+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alfie v Homophobia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Alfie v Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest & I don't see why anyone should care if a player is gay or straight. Bearing in mind the apparent reluctance of gay professional footballers to be open about their sexuality, I would have great admiration for any of our players if they decided to publicise the fact that they are gay.

The preview clips I have seen for the programme seem to suggest that football has a big problem with homophobia which surprises me as I don't see that. There are some issues of course but no different to society as a whole in my opinion. That said, there would appear to be a big issue with players being open though but is this limited to football or is is this the same with other sports e.g. I can't recall very many gay rugby union/league players or cricketers?
    I can't off the top of my head name any openly gay professional rugby players although my knowledge of rugby players isn't extensive

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    I can't off the top of my head name any openly gay professional rugby players although my knowledge of rugby players isn't extensive
    There's open as in running to the media and there's open as in it's known within the sport and nobody cares.

I was told over twenty years ago Thomas was gay - by a relative of someone high up in Bridgend RFC at the time. Nobody cared, he wasn't bullied, odd bit of banter...

It's almost as if he wants to make it out to be a massive struggle to make money...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    There's open as in running to the media and there's open as in it's known within the sport and nobody cares.

I was told over twenty years ago Thomas was gay - by a relative of someone high up in Bridgend RFC at the time. Nobody cared, he wasn't bullied, odd bit of banter...

It's almost as if he wants to make it out to be a massive struggle to make money...
    Since he went public it seems there's nothing he won't do to promote his sexuality. Around 10 yrs ago used to chat to him while watching one of my lads play football. Nice guy, down to earth, now seems to be the stereotypical self-publicist queen...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Since he went public it seems there's nothing he won't do to promote his sexuality. Around 10 yrs ago used to chat to him while watching one of my lads play football. Nice guy, down to earth, now seems to be the stereotypical self-publicist queen...
    Interesting how your opinion of him changed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Interesting how your opinion of him changed so much.
    Because there are gay people who just get on with their lives, and those liked 'Alfie' who takes every opportunity available to him to display and promote his type of sexuality. The whole point of this thread is 'so-and-so is gay, so what', yet this man spends his life shouting it from the rooftops...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Because there are gay people who just get on with their lives, and those liked 'Alfie' who takes every opportunity available to him to display and promote his type of sexuality. The whole point of this thread is 'so-and-so is gay, so what', yet this man spends his life shouting it from the rooftops...
    His shouting from the rooftops is very beneficial to support youngsters who are faced with the difficult process of coming out. High profile people like him make a massive difference. People still commit suicide because of it.

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay.

His shouting from the rooftops is very beneficial to support youngsters who are faced with the difficult process of coming out. High profile people like him make a massive difference. People still commit suicide because of it.

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay.

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay
    People being overtly anything will create a reaction, negatively for some
    Oh look at me I'm so very white
    Oh look at me I'm so very black
    Oh look at me I'm so very straight
    Oh look at me I'm so very gay

etc.

Society might be better off simply learning to not care - either or any way - rather than caring 'too much' ?

I'm not sure it's fair to blame people for feeling uncomfortable having to listen to someone banging on about their sexual kinks though.

If the guy next to me in the pub started going on about how proud he was to be a foot fetishist I'd tell him to keep it to himself.

People's sex lives used to be a private thing.