+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok. What would you lot do.

Ok. What would you lot do.

I'm not gonna name any names or places, but a guy who drinks in my local, has blacked out and fainted twice with in the last couple of months. He's in his early 60's. The 1st time I wasn't there but was told about it. I was there other day when it happened again.
    On both occasions, he's come around pretty quick, and seems fine minutes later.
    On the 1st occasion he was given a seat and some water, and advised by a few people to visit his doctor for a check up, but days later he admitted that he hadn't.
    On the 2nd occasion, the barmaid was all for calling an ambulance, but as he regained his composure, he got really ratty, and said he didn't want any medical attention because he may get banned from driving.
    There in lies the dilemma. He works as a road digger and drives one of those huge lorrys with the digger and other plant on the back.
    I got to thinking about that bin lorry driver up in Glasgow who blacked out at the wheel killing all those people.
    I feel if the same tragedy happened again, then those of us who know about his condition, would be as guilty as him for not saying anything. Do I report him to the authorities, where he could lose his job, or just mind my own business.
    I'm the type of person, who wouldn't do it behind his back. If I was going to report him I'd speak to him first and give him the chance to do it himself, otherwise I'd tell him I was going to do it.
    We would probably fall out big time if I "grassed" him, and he'd probably tell every one in the boozer what I'd did.
    What would you lot do? Report him or ignore it?

Re: Ok. What would you lot do.

grass on him then find a different boozer to drink in

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I'm not gonna name any names or places, but a guy who drinks in my local, has blacked out and fainted twice with in the last couple of months. He's in his early 60's. The 1st time I wasn't there but was told about it. I was there other day when it happened again.
    On the 1st occasion he was given a seat and some water, and advised by a few people to visit his doctor for a check up, but days later he admitted that he hadn't.
    On the 2nd occasion, the barmaid was all for calling an ambulance, but as he regained his composure, he got really ratty, and said he didn't want any medical attention because he may get banned from driving.
    There in lies the dilemma. He works as a road digger and drives one of those huge lorrys with the digger and other plant on the back.
    I got to thinking about that bin lorry driver up in Glasgow who blacked out at the wheel killing all those people.
    I feel if the same tragedy happened again, then those of us who know about his condition, would be as guilty as him for not saying anything. Do I report him to the authorities, where he could lose his job, or just mind my own business.
    I'm the type of person, who wouldn't do it behind his back. If I was going to report him I'd speak to him first and give him the chance to do it himself, otherwise I'd tell him I was going to do it.
    We would probably fall out big time if I "grassed" him, and he'd probably tell every one in the boozer what I'd did.
    Why tell him? He's obviously not a decent guy, just report him.

Are you a doctor? If not mind your own business

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

So you'd be happy if he blacked out at the wheel possibly causing the death of others?

The guy clearly has some kind of medical issue. He'd rather potentially place others in danger than get treatment - the problem could be anything from blood pressure to heart issues. Reporting him could force him to get that treatment, which could save his own life.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    So you'd be happy if he blacked out at the wheel possibly causing the death of others?

The guy clearly has some kind of medical issue. He'd rather potentially place others in danger than get treatment - the problem could be anything from blood pressure to heart issues. Reporting him could force him to get that treatment, which could save his own life.
    Another doctor!

Could just be the guy having one too many drinks for all you know

Does he black out when not drinking? It's hard to say. Have a quiet word with him and express your concern, that if he doesn't get himself checked out you can't allow him to drink at your pub any longer. Also, seeing as you probably know other pub owners locally, let them know why he's no longer drinking at your pub and ask them to follow suit until he gets it checked out. Let him know you're taking that step. If he blacks out again then call the ambulance.

Sorry, got missread my local for my pub. I now presume you just share a watering hole. Have a word with the owner and ask what they want to do about it.

As a paramedic with 24 years experience my advice would be to encourage him to go and see his GP. The causes of syncope (blackouts, fainting) are numerous. My concerns would be an undiagnosed cardiac or neurological condition. In any case; have a chat with him explaining your concerns and if he is still reluctant to address the issue, call the DVLA. Far too many innocent people are killed on our roads when the cause is wholly preventable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    As a paramedic with 24 years experience my advice would be to encourage him to go and see his GP. The causes of syncope (blackouts, fainting) are numerous. My concerns would be an undiagnosed cardiac or neurological condition. In any case; have a chat with him explaining your concerns and if he is still reluctant to address the issue, call the DVLA. Far too many innocent people are killed on our roads when the cause is wholly preventable.
    In before J R Hartley :

Another doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    In before J R Hartley :

Another doctor!
    No, I'm a fecking paramedic!

Its nice to see you are concerned, so many people walk by things like this now , in another age one would help or report it ,problem being this may not be the right forum to ask the question.

Do they right thing is the answer,hate to see another awful accident occur to an innocent family .

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    No, I'm a fecking paramedic!
    Same thing, just better...

Tell that to parents who have lost a child or someone who has lost a friend or relative due to a driver blacking out at the wheel.

When he not about have a quiet word with other regulars and tell them how you are thinking, prob a few would agree with you. Try convincing him to get checked out but if that fails I don't think you are left with many other choices than to report him.

Also thanks for sharing with us, now we can all feel guilty together if anything happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    When he not about have a quiet word with other regulars and tell them how you are thinking, prob a few would agree with you. Try convincing him to get checked out but if that fails I don't think you are left with many other choices than to report him.

Also thanks for sharing with us, now we can all feel guilty together if anything happens.
    👍😂

Banned

No wonder he's fooked.

How would you feel if you didn't report him and then he blacked out behind the wheel?

Prawn cocktail

I'm surprised the landlord doesn't insist on calling an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Clearly the best advice.

Another doctor!

Could just be the guy having one too many drinks for all you know
    Or not!

Personally I'd report it and have no guilt.
    My dad used to drive petrol tankers, one day as he was pulling into a carpark he had a stroke and completely lost control.
    Thankfully he had literally slowed to a snails pace, even so he went into a wall but no damage caused.
    For years afterwards he'd have nightmares about what could have happened if he'd had the stroke belting down the motorway with a full load and losing control.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Tell that to parents who have lost a child or someone who has lost a friend or relative due to a driver blacking out at the wheel.
    Spare us the sanctimonious, hyperthetical, emotional blackmail bollocks please.
    None of us know this guy and the OP has form for dramatisation.

I've got bi polar. On a combination of drugs (risperidone-sertraline) and when I get a funny turn "manic high, pshycotic low, I get a stay in hospital untill I'm square, and I'd never even think about driving when I ain't square. To me, what you are explaining is even worse. The guy obviously needs help but don't realise....you would be doing him a favour by getting him hauled in and helped. It's up to you to get him help