+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spurs looking at the acadamy

Spurs looking at the acadamy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40722879

Pochettino looking more at bringing the youth through than spending big in the transfer market.
    Levy say's it's unsustainable the money now being spent.

Re: Spurs looking at the acadamy

I suspect the bigger branded clubs with bigger incoming marketing revenues will both spend and develop.

I think this might be a sound bite to quiten Spurs fans as they bought in big after such a successful season , also suggests, their current model will remain the same , buying young prospects and developing good talent and selling that on big to prop up club to sustain a top 6 position without buying in big named expensive players .

Big club wanting to use the predatory system of poaching from non Prem clubs academies to stockpile talent who then fall by the wayside shocker.

Or put another way, we've not got a pot to piss in whilst we build the stadium.

They've got a solid squad but the Wembley effect and a Kane injury could see them mid table. I expected Everton, Liverpool and Man utd to have better seasons. Whilst the money is pure madness it has started to make the league more competitive for the big clubs. So 7/8 clubs fighting for 4 positions (i hope they lose that 4th spot soon ) and the rest fighting for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

They've got a solid squad but the Wembley effect and a Kane injury could see them mid table. I expected Everton, Liverpool and Man utd to have better seasons. Whilst the money is pure madness it has started to make the league more competitive for the big clubs. So 7/8 clubs fighting for 4 positions (i hope they lose that 4th spot soon ) and the rest fighting for survival.
    Mid table is a big stretch. They will have a difficult season playing in Wembley but can't see them in any danger of being outside the top 6. Played the best football in the whole league the last 2 years and had it not been for a freak season and Chelsea being probably the most consistent team the league has seen since Arsenal's invincibles, they could have won 2 titles. Not likely that they'll fall from that to mid table

That levy is taking the piss he's one of the reasons why the transfer amounts have been spiralling out of of control the last couple of years he was more than happy to sell bale for 90 big ones

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    That levy is taking the piss he's one of the reasons why the transfer amounts have been spiralling out of of control the last couple of years he was more than happy to sell bale for 90 big ones
    this

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Did you expect him to say "no, that's too much, we'll take 30"??

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Did you expect him to say "no, that's too much, we'll take 30"??
    No but what I'm saying is he was one of the first to start pushing for ridiculous amounts for his players but when the shoe is on the other foot he don't like it

Argh Spain and Germany model ""So 7/8 clubs fighting for 4 positions "" lets revamp the European league idea , for just the big financial boys , hang on we go it .

Spurs are actually somewhat ironic if they are whining about costs.

They were one of the top six clubs who wanted the Prem league created and were in talks for a TV deal. ITV were in prime position until Sky blew them out of the water. Clearly that had nothing to do with any intervention from the the then Spurs chairman whose company built set top boxes for... Sky...

Bit ironic, when they were one of the first clubs to pay £100K for a player. 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Treasury.html

I got a feeling, that they only actually paid £99,999, as they said they were not going to pay £100K and I think I can remember, don't know if it's true (as I was only a nipper then), that the day after they signed him, Bill Nickelson (the then manager), had a heart attack, as they found out Our Jimmy, had a bottle of Vodka for breakfast, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Argh Spain and Germany model ""So 7/8 clubs fighting for 4 positions "" lets revamp the European league idea , for just the big financial boys , hang on we go it .
    Eh, not sure what you understood from my post or why you quoted me. Can you be clearer please?

They're basically in the same position as Arsenal 5-10 years ago when they were building their stadium and will try and limp along and maintain their top 4 position with minimum outlay which is probably the right way to go because they will be up against it with 38 away games next season

He's absolutely right though. The best thing that could happen for UK football is for Pocchetino's side to succeed and Chelsea/Man United/Man City to not.

I don't see anything wrong with that I'd like our side to contain several very talented home grown players.

Man City paying £100m for two full backs shows how crazy this summer's transfer spending is.

I'd also like the Premier league lose a champions league spot. That would make the race for those spots even more interesting.

Some great debate gone on here....I think the money side of the game is quite grotesque I would be up for a foreign player cap again and force clubs develop what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that I'd like our side to contain several very talented home grown players.

Man City paying £100m for two full backs shows how crazy this summer's transfer spending is.

I'd also like the Premier league lose a champions league spot. That would make the race for those spots even more interesting.
    English clubs would have to really capitulate in Europe to lose the 4th spot, from 2018-19 season the top 4 clubs will be guaranteed 4 group places. At the minute the top 3 get 3 group places and 1 play-off. So Germany, Spain, England and Italy will get 4 spots at the moment. For England to lose the 4th sport, they would need their coefficient to considerably. For 17/18 England had 76.284 and the 5th ranked country Portugal had 53.082. They are closer to catching Germany in 2nd(80.177) than dropping to 4th(Italy 70.439) so to drop to 5th will require an embarrassment worse than losing to USA in 1950 or Iceland in 2016.

https://en.as.com/en/2016/12/09/foot...03_008421.html

Quote Originally Posted by S'all Good Man View Post
    English clubs would have to really capitulate in Europe to lose the 4th spot, from 2018-19 season the top 4 clubs will be guaranteed 4 group places. At the minute the top 3 get 3 group places and 1 play-off. So Germany, Spain, England and Italy will get 4 spots at the moment. For England to lose the 4th sport, they would need their coefficient to considerably. For 17/18 England had 76.284 and the 5th ranked country Portugal had 53.082. They are closer to catching Germany in 2nd(80.177) than dropping to 4th(Italy 70.439) so to drop to 5th will require an embarrassment worse than losing to USA in 1950 or Iceland in 2016.

https://en.as.com/en/2016/12/09/foot...03_008421.html
    Right they just changed the rules i see, read an article recently that said english teams were about to lose their 4th spot to Italy if they didn't pull their socks up.