+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brighton after Zohore

Re: Brighton after Zohore

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There is some amazing stuff in this and most other threads I've read concerning Zohore this summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this 23 year-old has so far had less than half a decent season at Championship level. I saw him in February against Fulham and he was excellent against what was a very generous defence, but I'd also watched him a month earlier against Burton and he was absolutely dreadful. He had an eleven-game, two-month purple patch, during which he netted an impressive total of ten goals, but he then scored just one in the last six matches of the 2016/17 campaign.

Does anybody seriously believe clubs would pay out sums like £10 million, £15 million or even £20 million for a player with such a record? It appears so, but to me that looks like wishful thinking to put it mildly.
    How much of his purple patch have you actually watched?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    How much of his purple patch have you actually watched?
    He's better than Britt Assombalonga and he's just gone for £14m.

There is some amazing stuff in this and most other threads I've read concerning Zohore this summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this 23 year-old has so far had less than half a decent season at Championship level. I saw him in February against Fulham and he was excellent against what was a very generous defence, but I'd also watched him a month earlier against Burton and he was absolutely dreadful. He had an eleven-game, two-month purple patch, during which he netted an impressive total of ten goals, but he then scored just one in the last six matches of the 2016/17 campaign.

Does anybody seriously believe clubs would pay out sums like £10 million, £15 million or even £20 million for a player with such a record? It appears so, but to me that looks like wishful thinking to put it mildly.

Interesting that you have focussed on the last 6 games which ignore Zohore's 3 goal contribution in the previous 4 games. If you look at the last 10 league games plus the Euro U21 championships, Zohore bagged 5 goals & 3 assists for us & 2 goals & 1 assist in his only start for Denmark. In my mind this paints a more accurate picture of Zohore's overall contribution at the back end of the season.

We also need to bear in mind that last season he was being asked to play a very difficult role for us, often alone up front without a great deal of support. Warnock has clearly identified this as an issue & his transfer dealings in the Summer have included a strategy to fix this, particularly with the signings of Tomlin & Ward.

There are players who went for big money last season with limited championship experience & success e.g. Scott Hogan was sold for a reported £15m after 21 championship goals in 1.5 seasons & the market has moved upwards since then.

At the end of the day Zohore is worth what another club is willing to pay & for once we seem to be holding a lot of the cards as Warnock does not have to sell & Zohore is under contract & seemingly happy here. On that basis if someone wants to buy him then they are going to have to pay a lot of money for him, which appears to be well in excess of £10m. Personally I hope that he stays as I think that he could have an even better season for us & if so his value will only increase further.

International

The problem is if he starts hot and a prem side come in for him at an inflated price we will than need a replacement and we will then be in the same position as other clubs ,trying to find aplayer in the last days of the window.
    Swhoever we want, his price will go up, and then knowing how much we got forZahore and that we are now the deperate club the price will go up again.
    The whole point of Colin (Yeah I know 'our neil') getting in early was exactly to avoid that.
    And if he deos go somewhere and falls flat who is to say he ouldn't have been great here with Colin mentoring him?

International

The problem is if he starts hot and a prem side come in for him at an inflated price we will than need a replacement and we will then be in the same position as other clubs ,trying to find a player in the last days of the window.
    So whoever we want, his price will go up, and then knowing how much we got forZahore and that we are now the deperate club the price will go up again.
    The whole point of Colin (Yeah I know 'our neil') getting in early was exactly to avoid that.
    And if he deos go somewhere and falls flat who is to say he ouldn't have been great here with Colin mentoring him?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Didnt Glen Murray work with NW at Palace?
    Wouldnt be surprised to see and exchange plus money?
    Murray is 34 and past it prem wise but is useful at our level?
    Your hypocrisy knows no boundaries. You've slagged off NW when he's signed players for being old, even though they are not as old as Glenn Murray?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    He's so blinded by his hatred of Vincent Tans Cardiff City he hasn't noticed the transfer market has gone potty.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Interesting that you have focussed on the last 6 games which ignore Zohore's 3 goal contribution in the previous 4 games. If you look at the last 10 league games plus the Euro U21 championships, Zohore bagged 5 goals & 3 assists for us & 2 goals & 1 assist in his only start for Denmark. In my mind this paints a more accurate picture of Zohore's overall contribution at the back end of the season.

