+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BBC Employees pay

Re: BBC Employees pay

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Plenty of people have been getting fed up with BBC to be honest. I end up paying the same for watching the news and Question Time as others who are glued to the Beeb. Understandable people would get irked by that - I'd be happy to have zero access to BBC output in return for not having to pay for a license.

BBC has a private arm in BBC Worldwide - end of the day I can't see how they can justify having a commercial arm yet still want to be funded by what is a de facto tax.
    This has almost nothing to do with the thread or whether there is anything to gain from publishing salaries without some kind of context (i.e. measured against salaries obtainable elsewhere). They are paid, in part, by taxation but so are the salaries of staff within the many massive companies who rely on public money through government and local authority contracts yet there appears to be no great rush to show us those. Why for one and not the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    It isn't compulsory to pay the tv license
    It's not compulsory. It's not compulsory to do anything, if you want to go down that route.

Don't pay it, could well be imprisoned. Don't even have a TV and you still get letters and knocks on the door.

All that being said, Lineker does look shit value.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    All that being said, Lineker does look shit value.
    Bear in mind, Lineker was actually on a higher salary than that.

BBC wanted to reduce his salary - Lineker and his agent agreed on the proviso that he no longer be exclusive to BBC, which is why he now also appears on BT Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Whats strange about it? We have a choice. We dont have to pay to go to the games, we dont have to pay for Satellite TV.

If you disagree that much with the amount footballers get paid then simply stop paying towards the product.

We have no choice with the TV licence and paying our taxes.
    £145.50 Is marvelous value for money for a excellent world class product , I disagree with all higher wages and have made the choice not to pay for Sky as that is the greed that drive the premiership obscene wages machine and money out of the pockets of the less well off footy fan .

And there are many more footballers than the 150 BBC people earning more than £150k PA (its more like hundreds on more than 150k per week) , and working out of ways to dodging their tax liability ,as best they can , better they paid into the society that created their wealth.

I'm shocked you cant see the utter imbalance of the argument .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    This was started by John whittingdale the former culture secretary, who is rampantly anti BBC and very pro Rupert Murdoch.
    He would love to dismantle the BBC.

Currently you have to pay for a TV licence, but even if you don't watch, read or listen to any BBC content you get a real benefit from the BBC being there.
    For starters there is a very good return on money invested in the BBC, additionally it has a profound effect on the quality of output on other channels by simply being there producing a certain quality of output.
    If it wasn't there C4 and itv would not need to spend much on programming to gain market share and we would get lots of cheap output and a hell of a lot more USA imports.
    If you have spent much time watching TV in places like Australia or France then I think that's the way we would be heading.

Whittingdale thinks that without the BBC then itv would become the next HBO. I think the reality is that itv would become ITV2.
    Good post. BBC production standards keeps production values up in the commercial competition. We all win in that respect.

The BBC is not perfect. It has been bullied by the Tory Gov't over the licence fee and appears to have given in to them to some extent. And f*ck knows what happened to its news reporting.

But some some of these people are clearly paid too much, and not worth it.
    Who would miss Chris Evans if he fooked off- really?

When we consider that their inflated swag comes from the pockets of millions of hard-working low paid workers who are struggling to make ends meet and will get into legal trouble if they cant afford the license fee, it is a bit repulsive.

Also, it does seem to be a bit lad heavy that list eh?
    I hope that the 'fix' is not to equally inflate the wages of the most prominent women in the BBC.
    Those blokes need a damn good trim first ..

It's just more divide and conquer and it's working, twitter's having a field day!!!, people (all people) take what they can get, I would guess that every single poster on this board would not turn down a pay rise, BBC is funded by public cash and should, I suppose be seen to get value for money but why stop at the BBC?.

Considering the difference between the pay for men and women,the BBC must be saving a shitload on the new Dr.Who...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Considering the difference between the pay for men and women,the BBC must be saving a shitload on the new Dr.Who...
    Did you borrow that from Richard Herring?

Tv license should be scrapped. It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Did you borrow that from Richard Herring?
    No,my wife just said it.
    She may have though.
    Bitch. Thought it was a bit sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    The BBC does make some fantastic television when they try, amongst the dross of TV reality and soaps.

Lightbulb Re: BBC Employees pay

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Good post. BBC production standards keeps production values up in the commercial competition. We all win in that respect.

