+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Brighton did come in with a 20 million bid?

What if Brighton did come in with a 20 million bid?

As far as I'm aware they haven't spent 'big' so must have plenty to spare and know that it's goals you need to stand any chance of survival in a first season.

So, preparing for the possibility that his goals, hold-up play and potential will tempt Brighton to go for it, what will fans reaction be if City accept?

Management have said all the right things about keeping him etc but also indicated that every player has a price. And what seems to be missing is a commitment to say that that if the threshold is met they will re-invest every penny to build further on the good work Warnock has done so far.

Any views?

Re: What if Brighton did come in with a 20 million bid?

I'd understand the club's decision to sell if they received a bid of that size.

Banned

I'd sell him for 5

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd understand the club's decision to sell if they received a bid of that size.
    Yes but that doesn't answer my query about whether Tan would pocket the cash or hand it to NW to replace Zohore and strengthen in other areas in line with the stated wish to give it a real go this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Yes but that doesn't answer my query about whether Tan would pocket the cash or hand it to NW to replace Zohore and strengthen in other areas in line with the stated wish to give it a real go this season.

Why would the Board talk openly about spending potential sale proceeds for Zohore at a time when they are clearly saying that he is not for sale? They will not only be contradicting themselves but also giving other clubs a clear indication of how much we would have to spend should we receive a silly offer for Zohore. No doubt we would then see prices rise very quickly in respect of any players we target.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Yes, I think Warnock would be given a substantial portion of any fee received for Zohore. At the moment, we seem to be in a position where we are doing okay regarding FFP as long as one or two are taken off our wage bill by the end of August. In such circumstances, I could understand the club keeping a portion of the fee to cover themselves, but that would still leave a very healthy addition to the playing budget.

The imponderable I'd say is season ticket sales. I am somewhat concerned that we are hearing nothing from the club about them, because, usually, they're pretty quick to publicise any good news on that front to try and create some kind of momentum - I'm pretty optimistic that we've bought well this summer, but I can't help thinking that the lack of a signing which would really capture supporter imagination (e.g. Joe Ledley) will lead to modest season ticket sale numbers.

It's a gamble. If we keep him and go up, isn't the value of promotion something like £90m? If we keep him and don't go up, we might be kicking ourselves we didn't sell him.

On the other hand, £20m for a player who didn't cost us much represents good business, but assuming we could reinvest the money, how much would we have to spend on a decent replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It's a gamble. If we keep him and go up, isn't the value of promotion something like £90m? If we keep him and don't go up, we might be kicking ourselves we didn't sell him.

On the other hand, £20m for a player who didn't cost us much represents good business, but assuming we could reinvest the money, how much would we have to spend on a decent replacement?

I read somewhere that premier league promotion is worth in the region of £170m, even if you get relegated in the first season, when you take into account tv money & parachute payments

It will become harder to buy if we have just accepted a large bid and are X weeks further into the window. It will also disrupt out next season and could potentially kill the buzz which is building.

A risky move even for such a high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Why would the Board talk openly about spending potential sale proceeds for Zohore at a time when they are clearly saying that he is not for sale? They will not only be contradicting themselves but also giving other clubs a clear indication of how much we would have to spend should we receive a silly offer for Zohore. No doubt we would then see prices rise very quickly in respect of any players we target.
    Good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I'd sell him for 5
    Kebabs?

Sell and you can get a very good striker for 10m.

I know this year the transfers have gone mental but burnley took a 10m punt on andre gray and look how that turned out.

Newcastle got Dwight Gayle for 10 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

I know this year the transfers have gone mental but burnley took a 10m punt on andre gray and look how that turned out.

Can you tell us who this very good cheap striker might be? I can't immediately think of one. Transfer fees have increased dramatically since the Gray and Gayle deals. The very ordinary Hogan, for example went for 15 mill and has done very little since. Zohore is an exceptional talent. It might make short term financial sense to accept a bid for him but if he goes our promotion chance probably goes with him. I think our manager might go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

The market has inflated again since then. If Cardiff sell for £20m then any replacement would go up in value. Especially considering Zohore is a one season hit at present.

I think Zohore will go, it won't be £20m down but will be lined with incentives. Will Tan want to spend £10m on one single player? Add in wages (I guess Zohore isn't a huge earner at present, his new contract offers a get out clause and that's his bonus) and agents fees and that £20m soon goes.

If the club has an inkling of a sale, they would do well to buy a replacement first, then sell.

