+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it worse than the Rebrand?

Was it worse than the Rebrand?

I remember when the news broke that we were possibly hours or minutes away of going under and that Sam Hammam was demanding payments for his management companies and i believe a pay off to a family member or the club would go into administration.
    The feeling i felt hearing the news was the worse id felt following City and believed it was the end for the club..
    Hated the rebrand but the fear of losing my club felt worse..

Re: Was it worse than the Rebrand?

It certainly was, and it’s amazing that Scam is still hero worshipped by some!

wasnt it Ned ? ? ?

Yep, the ****er had us over a barrel wanting a payment for him and his brother.
    If I remember rightly Steve Borley broke the news that he had signed on this here board.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I remember when the news broke that we were possibly hours or minutes away of going under and that Sam Hammam was demanding payments for his management companies and i believe a pay off to a family member or the club would go into administration.
    The feeling i felt hearing the news was the worse id felt following City and believed it was the end for the club..
    I remember the solidarity and the atmosphere in the following home game against Sheffield Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I remember the solidarity and the atmosphere in the following home game against Sheffield Utd.
    Wasn't that a different time?
    That was after black Friday Shirley?

Very pleased that he has gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yes, I thought that's what the op was about. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    And Super Joe scored the winner. That was a great feeling. Different time though, neither good!

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I don't think so Stan, we hear that this club or that club will be going under very often but very very rarely happens, with a list min reprieve often being the case, the re-brand happened and although now reversed, the damage done will stick for many years, whilst i've not got a season ticket this year, I do intend to take in quite a few home games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It certainly was, and it’s amazing that Scam is still hero worshipped by some!
    It was 100 times worse! I remember hearing the news and gathering a few friends to listen to updates in the Mason's Arms, Whitchurch as we huddled around a wireless for more news. It was very sombre indeed.

I then drove down to NP where there was a throng of fans outside the old main entrance, where some fans had been invited into said meeting. IIRC, we all sauntered away after a while with a few 'faces' saying Scam had sorted it.

Was that the meeting where Mike Hall came out talking about 'sharks swimming around'?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    It was 100 times worse! I remember hearing the news and gathering a few friends to listen to updates in the Mason's Arms, Whitchurch as we huddled around a wireless for more news. It was very sombre indeed.

I then drove down to NP where there was a throng of fans outside the old main entrance, where some fans had been invited into said meeting. IIRC, we all sauntered away after a while with a few 'faces' saying Scam had sorted it.

Was that the meeting where Mike Hall came out talking about 'sharks swimming around'?
    I managed to blag my way into that meeting, an interesting hour or so with a few faces not holding back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I managed to blag my way into that meeting, an interesting hour or so with a few faces not holding back.
    In that case, I'm glad there was some sensible fan representation in there at the time. Are we now able to say officially that Nelsonca61 aka Heathblue saved our beloved Bluebirds??

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    In that case, I'm glad there was some sensible fan representation in there at the time. Are we now able to say officially that Nelsonca61 aka Heathblue saved our beloved Bluebirds??
    It was an interesting day!!, cannot remember as to why i was not working but listening as the updates were coming through just decided to go and have a nose at the ground, it wasn't an invite but basically those who were there, were just asked upstairs when Sam arrived, and for all that went on and obviously some of it very bad, I still look back at Sam's time as a positive, I liked his outlook and enthusiasm, for all the bad points he re-energised the club and gave me about 12 years of spending a lot of time with my son who was a season ticket holder with me, my lad's 1st game was the Blackpool home game at the start of Sam's era, the real downward spiral for me was the Ridler era.

And yet Sam the scam still revered by certain people even though he tried to take the club for all its worth.
    It ****ing stinks.
    Tannis keeps banging on and on about Tan even though he told him we would take his 100m for a change to red, yet won't have nothing said against Sam. Hmmmmmmm.

I didn't see any resistance from Tannis when we were winning the championship, only when we were getting relegated from the Prem and he tried to take the credit for Sian and Bluebirds United. Hmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    It was an interesting day!!, cannot remember as to why i was not working but listening as the updates were coming through just decided to go and have a nose at the ground, it wasn't an invite but basically those who were there, were just asked upstairs when Sam arrived, and for all that went on and obviously some of it very bad, I still look back at Sam's time as a positive, I liked his outlook and enthusiasm, for all the bad points he re-energised the club and gave me about 12 years of spending a lot of time with my son who was a season ticket holder with me, my lad's 1st game was the Blackpool home game at the start of Sam's era, the real downward spiral for me was the Ridler era.
    Now I've matured a bit, I do now see that Sam in hindsight, was a necessary evil for us to be plucked from basement / dungeon perennial doom to the heights of the Championship. He did indeed spot a 'sleeping giant' and lifted us up, albeit by very dubious means.

His energy, enthusiasm and what I do believe was his love for us (watching every match including down to the Academy / U18s etc) was real.

However, the neverending 'end' of his connection soured my memories of him completely. I'm now completely glad the specter of Hammam has been removed from the club and we're all free to move onwards and upwards.

I'm now looking forward immensely to the new campaign. We now have real football people at the club for the first time in ages
    (Sam was undoubtedly a football man, I'll give him that), and Vincent Tan and Ken Choo are backing them.

I'm genuinely excited for the new season. I even think the new kit looks good looking at the Taffs Well photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Was it there after the rebrand? I remember stories of fans fighting on the terraces.

The rebrand was fukall, cos deep down we all new it was only temporary. It was never gonna last

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Was it there after the rebrand? I remember stories of fans fighting on the terraces.
    Yes because fans never fought on the terraces before the rebrand did they?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And yet Sam the scam still revered by certain people even though he tried to take the club for all its worth.
    It ****ing stinks.
    Tannis keeps banging on and on about Tan even though he told him we would take his 100m for a change to red, yet won't have nothing said against Sam. Hmmmmmmm.
    Just a thought and correct me if i'm wrong here but i'm sure he was very vocal in protests against Clemo , Ridsdale and Tan but can't seem to remember him saying anything about Sam Hammam or trying to organise a protest.

Yes because fans never fought on the terraces before the rebrand did they?

Thanks for the polite response CCFCCasual.

I didn't see any resistance from Tannis when we were winning the championship, only when we were getting relegated from the Prem and he tried to take the credit for Sian and Bluebirds United. Hmmmmmmm.
    Sian did a good job with Bluebirds Unite, Didnt he or someone else try to change the name and ended up falling out with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Thanks for the polite response CCFCCasual.
    Neigh problem Jirga

Neigh problem Jirga
    Wrong horse and jockey mate.