+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Operation legacy

Operation legacy

https://twitter.com/daniel_barker/st...43938771423233

Interesting Twitter thread here.

The British empire is often portrayed as being less brutal and less exploitative than the other European empires. Was this just the result of a massive operation to conceal the worst crimes

International

Re: Operation legacy

Which worse crimes are you talking about?

I couldn't give it my full attention once I had spotted that the writer spells 'knew' as 'new'.

Any and all Empires will have a history that is vile and brutal.
    That is how Empires are created.
    The British were no better and no different.
    We will likely be on the receiving end next time an Empire is created.

Perhaps there is little point in dwelling on the past. We cannot change it.
    If it was previously hidden than it is not part of our cultural identity. No point in incorporating it now.
    Self flagellation is pointless and we need all of our energy and focus on the present/future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://twitter.com/daniel_barker/st...43938771423233

Interesting Twitter thread here.

The British empire is often portrayed as being less brutal and less exploitative than the other European empires. Was this just the result of a massive operation to conceal the worst crimes
    Anyone would think that the British have been the only colonialist, i'm sure the british have been a bunch of bad dudes in previous times however, the majority of Brits would have been peace loving people during these times, when the minority of Brits were carrying out their reign of terror, just a continuation of the HATE WHITE CHRISTIAN MALE/FEMALE narrative being played out currently.

If it was previously hidden than it is not part of our cultural identity. No point in incorporating it now.
    Self flagellation is pointless and we need all of our energy and focus on the present/future.[/QUOTE]

Don't the British love the past? Isn't a lot of political rhetoric about bringing back something? There's still a great deal of love for the empire, while we still have antiquated hierarchies. I agree we should focus on the future but having some humility and integrity might help with that.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Don't the British love the past? Isn't a lot of political rhetoric about bringing back something? There's still a great deal of love for the empire, while we still have antiquated hierarchies. I agree we should focus on the future but having some humility and integrity might help with that.
    History tells us that rapid social change is often violent and doesn't always lead to peaceful outcomes. Whilst social change in the UK has been slow and steady over the past 300 years (think 1700 v 1800 v 1900 v 2000), it has been done in a measured way that ensures institutions are changed at a pace that doesn't upset society. Compare the UK to other major European and world powers. How many have achieved their current political situation through non violent means?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    History tells us that rapid social change is often violent and doesn't always lead to peaceful outcomes. Whilst social change in the UK has been slow and steady over the past 300 years (think 1700 v 1800 v 1900 v 2000), it has been done in a measured way that ensures institutions are changed at a pace that doesn't upset society. Compare the UK to other major European and world powers. How many have achieved their current political situation through non violent means?
    I wasn't thinking in terms of how we came to our power and prosperity, but having a healthy understanding of our past and how we see ourselves from that perspective. Maybe it's better to keep the masses sweet by providing smokescreens for political crimes but that'll affect us in other ways eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Self flagellation is pointless and we need all of our energy and focus on the present/future.
    Don't the British love the past? Isn't a lot of political rhetoric about bringing back something? There's still a great deal of love for the empire, while we still have antiquated hierarchies. I agree we should focus on the future but having some humility and integrity might help with that.[/QUOTE]

Very, very true.