+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff bus station plan faces funding 'challenges'

Cardiff bus station plan faces funding 'challenges'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-40687128

I can't remember the last time I've used the bus but a good bus station is good for the city as a whole.

A case of a greedy developer trying to squeeze every last drop?

Re: Cardiff bus station plan faces funding 'challenges'

Should have been set in stone before they gave the land to the developer but naturally not. Think it should have gone south of the train station or somewhere else to be honest.

It almost seems like every project or enterprise these days goes over budget, runs into problems, turns out to have been based on utter bullshit or becomes a white elephant.
    But along the way , somebody or other makes a shed-load.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Should have been set in stone before they gave the land to the developer but naturally not. Think it should have gone south of the train station or somewhere else to be honest.
    Tried catching a bus in Cardiff a while back, and it was impossible to work out where to go to get the bus. The stops are coded, and there are no easy ways to find either the stops or which stop the bus you want to catch stops at. If it stays like that, then more people will stay in their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Tried catching a bus in Cardiff a while back, and it was impossible to work out where to go to get the bus. The stops are coded, and there are no easy ways to find either the stops or which stop the bus you want to catch stops at. If it stays like that, then more people will stay in their cars.
    Huh? Most bus stops have a map showing the code for each bus stops. Cardiff bus also have a website which shows the routes and times and if you're near a Cardiff bus you can use the free WiFi to access the website.

More people should use public transport to save us from the congestion which is building up, but the argument against would be over-crowding and the bus or train never being on time (whether that's early or late so you have no hope of guessing) rather than being hard to work out.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I can't remember the last time I've used the bus but a good bus station is good for the city as a whole.

I think you will find PMG have been against the value engineering that's gone on with this project. Its a case of the council lying through their back teeth. Pre election the council stated funding was guaranteed

Just fund it with all the cash made from bus lane fines

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I think you will find PMG have been against the value engineering that's gone on with this project. Its a case of the council lying through their back teeth. Pre election the council stated funding was guaranteed
    What value engineering has been proposed/done?

I really haven't looked at the details but on the face of it, it just looks like the developer can make a lot more money from student let's as they can cram a lot more in, regardless what Cardiff actually requires.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Huh? Most bus stops have a map showing the code for each bus stops. Cardiff bus also have a website which shows the routes and times and if you're near a Cardiff bus you can use the free WiFi to access the website.

More people should use public transport to save us from the congestion which is building up, but the argument against would be over-crowding and the bus or train never being on time (whether that's early or late so you have no hope of guessing) rather than being hard to work out.
    I guess that is fine if you know your buses.

And an incompetent Labour controlled Cardiff County Council.?

I voted Jezza only for I trust, that he genuinely believes in levelling out equality, however voting Labour brings a downside, with the proverbial piss-up and brewery springing to mind. T,B,H i've not used a local bus for years. the whole episode around the central bus station has been one big f*** up from start to finish (if it ever does!!)

Poor council planning ,how can you have a major reconstruction of buildings and a strap line of" gateway" from the rail station to the city when it does not have any real transportation system , they bang on about car use ,all we will have will be lucky BBC office staff pooring into nes builds in front of the station and very environmental taxi cabs everywhere for those who can afford , and bugger the rest of folk , this was a great opportunity for a electric tram system running into the centre via the two or three main streets , anonto the bay , and bus stops on the outskirts for outward travel.

You visit any major City in Europe your always struck how good the transport system is.

Apparently you plan and build youf transportation system first, and then you positioning the buildings accordingly .

I here a rumour a lot of new home builds are coming our way as well ,which may add another 80k to the city , and in this new ""poor new world " of two car families , I can't wait to experience the gridlock heaven , and reading visitor reviews like "" lovely city ,just can't get around it "".

We could as Europe for help with regional funding ,ooops , no we can't, that boat has sailed .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I guess that is fine if you know your buses.

Playing "devils advocate" here,

I catch buses quite a lot, BUT I gotta agree with Kris here (as much as it pains me ), the info given out by Cardiff Bus is very, very poor and don't get me going on about when there is EGG on in the City.

One of the main complaints from bus wankers , is there are to many differentiated number buses stopping at the same stops.

I have complained in the past, but it all falls on deaf ears.

PLUS:--- What ever happened to queuing !!?

In years gone by, everyone queued up and took their turn getting on the bus, NOW, it's a frigging "free for all".

People just congeal at the bus stops, then dive to the doors as soon as the bus pulls up.

I've had my bus pass nearly eighteen months and must have used it about five times - I'm a reason why the traffic is as bad as it is in Cardiff with all of my one passenger journeys (don't even have my dog with me these days), but the bus service to and from Fairwater has got worse under the last two Labour councils and I'm afraid I'm baffled by the system used in town now.

They really missed a trick here.
    They could have build the offices on stilts above the bus station (revamped) - plenty of room, and double the ground rent.

They should build the bus station around the other side of the train station. What a total ****up this has been. A major British city without a bus station

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    People just congeal at the bus stops, then dive to the doors as soon as the bus pulls up.
    Well it's been pretty hot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    They should build the bus station around the other side of the train station. What a total ****up this has been. A major British city without a bus station
    It could've easily gone on the empty scrubland bit of Callaghan Square. Easier access (traffic-wise) for the buses there too.

Watch out feller, just wait until BLUETIT spots this grammatical clanger!

Oh!

Playing "devils advocate" here,

I catch buses quite a lot, BUT I gotta agree with Kris here (as much as it pains me ), the info given out by Cardiff Bus is very, very poor and don't get me going on about when there is EGG on in the City.

One of the main complaints from bus wankers , is there are to many differentiated number buses stopping at the same stops.

I have complained in the past, but it all falls on deaf ears.

PLUS:--- What ever happened to queuing !!?

In years gone by, everyone queued up and took their turn getting on the bus, NOW, it's a frigging "free for all".

Little to no point getting a bus on egg or concert day. I would agree that on these days there is a lack of information (if there are screens* in each stop giving the time of the next bus then why can't these be connected to a central hub so further information can be given?) and everything is slower than walking.

What busses are you getting where people don't know how to queue? I experience a bar like atmosphere where you generally know who was there before you and let them go first.

*If those screens give information of estimated arrival times why can't they say if the bus has passed or is late? At least on trains you know it's never early.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Watch out feller, just wait until BLUETIT spots this grammatical clanger!

Oh!
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...nglish/congeal

I'm happy with that, they CONGEAL together in a mass

disgraceful

Who are the political masters of our fair city