+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alfie v Homophobia

Re: Alfie v Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Interesting how your opinion of him changed so much.
    Because there are gay people who just get on with their lives, and those liked 'Alfie' who takes every opportunity available to him to display and promote his type of sexuality. The whole point of this thread is 'so-and-so is gay, so what', yet this man spends his life shouting it from the rooftops...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Because there are gay people who just get on with their lives, and those liked 'Alfie' who takes every opportunity available to him to display and promote his type of sexuality. The whole point of this thread is 'so-and-so is gay, so what', yet this man spends his life shouting it from the rooftops...
    His shouting from the rooftops is very beneficial to support youngsters who are faced with the difficult process of coming out. High profile people like him make a massive difference. People still commit suicide because of it.

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

By the way, I was asked for feedback this week regarding a poster to be rolled out by a government department.
    It included a reference to 'work colleagues'.

Now, that explains his supposed absence from this 'board .

So did you mention it to the work colleagues who sent you the poster?

His shouting from the rooftops is very beneficial to support youngsters who are faced with the difficult process of coming out. High profile people like him make a massive difference. People still commit suicide because of it.

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Remember the abuse Le Saux took when he played,and he was not gay.
    That was because he read the Guardian

We mostly like to think we are 'yeah gay, so what' but then we feel uncomfortable when gay people talk about being gay
    People being overtly anything will create a reaction, negatively for some
    Oh look at me I'm so very white
    Oh look at me I'm so very black
    Oh look at me I'm so very straight
    Oh look at me I'm so very gay

etc.

Society might be better off simply learning to not care - either or any way - rather than caring 'too much' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    People being overtly anything will create a reaction, negatively for some
    Oh look at me I'm so very white
    Oh look at me I'm so very black
    Oh look at me I'm so very straight
    Oh look at me I'm so very gay

etc.

Society might be better off simply learning to not care either or any way, rather than caring 'too much' ?
    I pretty much agree but wouldn't put Gareth Thomas in the 'I'm so very gay' category.

Not that it matters but in recent times (post 2000) the only footballer I believe to have come out publicly, who has played in the top 4 divisions is Robbie Rogers; who then announced retirement shortly after. This was only brief and he went back to play in the MLS (and still is).

I feel sorry for the fact that someone will be scrutinised for being a human being, for god sake, why should they get hammered for their personal life? We've got brain dead fans in our game who would ruin the reputation of all fans if a player came out to the public.

If I was a professional footballer who happened to be gay I wouldn't make it public either. No way would I want to deal with the additional pressures and anxiety everyday for being myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Not that it matters but in recent times (post 2000) the only footballer I believe to have come out publicly, who has played in the top 4 divisions is Robbie Rogers; who then announced retirement shortly after. This was only brief and he went back to play in the MLS (and still is).

I feel sorry for the fact that someone will be scrutinised for being a human being, for god sake, why should they get hammered for their personal life? We've got brain dead fans in our game who would ruin the reputation of all fans if a player came out to the public.

If I was a professional footballer who happened to be gay I wouldn't make it public either. No way would I want to deal with the additional pressures and anxiety everyday for being myself.
    As someone who is old enough to remember the time when homosexuality was illegal, I can't help thinking you are right there. Good on the youth of today, because they genuinely do seem to have a couldn't care less attitude when it comes to someone's sexuality and Id like to think that, as someone who generally has a live and let live attitude to individual freedoms, I'm close to that as well.

However, all of those camp caricatures I grew up watching when a comedian. or in some cases a serious actor, went into "gay mode" in the 60s and 70s did have an impact on me to the extent that, with someone like Gareth Thomas, when I think of him now, I don't think of him as being a former Wales rugby player, but as someone who has come out - don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered at all about him being gay, but it does seem more relevant to me than it should be.

So, if someone like me, who I would place on the tolerant end of thinking in my age group when it comes to LGBT matters, can think like that, it seems to me that those on the other end of the spectrum would not be backward in coming forward in letting any footballer in an opposing team know exactly what they thought of him if he had come out as being gay - given the tribal nature of football support, I think it might be that an openly gay player may be accepted more easily than he/she may think by their team's supporters though.