We also need to bear in mind that last season he was being asked to play a very difficult role for us, often alone up front without a great deal of support. Warnock has clearly identified this as an issue & his transfer dealings in the Summer have included a strategy to fix this, particularly with the signings of Tomlin & Ward.

There are players who went for big money last season with limited championship experience & success e.g. Scott Hogan was sold for a reported £15m after 21 championship goals in 1.5 seasons & the market has moved upwards since then.

At the end of the day Zohore is worth what another club is willing to pay & for once we seem to be holding a lot of the cards as Warnock does not have to sell & Zohore is under contract & seemingly happy here. On that basis if someone wants to buy him then they are going to have to pay a lot of money for him, which appears to be well in excess of £10m. Personally I hope that he stays as I think that he could have an even better season for us & if so his value will only increase further.
    I could not have put it better myself.

Evening Dave

I think a lot of the bits of my response have already been written but I'll add that I was looking at what he was worth to us as a club in terms of the reason that fans come to games - to be excited. Selling Zohore at this moment in time would be a PR disaster if we did not get a fee for him that the fans could understand why we sold him.

For the first time in a few seasons we have a player who seems to have the 'X' factor as Malky described it. Add in the potential that Tomlin also has to do the unexpected and you have a team that are worth going to watch from an entertainment viewpoint.

Zohore could well be bloody useless this season, though I would be surprised if he was, but it is just the possibility that we could be about to watch something very special this season that has got everyone looking forward to kick-off.

What is that worth to us as a club? I think it's priceless but, if pushed, then I'd say in the current market that a player with his recent record, including 2 goals and 2 assists in one U-21 International match, is worth about that for say a club who perhaps won't attract the more established names and has to take a gamble.

Do I think that is sensible money? No - but if you are desperate and need to gamble then I'd think you could convince yourself it was based on what he has done in the last 6 months.

I can't help but think that many are in for big disappointment and a reality check in the coming months.
    Of course in a perfect storm situation we could win the division but all things being equal then a similar finish to last season is on the cards.
    We're supporters, I get that, but blind optimism is futile and not for me and right NOW KZ is not a £10m player, Colin is not Pep Guardiola and we're unlikely to make the play offs.

I very much doubt he did. The Nottingham papers reported: "It is not clear exactly how much of the fee Forest will receive up front and how much will be formed as part of potential future add-ons, but it is believed that the initial payment will be an eight-figure sum of at least £10m."

Peterborough also apparently had a significant sell-on clause in his contract, so that will have bumped up his price a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Interesting that you have focussed on the last 6 games which ignore Zohore's 3 goal contribution in the previous 4 games.
    I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He's so blinded by his hatred of Vincent Tans Cardiff City he hasn't noticed the transfer market has gone potty.
    The transfer market has been 'potty' for quite some time. Nevertheless, I don't believe any club would pay the sort of figures being bandied about in this thread for a player with Zohore's background. If he has a good season in 2017/18, or even a decent five months leading up to the January window, then maybe someone will move in with a bid of £10 million or more, but as things stand, and although I may well be wrong, I just can't see it. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Do I think that is sensible money? No - but if you are desperate and need to gamble then I'd think you could convince yourself it was based on what he has done in the last 6 months.
    It would be interesting to know what, if anything, Hull actually did bid for Zohore. That may help to give us a better idea of what sort of figures are realistic for him at this stage. It's almost impossible to judge because very rarely has anyone gone from looking like a glorified parks player to one who has Premier League potential in such a short space of time, but that will undoubtedly be something that any potential bidder will have in mind.

