+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morrison has signed a new contract

Morrison has signed a new contract

Good I say

Sean Morrison signs new deal

Club just announced

Breaking news from the Bluebirds' base in Cornwall...

We are delighted to announce that Cardiff City FC Club Captain, Sean Morrison, has signed a new three-year deal with the Bluebirds.

The twenty-six-year old centre-half has committed to a new contract that will keep him at Cardiff City Stadium until the summer of 2020.

Having signed for City in the summer of 2014, Sean has made 120 appearances in all competitions and scored thirteen goals. He was made Club Captain in the summer of 2016.

Speaking to iFollow Cardiff City on Thursday morning, Sean said: “I’m really pleased to have got things done so quickly having spoken to the Board and the Gaffer.

“Fortunately, it’s been quite easy going – I made it clear that I wanted to stay at Cardiff City and the Gaffer told me he wanted me. I’m absolutely delighted to be here for the next three years.

“Our form towards the end of last year showed what we’re capable of as a team and hopefully we can take that straight into the new season.”

Neil Warnock added: “You’ve got to take your hat off to Sean. He could have moved on having been made quite a lucrative offer, but he told me, ‘I don’t want to Gaffer – I think there’s something special happening here.’

“He thinks we could really do something next season and that shows great commitment to the Club and where we are right now.”

Executive Director & CEO Ken Choo commented: “It was very important that we secured Sean’s future this summer.

“He’s been an excellent captain for us so far and we’re looking forward to having him for another three years.

“We had no hesitation in extending Sean’s time with us and we see him as a key part of our future.”

Re: Sean Morrison signs new deal

He is going to be captain for a long time I think.

Still only 26.

Re: Morrison has signed a new contract

Personally i think it's great news. Bamba and Manga receive a lot of plaudits but Morrison's positioning and discipline allows them to attack the ball.

It’s also great to see players actually wanting to stay at the club. Feel good factor everywhere in the club at present.

Good to see a player that is seemingly in demand who could probably earn more elsewhere, believing in what is happening at the club and wanting to be part of it.

Re: Sean Morrison signs new deal

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    He is going to be captain for a long time I think.

Still only 26.
    He looks a lot older than bloody 26.

Good news though, as gringo says, good to see players wanting to stay at the club, must be a good feeling among the players.

For 4 million I think we should have cashed in. Prefer a Bamba and Manga partnership, could have brought in someone younger for back up. Would have been happy with Joe Walsh as a rotation player.

Exactly. Warnock said in interview that he would've earned considerably more if he took up offer from another championship club. Great to see in this day and age and testimony to Warnocks man management skills.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Personally i think it's great news. Bamba and Manga receive a lot of plaudits but Morrison's positioning and discipline allows them to attack the ball.

It’s also great to see players actually wanting to stay at the club. Feel good factor everywhere in the club at present.
    I rate Morrison, sure he has flaws but that's why he's playing for us. Also, Manga can't stay fit and Warnock is a big fan of his. It's great that players actually want to stay here though. If our lads are turning down (and I'm presuming here) the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, shows we are finally going in the right direction. The Warnock effect should not be underplayed, and shouldn't under sell the work Ken Choo has done either.

Good news.
    How refreshing to have a player who wants to be here for the right reasons

Good news as he is a key player & also prevents us from losing him for nothing next Summer.

I suspect that discussions are also underway with Gunnarsson noting that he is now in the final year of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Exactly. Warnock said in interview that he would've earned considerably more if he took up offer from another championship club. Great to see in this day and age and testimony to Warnocks man management skills.
    I'm a fan of Manga but i do find it bizarre the different standards he and Morrison are judged by.

Even Monday night the Wales online reporter said that Manga made two big mistakes but was class throughout!

Manga has a mistake in him every game and he and Bamba often get drawn out of their position which without Morrison would often be costly.

Morrison has been very good for us on the whole, and has been getting better year by year. As in the case of Hudson he could be one of those players who is appreciated far more when he's gone.

He's definitely one appreciated more by professionals in the game than fans, though this (for us) may partially be because of the over-priced fee we paid for him. Don't think he will reach Hudson levels of admiration but he is gaining fans respect with this statement.

I'm sure a wage rise is in there somewhere ,he's a decent enough center half at this level ,with the other two lads in a three could be very good , its a tough position to play ,one mistake and your one nil down .

Now that really is an excellent signing

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    For 4 million I think we should have cashed in. Prefer a Bamba and Manga partnership, could have brought in someone younger for back up. Would have been happy with Joe Walsh as a rotation player.
    I don't know why people keep going on about a Bamba & Manga partnership.
    Warnock clearly rates Morrison highly and is keeping him as captain. That tells me that unless he plays them all in a back three then if it's a two it's going to be Morrison plus 1.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Now that really is an excellent signing
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I rate Morrison, sure he has flaws but that's why he's playing for us. Also, Manga can't stay fit and Warnock is a big fan of his. It's great that players actually want to stay here though. If our lads are turning down (and I'm presuming here) the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, shows we are finally going in the right direction. The Warnock effect should not be underplayed, and shouldn't under sell the work Ken Choo has done either.
    ^^^ This ^^^

We've actually signed and retained good players thanks to Warnock and we haven't felt this positive since the start of our promotion year. Watching iFollow the team looked very comfortable together and keeping Morrison keeps that defensive core that Magna et al needs to be able to ply their trade.

Solid at the back, fast down the flanks and deadly in the box...that looks to be the new Cardiff way?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    The fact he's our captain at 26 says a lot about his character. You need these strong heads to be successful. I always go back to it but it's why we should've kept Hudson, even if his playing time was limited, his influence in the dressing room is massive. He's a leader, and I think Morrison is too. A young back up wouldn't improve the squad if we sold him.

How did Hudson get on last season? Oh yeah, promoted to premiership with Huddersfield as club captain. And they're keeping hold of him by the looks of it.

Never thought I'd be so positive about the club in the summer where my favourite player moved on...

(That's Whitts by the way lol)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    The fact he's our captain at 26 says a lot about his character. You need these strong heads to be successful. I always go back to it but it's why we should've kept Hudson, even if his playing time was limited, his influence in the dressing room is massive. He's a leader, and I think Morrison is too. A young back up wouldn't improve the squad if we sold him.

How did Hudson get on last season? Oh yeah, promoted to premiership with Huddersfield as club captain. And they're keeping hold of him by the looks of it.

Never thought I'd be so positive about the club in the summer where my favourite player moved on...

(That's Whitts by the way lol)
    Think you are a very valid point about his age , something I've not really factored in, nowhere near his prime and already strong enough of a character to be captain,which keep his market value high ,thinking on Warnock words, four million would not buy one leg

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

yeah I think its great news too mate and it looks like there is finally some unity in the squad