I'd like to think that one big name footballer admitting they were gay could produce a domino effect as others followed and, in such a case, I don't believe it would take too long before any reaction to them would fade, but, looking at Gareth Thomas' original sport or the one he ended up playing, it's hardly as if his coming out prompted others to do so - I found one high profile player in either code in this country who is openly gay when I Googled "gay rugby players".

So, while it's easy to, rightly, single out football for being behind most other sports when it comes to acceptance of gay players, it's hardly as if other leading sports in this country (in cricket, Steve Davies' public admission to being gay in 2011 has not seen many, if any, players follow his example yet) are beacons of tolerance either - there are still far, far more high profile sportsmen and women in the closet than out of it even in these more enlightened times surely?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Since he went public it seems there's nothing he won't do to promote his sexuality. Around 10 yrs ago used to chat to him while watching one of my lads play football. Nice guy, down to earth, now seems to be the stereotypical self-publicist queen...
    He was close to committing suicide and there must be others who feel the same or at least in a very unhappy state. He therefore decided to do something about it. Hardly self-publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

This fella is the most prominent footballer to openly admit to being gay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hitzlsperger

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This fella is the most prominent footballer to openly admit to being gay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hitzlsperger
    He'd already retired when he came out.

It's interesting how the straight people on this board think coming out should be an easy thing for anyone. Footballers wouldn't only have the fans to worry about (and if we are being honest you'd get loads of twats giving abuse for it) but they've got to worry about the attitudes from team mates in a very "macho/lad" environment and they don't know if it could have a negative affect on their career, earning potential or marketability.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's interesting how the straight people on this board think coming out should be an easy thing for anyone. Footballers wouldn't only have the fans to worry about (and if we are being honest you'd get loads of twats giving abuse for it) but they've got to worry about the attitudes from team mates in a very "macho/lad" environment and they don't know if it could have a negative affect on their career, earning potential or marketability.
    so if the price is right then

I'm not sure it's fair to blame people for feeling uncomfortable having to listen to someone banging on about their sexual kinks though.

If the guy next to me in the pub started going on about how proud he was to be a foot fetishist I'd tell him to keep it to himself.

People's sex lives used to be a private thing.

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    so if the price is right then
    Yeah I wouldn't go public with something if it was going to knock a % off my earnings. Especially if my career was only 10-12 years.

There's more to it than that of course, there's a huge psychological stress with it too. Hence why so many young gay people still commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm not sure it's fair to blame people for feeling uncomfortable having to listen to someone banging on about their sexual kinks though.

If the guy next to me in the pub started going on about how proud he was to be a foot fetishist I'd tell him to keep it to himself.

No one is talking about sexual kinks and "banging" on about them though just about people coming out. Being gay isn't a sexual kink.

OMG being gay is not a sexual thing
    wow you really 1 hypocritical retarded ****

It's not a sexual kink I said. What's hypocritical about that?

It's not a sexual kink I said. What's hypocritical about that?
    not the comment the person
    last week calls me racist for disagreeing with an Asian poster
    and now I'm going to push the homophobic card on him

Sorry I thought you were talking to me, carry on

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    not the comment the person
    last week calls me racist for disagreeing with an Asian poster
    and now I'm going to push the homophobic card on him
    If you 8 political correctness why have you got cards?

Sorry I thought you were talking to me, carry on
    no worries son

Yeah there's a time and place of course. I'm talking about monkfish's change of opinion on Thomas. Personally, I don't think Thomas bangs on about it, I'm sure he doesn't have conversations with other dads at football about how he loves being gay. He's using his media profile to help others in his situation, not being an attention seeking drama queen (as there are undoubtedly around, and they wind me up a bit too).

Never mind the players, when will the first gay ccmb poster feel able to out themselves on here - and how will they be received.

I'd like to think it wouldn't be an issue at all, which I think is different than it would have been only a few years ago.