The transfer market has been 'potty' for quite some time. Nevertheless, I don't believe any club would pay the sort of figures being bandied about in this thread for a player with Zohore's background. If he has a good season in 2017/18, or even a decent five months leading up to the January window, then maybe someone will move in with a bid of £10 million or more, but as things stand, and although I may well be wrong, I just can't see it. Can you?
    The guy went from zero to hero in under 6 secs , he has great potential and a bit of pedigree , great things had been expected of him previously but he had began to look like another footballer who was going to let it all slip away . Apparently he was in the last chance saloon with NW , fortunately he took the chance . He is one of those players who can do something special , make the entrance money worth while .

We will get 10 million for him and he has the potential to go on and be an even more expensive player if he continues to play at the top of his game .

And no I didn't always feel he was going to make it .

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, Hull actually did bid for Zohore. That may help to give us a better idea of what sort of figures are realistic for him at this stage. It's almost impossible to judge because very rarely has anyone gone from looking like a glorified parks player to one who has Premier League potential in such a short space of time, but that will undoubtedly be something that any potential bidder will have in mind.
    I think a figure of around £6M was mentioned somewhere that we turned down. I agree that it's almost impossible to know how to value someone who has gone through the sort of change we've seen in Zohore, but the fact that we don't have to sell will mean that we can hold out for a price we think he's worth. The fact that NW has mentioned around £15M would seem to set out what the Club think he might be worth.

Anyhow, it's all conjecture. I hope we do not have to find out this season what his value is and that he continues to improve as quickly as he has already.

There's a few things that have been mentioned already which I think are important here. First, Zohore is someone who was the youngest ever debutant in senior top flight Danish football and was playing Champions League football at 16 in the Camp Nou and, at 17, at Stamford Bridge - he also had trials with Chelsea and Inter Milan around that time.

So, I think it's fair to say that he was rated very, very highly when he started playing in senior football. Of course, there are plenty of players who were thought to have the world at their feet as teenagers who find fulfilling a measure of the hype they attract a problem they cannot solve (this applies in some ways to our new signing Loic Damour up to now) and was definitely the case with Zohore for a five year period.

However, even during his "glorified parks player" phase, there was the very occasional performance for City (notably at 15/16 Champions Burnley for one) which suggested we had a player who just might be capable of making a real impact at Championship level. Yes, he's not done it that often yet, but there were occasions once he had started scoring regularly when he was virtually unplayable last season.

The game I remember most was Ipswich when the visitors started with three tough and experienced centrebacks at this level facing a City team where Zohore was playing the lone front man role. Although his team were level at 1-1 at the interval, Mick McCarthy had seen enough to take one of them off after forty five minutes, but it made no difference, because by the end Zohore had run the remaining centrebacks ragged and Ipswich left grateful to have only lost 3-1 - it's hard to be really objective when it's one of your teams players involved, but I cannot remember seeing a more effective target man performance last season in our division than that one.

Based on performances like that and the ones against Fulham, Wolves and at Huddersfield, City are right to say that it it would need a bid of £15 million before they contemplated selling. If we were able to get £20 million in late August for Zohore from a desperate Premier League club, you'd like to think that much of it would be made available for new players, but it needs to be borne in mind that these days in the Championship paying even eight figures for a striker is no guarantee that we'd get someone who could offer what Zohore at his best can - in fact, I'd be inclined to leave the domestic market alone unless we were looking at a very good quality loan from a Premier League club when it came to replacing Zohore.

I didn't.
    You did

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There's a few things that have been mentioned already which I think are important here. First, Zohore is someone who was the youngest ever debutant in senior top flight Danish football and was playing Champions League football at 16 in the Camp Nou and, at 17, at Stamford Bridge - he also had trials with Chelsea and Inter Milan around that time.

