+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alfie v Homophobia

Alfie v Homophobia

BBC 1 tonight 9pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08z2jpc

Would anyone on here mind if one of our players was gay and would anyone on here give some stick to a player from an imposing team who was gay?

I certainly would have no problems with either

Re: Alfie v Homophobia

The day a top player comes out can't come soon enough.
    As soon as one does then others will follow which can only be a good thing.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll set me video.

Nobody should have an issue with anyone else's sexuality.

3 pager this I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    BBC 1 tonight 9pm

Would anyone on here mind if one of our players was gay and would anyone on here give some stick to a player from an imposing team who was gay?

You wouldn't have a problem with someone giving stick !

Eye nose wat ewe meens Andreabutt eye cood knot recyst eit

BBC 1 tonight 9pm

No problems giving some stick? What would you shout?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    No problems giving some stick?
    Man, beaten to it by Tony.. hand your head in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    No problems giving some stick? What would you shout?
    What imposing teams are we expecting down the CCS this year?

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    :getmecoat:

We started the Shrewsbury game with three white players and it now seems unremarkable yet when we signed Clive Charles in the mid-70s he probably suffered as much abuse from his home fans as the opposition. Agree with Alfie that people's sexuality still seems a bit of a taboo in football. It might be an issue that needs to be sorted in the dressing room first rather than the terraces though?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest & I don't see why anyone should care if a player is gay or straight. Bearing in mind the apparent reluctance of gay professional footballers to be open about their sexuality, I would have great admiration for any of our players if they decided to publicise the fact that they are gay.

The preview clips I have seen for the programme seem to suggest that football has a big problem with homophobia which surprises me as I don't see that. There are some issues of course but no different to society as a whole in my opinion. That said, there would appear to be a big issue with players being open though but is this limited to football or is is this the same with other sports e.g. I can't recall very many gay rugby union/league players or cricketers?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest & I don't see why anyone should care if a player is gay or straight. Bearing in mind the apparent reluctance of gay professional footballers to be open about their sexuality, I would have great admiration for any of our players if they decided to publicise the fact that they are gay.

The preview clips I have seen for the programme seem to suggest that football has a big problem with homophobia which surprises me as I don't see that. There are some issues of course but no different to society as a whole in my opinion. That said, there would appear to be a big issue with players being open though but is this limited to football or is is this the same with other sports e.g. I can't recall very many gay rugby union/league players or cricketers?
    That's cos in the main the gays are not very sporty people

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You wouldn't have a problem with someone giving stick !

Eye nose wat ewe meens Andreabutt eye cood knot recyst eit
    I've been reading the other board too much

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post

I can't off the top of my head name any openly gay professional rugby players although my knowledge of rugby players isn't extensive

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That's cos in the main the gays are not very sporty people
    Yes, but you have to ask yourself why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Hand your head in shame? It's bloody catching

Hand your head in shame? It's bloody catching

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    I can't off the top of my head name any openly gay professional rugby players although my knowledge of rugby players isn't extensive
    There's open as in running to the media and there's open as in it's known within the sport and nobody cares.

I was told over twenty years ago Thomas was gay - by a relative of someone high up in Bridgend RFC at the time. Nobody cared, he wasn't bullied, odd bit of banter...

It's almost as if he wants to make it out to be a massive struggle to make money...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    There is an openly gay rugby league player but his name escapes me

BBC 1 tonight 9pm

Sadly, there would be problems with the sheep culture on terraces. We know how an innocent man, Dave Jones, got on at certain away grounds.

It's extremely likely that there is one gay footballer on the books at every club.

I would love it if a footballer came out, and it would be great if the football fans acted maturely. The rugby world is streets ahead of us on this topic. It's more likely that a player will be exposed by the tabloids before a player makes the conscious decision to come out.

Dave Jones is gay

What about the former man utd goalie Jimmy Rimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Dave Jones is gay
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Sadly, there would be problems with the sheep culture on terraces. We know how an innocent man, Dave Jones, got on at certain away grounds.

It's extremely likely that there is one gay footballer on the books at every club.

I would love it if a footballer came out, and it would be great if the football fans acted maturely. The rugby world is streets ahead of us on this topic. It's more likely that a player will be exposed by the tabloids before a player makes the conscious decision to come out.
    If the rugby world is streets ahead of us on this topic then why did Gareth wait until almost the end of his career and until his international career was over before coming out,wouldn't it have been amazing if at the height of his magnificent career as Welsh rugby captain he could have made the same stand for gay people as he does today

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    If the rugby world is streets ahead of us on this topic then why did Gareth wait until almost the end of his career and until his international career was over before coming out,wouldn't it have been amazing if at the height of his magnificent career as Welsh rugby captain he could have made the same stand for gay people as he does today
    I suspect because it was more than just rugby he'd be coming out to. At the time he was also married.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    He was married. Also, isn't that referee gay?