too , Salcombe ,Falmouth ,Padstow and back up to Woolacombe Bay , cider, pasties ,cream teas , some milky sunny days , then some rain , so you hide away in a pub for longer than planned , and watch the world slowly move by, read a good book , catch the odd boat trip on a windy day, who cares , God's country .
    The beach at Woolacombe is fantastic. I used to take the dogs there for a run (lurchers). It was their doggie heaven, over half a mile of flat hard sand beach. They loved it. I was amazed how fast they could really run given the space.
    And then they'd collapse in the pub whle I had a few beers, my heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The purpose of this tour of Devon and Cornwall is to re-establish fitness rather than run riot at places like Tavistock.

It was slightly strange to see Cardiff City's big guns arrive in this sun-soaked corner of deepest Devon.

But as the Cornish sun set,

Wales online

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rdiff-13345955
    See it's a "Devonshire sun" now - agree with him about Mendez-Laing though based on the very limited highlights I've seen.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...citys-13346110

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    See it's a "Devonshire sun" now - agree with him about Mendez-Laing though based on the very limited highlights I've seen.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...citys-13346110
    Devonshire is a bit of an odd term in itself.
    Most of the shires are named after the major town in the county. I.e. Gloucester, Warwick, York, Lancaster etc

But there is no town called Devon, that was named after the Celtic tribe that live in this area.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Most of the shires are named after the major town in the county. I.e. Gloucester, Warwick, York, Lancaster etc

But there is no town called Devon, that was named after the Celtic tribe that live in this area.
    remind me, I need to go see Shrop sometime. I just need to know where it is

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    remind me, I need to go see Shrop sometime. I just need to know where it is
    That would be Shrewsbury. The name of the town and county seem to have diverged over time.

I think at one time it was called Salop or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The beach at Woolacombe is fantastic. I used to take the dogs there for a run (lurchers). It was their doggie heaven, over half a mile of flat hard sand beach. They loved it. I was amazed how fast they could really run given the space.
    And then they'd collapse in the pub whle I had a few beers, my heaven.
    Yes truly stunning bay and beach .

International

Glamorganshire??????

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Glamorganshire??????
    Similar to Devonshire I suppose, doesn't really fit with the general form of it. Glamorgan being named after a medieval Welsh kingdom of morgannwg. Then at some point it has had shire tacked on the end to make it sound more English.

I don't think I've ever said " I'm just heading back to glamorganshire' or anything like that

Similar to Devonshire I suppose, doesn't really fit with the general form of it. Glamorgan being named after a medieval Welsh kingdom of morgannwg. Then at some point it has had shire tacked on the end to make it sound more English.

I don't think I've ever said " I'm just heading back to glamorganshire' or anything like that
    Very true. We should be proud that we have rejected this Anglo term foisted upon us and it never took root.

On a similar topic, it always bugs the crap out of me when people describe where they live / visit by the shire instead of the town / City. Pretentious nonsense NQAT

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Very true. We should be proud that we have rejected this Anglo term foisted upon us and it never took root.

On a similar topic, it always bugs the crap out of me when people describe where they live / visit by the shire instead of the town / City. Pretentious nonsense NQAT
    i live in small village in suffolk, if i said i was from Bentley the first thing i would be asked is where is that, in Suffolk, pretentious nonsense or just say i,m from suffolk near ipswich

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    i live in small village in suffolk, if i said i was from Bentley the first thing i would be asked is where is that, in Suffolk, pretentious nonsense or just say i,m from suffolk near ipswich
    Surely saying you're from Suffolk can never be pretentious.

Surely saying you're from Suffolk can never be pretentious.
    beautiful county from constable country to aldeburgh to the southern broads, Ipswich isn't up to much mind

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post

Unless you live in a large town or city people are often more likely to understand where you live if you give the name of the county.