My guess, Zohore will start August in Cardiff and end it elsewhere. I reckon transfer deadline day with him going to a club that has started well in the Championship, or a club that has struggled in the Premier. Cardiff's position in the table will have little to do with the decision making. £15m plus incentives, the club would have to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Can you tell us who this very good cheap striker might be? I can't immediately think of one. Transfer fees have increased dramatically since the Gray and Gayle deals. The very ordinary Hogan, for example went for 15 mill and has done very little since. Zohore is an exceptional talent. It might make short term financial sense to accept a bid for him but if he goes our promotion chance probably goes with him. I think our manager might go as well.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I think Warnock would be given a substantial portion of any fee received for Zohore. At the moment, we seem to be in a position where we are doing okay regarding FFP as long as one or two are taken off our wage bill by the end of August. In such circumstances, I could understand the club keeping a portion of the fee to cover themselves, but that would still leave a very healthy addition to the playing budget.

The imponderable I'd say is season ticket sales. I am somewhat concerned that we are hearing nothing from the club about them, because, usually, they're pretty quick to publicise any good news on that front to try and create some kind of momentum - I'm pretty optimistic that we've bought well this summer, but I can't help thinking that the lack of a signing which would really capture supporter imagination (e.g. Joe Ledley) will lead to modest season ticket sale numbers.
    Paul

The main potential financial problem for the club is likely to be next season , when the parachute money will have stopped, creating a £10m to £15m hole in the budget. I am sure they are working towards that already with wage bill cost reductions etc. but a sale of a valued and valuable player is more likely to happen then to fill the financial gap (unless of course we get promoted).
    If we hold on to Zohore and he has as good a full season as he had a half season for us in 2016/17, then his value will go up as will the possible pressure to sell him to cover the income shortfall.

As for season tickets , from a marketing point of view, I don`t understand why the club don`t publish the level of sales to date. If they are lower than hoped, they could send out a message along the lines of "we have done our bit in investing in a better squad than last season, so come along and support us in numbers". If sales are going well (which I suspect they are not), then use that as a public support rallying cry along the lines of "join with all the others returning to support the team".

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Not off the top of my head but Zohore is a prime example of how you can strike gold with cheap foreign players.

bristol city are attempting to replace Abraham's goals with this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famara_Di%C3%A9dhiou

For 5 odd million.

They know they can't afford the top, second tier guys in the UK.

Take a punt on someone like him. If he gets 10-15 goals then they'll probably make a profit.

There are plenty of players around in the belgian, dutch and french leagues I imagine. Cardiff have been dogged by buying uninspiring strikers the past few years like Doyle.

We won't be able to attract the dwight Gayle's but 20m goes a long way in young strikers around europe.

"What if Brighton did come in with a 20 million bid? "

Answer : sell , he's not fully developed yet , had a decent season , unfinished article , he may not progress under another manager , we know he can look ordinary,he may go backwards with pressure on him .

20 million eeeek , sell , that might get us up ,this might be Brighton's Andreas Cornelius moment ,if they are daft enough to fork that out .

Easy to say as its not my money, but I feel it is important to resist any offers at this time. Its clear that NW has built a squad he believes can challenge and Ken is an integral part of that squad. Regardless of how much money is offered, I would guess a large part of that would be used to further balance the books whilst replacing Ken with a proven striker wouldn't be cheap,either in fees or wages.
    NW has played a blinder here as by mentioning 15/20 million he has set a high bar on a player from the start. If he continues to develop well over the next year the figures that we are arguing over regarding his value would be the starting point for any interested parties.
    Further more this club needs to keep hold of NW and Ken at this time as they have awakened an optimism around the club that is priceless to us supporters. I would hope that if we do keep Ken through this transfer window, the owner, board and management would get the credit they deserve in uniting our club again.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    "What if Brighton did come in with a 20 million bid? "

Answer : sell , he's not fully developed yet , had a decent season , unfinished article , he may not progress under another manager , we know he can look ordinary,he may go backwards with pressure on him .

20 million eeeek , sell , that might get us up ,this might be Brighton's Andreas Cornelius moment ,if they are daft enough to fork that out .
    I wouldn't sell. Ken much more likely to get us up than spending whatever proportion of his fee Warnock is given ( it wouldn't be all of it). Selling Ken might be our next Toshack moment

It's irrelevant what any of us think regarding this matter. We don't actually own the club (which is heavily in debt).

Simple answer - ask Colin.

If he thinks that 20 million is too good to turn down and he can get a replacement with some of the money then let him go.

If Colin would rather have his number one striker than 20 mill to spend then keep him.

My opinion - keep him. The team is ready to go and Ken should be a key component.

If we needed money to strengthen other areas then I could understand sacrificing him in order to do that but it looks like NW is happy with what he's got.

As others have said, how much will it cost to bring in a decent replacement if we did get 20 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's irrelevant what any of us think regarding this matter. We don't actually own the club (which is heavily in debt).
    Not a problem.

Tan's going to convert the debt to equity.

Any day now....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You mean we are wasting our time spouting our shit views on everything?

Well I will go to the bottom of my garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Not a problem.

Tan's going to convert the debt to equity.

Any day now....
    I dont care, I don't own the club.