+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severn tolls to be scrapped next year

Severn tolls to be scrapped next year

Good news for us exiles who have to fork out in order to attend games.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pped-next-year

Re: Severn tolls to be scrapped next year

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Good news for us exiles who have to fork out in order to attend games.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pped-next-year
    Good news indeed ��

Placate the savages so the 1bn to the DUP don't seem so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Placate the savages so the 1bn to the DUP don't seem so bad.
    They can't win can they

I would be quite happy to keep paying it if the monies were given to wales and invested in roads and rail.
    I've got use to paying it now.. it was 20p when I first crossed the old bridge and Aust services was the greatest services of all.

Who does the money go to?

There will be more Brizzle people coming here to live and commute back over the bridge to work,as house prices are cheaper here.They're already coming here to live now.

The toll should not be scrapped but reduced by 50%. The money raised should be ring-fenced to be used for M4 improvements, complete the dualling of the Heads of the Valley road to Hirwaun, and complete the dualling of the A40 from where it currently ends at St.Clears to Havefordwest. (Obviously not all at the same time as I guess the sums involved would require several years-worth of tolls!).

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Who does the money go to?
    The rich

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The toll should not be scrapped but reduced by 50%. The money raised should be ring-fenced to be used for M4 improvements, complete the dualling of the Heads of the Valley road to Hirwaun, and complete the dualling of the A40 from where it currently ends at St.Clears to Havefordwest. (Obviously not all at the same time as I guess the sums involved would require several years-worth of tolls!).
    Why should Wales get all the money raised? The Severn bridge is entirely in England and the SSC is split between England and Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I would be quite happy to keep paying it if the monies were given to wales and invested in roads and rail.
    I've got use to paying it now.. it was 20p when I first crossed the old bridge and Aust services was the greatest services of all.
    I remember reading some ditty written on a pub toilet wall about the first Severn bridge.

At last two lands connected
    across a river wide
    and all the tolls collected
    on the English side.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Why should Wales get all the money raised? The Severn bridge is entirely in England and the SSC is split between England and Wales
    Because for years the toll has been viewed as a tax imposed on those who want to drive into Wales rather than the other way around so let's put that "tax" to good use. Both English and Welsh drivers will benefit from all the road improvements I have suggested.

The Severn Bridge starts in Chepstow, which is in Wales. Admittedly, I agree Wales shouldn't get all of the money. The Second Severn Crossing is in Magor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    They can't win can they
    I hope not.

Great news if it is ultimately scrapped.
    If they ever do the Newport m4 bypass though expect that to be a toll road and one of the Bryn glas tunnels to be closed for "safety reasons" to make that a permanent contra-flow and force everyone into the toll road

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The Severn Bridge starts in Chepstow, which is in Wales. Admittedly, I agree Wales shouldn't get all of the money. The Second Severn Crossing is in Magor too.
    the Severn Bridge connects Beachley and Aust, which are both in Gloucestershire. There is a smaller bridge (the Wye Bridge) which connects Chepstow to Beachley. Anyone who has used the Severn bridge will know it is in fact two bridges as described.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Because for years the toll has been viewed as a tax imposed on those who want to drive into Wales rather than the other way around so let's put that "tax" to good use. Both English and Welsh drivers will benefit from all the road improvements I have suggested.
    that is one way of looking at it. it could also be argued it is a tax for those who wish to enter England (because they have to leave at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    They can't win can they
    Basically no this government and the one before gave over loads of power and fiance ,no thanks ,and no i'm not a Tory just not blinkered , I noticed all that Labour can't manager Wales debate on this forum disappeared ,when a Thatcher looking like women appeared on the stage ,Cameron would have romped home in the last election.

the Severn Bridge connects Beachley and Aust, which are both in Gloucestershire. There is a smaller bridge (the Wye Bridge) which connects Chepstow to Beachley. Anyone who has used the Severn bridge will know it is in fact two bridges as described.
    It is technically two bridges but they're connected. The bridges aren't a fat lot of good without each other. While the Severn Bridge is the bit over the Severn, the Severn Crossing is both bridges, and the two viaducts.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Basically no this government and the one before gave over loads of power and fiance ,no thanks ,and no i'm not a Tory just not blinkered , I noticed all that Labour can't manager Wales debate on this forum disappeared ,when a Thatcher looking like women appeared on the stage ,Cameron would have romped home in the last election.
    Is that Google translate?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is that Google translate?
    I,m a regular user of Google ,sometimes ,but maybe they could some tax once in a while ,never mind , people used have some respect ,where are they now ?getting more and more like the seventies ,around here ,well you wont catch me like that ,no sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Was that when the Romans were in charge?

Shudda kept the toll going untill enough cash raised to sort the relief road and a solution for the tunnels at Zooport, I welcome the toll scrap but as one problem closes, further problems arise and with the record of the labour government in South Wales it'll be a further 30 years before the problems of 2018 may get tackled.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It is technically two bridges but they're connected. The bridges aren't a fat lot of good without each other. While the Severn Bridge is the bit over the Severn, the Severn Crossing is both bridges, and the two viaducts.
    I was just pointing out that the Severn Bridge is in act all in England, and that it is the Wye Bridge that connects England and Wales.

given that 3/4 of the crossing is entirely in England, I struggle to see the argument for why the funds should be spent wholly in Wales

How will the bridges be maintained without toll funds? Takes a lot of paint to keep them tip top..... Never ending job