The BBC is not perfect. It has been bullied by the Tory Gov't over the licence fee and appears to have given in to them to some extent. And f*ck knows what happened to its news reporting.

But some some of these people are clearly paid too much, and not worth it.
    Who would miss Chris Evans if he fooked off- really?

When we consider that their inflated swag comes from the pockets of millions of hard-working low paid workers who are struggling to make ends meet and will get into legal trouble if they cant afford the license fee, it is a bit repulsive.

Also, it does seem to be a bit lad heavy that list eh?
    I hope that the 'fix' is not to equally inflate the wages of the most prominent women in the BBC.
    Those blokes need a damn good trim first ..
    I disagree in part, yes the wages are big but that's just how much it costs to get someone who is good at that job.
    I think Chris Evans is an irritating twat, but there's no way I could do a radio show that so many millions of people would want to listen to. It would be hilariously bad.
    If most of these people were working for sky or itv their salaries would be much higher

I disagree in part, yes the wages are big but that's just how much it costs to get someone who is good at that job.
    I think Chris Evans is an irritating twat, but there's no way I could do a radio show that so many millions of people would want to listen to. It would be hilariously bad.
    If most of these people were working for sky or itv their salaries would be much higher
    Yup, other side of the coin and it's hard to find a clear argument against it.
    I don't think CE is good value mind, but that is simply a personal taste thing maybe.
    Even in 2017 - maybe, just maybe - not everything for everyone is purely and entirely about money.

I ve got no real problems with most of the salaries published here but I don't particularly watch MOTD because LIneker and Shearer are on. In fact with MOTD, I wish they would show more highlights and less punditry because sometimes they just go over the same thing,time and time again. As to Chris Evans, is some of his salary down to his brief stint on Top Gear?

A complete didvide and conquer tactic from the Government.
    Some bell end from around these parts was ringing Jeremy Vine yesterday slating him for his salary. Aside from the fact Jeremy Vine is very good at what he does the whole thing reeks of a cheap shot from the government in an an attempt to distract from their ongoing catastrophes.

But hey those Daily Mail Express and Sun headlines look good though eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I ve got no real problems with most of the salaries published here but I don't particularly watch MOTD because LIneker and Shearer are on. In fact with MOTD, I wish they would show more highlights and less punditry because sometimes they just go over the same thing,time and time again. As to Chris Evans, is some of his salary down to his brief stint on Top Gear?
    I saw it written on Twitter that lineker effectively gets 1p per viewer per episode of motd.

I thought that this was illuminating re: the gender pay gap.

IMG_20170720_084608.jpg

Up until the age of 50, there is effectively no pay gap at all.

Beyond 50 the difference is 4:1.
    The highest earners for men are in this category, but there are very few women.
    This probably reflects issues in the wider media, where it is much more difficult for older woman to get work than older men. Women are far more judged for their appearance than men in society in general, and this is magnified on TV.
    By the age of 50, when some men have become trusted household names and able to command the biggest salaries, women are being excluded from this.
    It's pretty hard to imagine Tess Daly presenting the dancing program when she's as old as Bruce Forsyth.

The alternative would be adverts.
    Many many adverts.

These people earn less than I thought they did.

I hope the public see this latest attack on the Beeb for what it is.

I think it will eventually be scrapped, and replaced with an online subscription service I.e. a monthly subscription to iPlayer.
    I would prefer it was scrapped and paid for out of a miniscule raise in income tax. This way at least it would be progressive, and people won't be in jail for avoiding paying for it.

I think it will eventually be scrapped, and replaced with an online subscription service I.e. a monthly subscription to iPlayer.
    I would prefer it was scrapped and paid for out of a miniscule raise in income tax. This way at least it would be progressive, and people won't be in jail for avoiding paying for it.
    i hope not. that would mean lazy dole bums wouldnt have to pay for it and good people like me who work would be paying for them

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    i hope not. that would mean lazy dole bums wouldnt have to pay for it and good people like me who work would be paying for them
    You mean people who can afford to pay for it do, and people who can't don't have to?

You mean people who can afford to pay for it do, and people who can't don't have to?
    thats how life works.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    thats how life works.
    I'm glad you agree, we should look after the less fortunate