So, I think it's fair to say that he was rated very, very highly when he started playing in senior football. Of course, there are plenty of players who were thought to have the world at their feet as teenagers who find fulfilling a measure of the hype they attract a problem they cannot solve (this applies in some ways to our new signing Loic Damour up to now) and was definitely the case with Zohore for a five year period.

However, even during his "glorified parks player" phase, there was the very occasional performance for City (notably at 15/16 Champions Burnley for one) which suggested we had a player who just might be capable of making a real impact at Championship level. Yes, he's not done it that often yet, but there were occasions once he had started scoring regularly when he was virtually unplayable last season.

The game I remember most was Ipswich when the visitors started with three tough and experienced centrebacks at this level facing a City team where Zohore was playing the lone front man role. Although his team were level at 1-1 at the interval, Mick McCarthy had seen enough to take one of them off after forty five minutes, but it made no difference, because by the end Zohore had run the remaining centrebacks ragged and Ipswich left grateful to have only lost 3-1 - it's hard to be really objective when it's one of your teams players involved, but I cannot remember seeing a more effective target man performance last season in our division than that one.

Based on performances like that and the ones against Fulham, Wolves and at Huddersfield, City are right to say that it it would need a bid of £15 million before they contemplated selling. If we were able to get £20 million in late August for Zohore from a desperate Premier League club, you'd like to think that much of it would be made available for new players, but it needs to be borne in mind that these days in the Championship paying even eight figures for a striker is no guarantee that we'd get someone who could offer what Zohore at his best can - in fact, I'd be inclined to leave the domestic market alone unless we were looking at a very good quality loan from a Premier League club when it came to replacing Zohore.

Some very good points there. Zohore has indeed always shown great promise but until this season has only provided glimpses of what he can do. Massive credit must go to Warnock & his coaches for helping Zohore to perform on a consistent basis.

The Ipswich game also sticks in my mind, in addition to his great goal v Preston.

If we receive a an offer we cannot refuse I just hope that we don't find ourselves in a similar position to the one we witnessed with our goal-keepers last season when we sold Moore & Marshall within a matter of weeks & were unable to adequately replace them until January.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I can't help but think that many are in for big disappointment and a reality check in the coming months.
    Of course in a perfect storm situation we could win the division but all things being equal then a similar finish to last season is on the cards.
    We're supporters, I get that, but blind optimism is futile and not for me and right NOW KZ is not a £10m player, Colin is not Pep Guardiola and we're unlikely to make the play offs.

Reality check, about what exactly?

No one has talked about winning The Championship on this message board, hopes of making the play-offs ... perhaps and is that really outside the realms of possibility, I think not?

Yes, Neil (why do our own supporters insist on calling him "Colin"?) isn't Pep Guardiola and I'm happy he's not - how would Guardiola cope with a limited budget like ours?

As for your statement that Zahore is not worth £10m right now? ... I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Reality check, about what exactly?

No one has talked about winning The Championship on this message board, hopes of making the play-offs ... perhaps and is that really outside the realms of possibility, I think not?

Yes, Neil (why do our own supporters insist on calling him "Colin"?) isn't Pep Guardiola and I'm happy he's not - how would Guardiola cope with a limited budget like ours?

As for your statement that Zahore is not worth £10m right now? ... I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Well said. Like you I really don't understand why some on here choose to refer to our manager in such a derogatory way.

On what do you base that statemenr?

International

"Colin Colin, do the Ayatolah!"

And he did it!!!!!!
    He'll always be Colin.

We showed play off form from when NW took over, and we've added a few players that improve us whilst keeping hold of our best players. Why can't people see us challenging for play offs?

But Zohore staying is key to that in my opinion, although I suspect NW would have a back up plan ready if we did receive a silly bid we couldn't turn down.

Zohore has shown some good potential and significantly improved his performances under a decent manager , this year will be a huge test for the lad and it looks like we have added decent players around him to support that progress , so let's prey he stays and improves, however any fee over 10 million will be difficult to turn down on such an unknown factor of a player that may or may not improve,