+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burton game is huge and must go well

Burton game is huge and must go well

Its huge for a lot of reasons imo
    NW will want to get off to a good start for the season
    The new players must show they have improved us
    The fans want success and this is a perfect game to start with
    Its a balls ache of a place to get too !!

Re: Burton game is huge and must go well

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    From Trinity in Jersey I tend to agree.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    From Trinity in Jersey I tend to agree.
    Take my hat off for your effort Sir. Most of the posters on here can't be bothered to travel from Cardiff and that's the home games

3 points would be nice. An away draw would be acceptable. A loss would be disappointing.

It might make a difference in May of 2018. But it's not going to make or break us in August 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Take my hat off for your effort Sir. Most of the posters on here can't be bothered to travel from Cardiff and that's the home games
    It is an addiction. I'm no different to anyone else that makes the effort and enjoys the away experience.
    It is TOTALLY different to the home experience as everyone that goes away knows. Thanks for the kind words though!

Alternatively:

It's 1 game of 46.
    Some players still bedding in so let's give them time.
    A good start can mean where you are after 10-12 games rather than 1.
    If we lose and win the next 5 it won't be so bad.
    Some of our fans are patient for success.
    Take some ice for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    3 points would be nice. An away draw would be acceptable. A loss would be disappointing.

It might make a difference in May of 2018. But it's not going to make or break us in August 2017.
    It may not make or break but anything less than a win would tend to reinforce the belief that we may not have quite enough this year. 2 or 3 points dropped at any time of the season is important and, with the greatest of respect to Burton, we'd need to be beating teams of this standing if we want to get into top 6 this season

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    It may not make or break but anything less than a win would tend to reinforce the belief that we may not have quite enough this year. 2 or 3 points dropped at any time of the season is important and, with the greatest of respect to Burton, we'd need to be beating teams of this standing if we want to get into top 6 this season
    Look Geordie bastards started like a league 2 outfit last season.
    A draw away is a good start a win a bonus.
    A loss will be disappointing no more.
    Losing by more than 2 goals mind. Mrs W out!

Wolves away is a bigger game. Things will have started to be indicative by then.

I will take and expect a draw at Burton.

Must win game imo

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Look Geordie bastards started like a league 2 outfit last season.
    A draw away is a good start a win a bonus.
    A loss will be disappointing no more.
    Losing by more than 2 goals mind. Mrs W out!

Wolves away is a bigger game. Things will have started to be indicative by then.

I will take and expect a draw at Burton.
    I think a draw away on the opening day of the season is good anywhere. However, if we are really going to achieve anything this season then this will definitely be a game Warnock would hope we'd turn from a draw into a win.

In this league anything is possible though, and I think the odds on winning, drawing or losing are about the same for this match.

Looking forward to the season starting now

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    dam right that's some trek to watch the city mate
    to you mate

I'm not confident, it will be a step up for us.

We haven't played enough quality opposition in preseason so I fear we may take a couple of Games to get up to speed.
    Shrewsbury are the best side we have faced and are league one, and we lost to them. The remaining sides have been at a very poor standard.

Let's face it - it's a must win game.

If we lose we've just got too much ground to make up before the end of season

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Let's face it - it's a must win game.

If we lose we've just got too much ground to make up before the end of season
    Whoever wins this league will expect to win at Burton. 2nd place too. Is that Us?

Nice attempt to lay the foundations for a possible attack on Warnock.

Yes, we all want a good start. However, there needs to be context, which your post lacks totally. Burton's home form was only 2 wins worse than ours was last season and included some impressive wins against Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Norwich and Derby. A win at Burton would be a good result, but failing to win wouldn't be a disaster, either. Let's also assume that Burton will probably be amongst the division's strugglers again. No side manages to win all of its games away at the lower teams in the division, so we'll have what might seem to be disappointing results against the strugglers, but every team has them from time to time.

You also have to add to the equation the opening day of the season factor, where you quite often get odd results. We've also got players that will take time to gel. Simply expecting them to show how they improve us from the off shows a serious lack of footballing knowledge.

A draw against Burton would be good in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Whoever wins this league will expect to win at Burton. 2nd place too. Is that Us?
    Newcastle lost at Forest and Blackburn last season. They both finished below Burton. Brighton also lost at Forest.

As I've just posted, while teams aiming for the top would expect to win against the strugglers, that never always happens. Top teams virtually always have the odd bad result against teams near the bottom, especially away.

Eric and his one sided stats to suit his own argument yet again.

The fact remains the top 5 all beat Burton away last season only Wednesday in 6th got beat there.

Therefore it's not remiss of those saying if you've got ambitions to go up you should be beating Burton away.

That said I do agree with Eric that there is clearly a hidden agenda with Chepstows post, and with it being the first game of the season then a draw wouldn't be a bad result.

First games of the season are notorious for being unpredictable. You only got to look at the opening championship game last season where Newcastle lost at Fulham where all the pundits were predicting Newcastle would run away with the league and Fulham would struggle and likely to be relegated. In the event Fulham won and went on to reach the play offs. Over the years there have been numerous open day shockers but the one that really sticks in my mind from the championship was Norwich v Colchester. Norwich odds on for promotion and their rivals odds on for relegation. Result - Norwich 1 Colchester 7! Within a week Norwich sacked their manager and appointed Colchester's! (Mike Walker). Subsequently, Norwich went onto secure promotion and Colchester were indeed relegated. Win, lose or draw, Saturday's results will have no bearing whatsoever on any teams likelihood of failure or success.

We took one point from our first two away games the season we went up as Champions. Including a defeat to the wurzels who finished bottom that season.

Peterborough who were also relegated did the double over us. Trying to read too much into the result of a single game, let alone the first game of the season is a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Eric and his one sided stats to suit his own argument yet again.

The fact remains the top 5 all beat Burton away last season only Wednesday in 6th got beat there.

Therefore it's not remiss of those saying if you've got ambitions to go up you should be beating Burton away.

That said I do agree with Eric that there is clearly a hidden agenda with Chepstows post, and with it being the first game of the season then a draw wouldn't be a bad result.
    Please explain how my argument is one sided? I'll go through it again.

Some people are suggesting Burton are a side we should beat. I can understand why - they are likely to be one of the weaker sides in the Championship while we have ambitions of being one of the better teams at this level.

Beating Burton away will not guarantee promotion or a top 6 finish. You say if we have ambition to go up we should be winning at Burton. That's just one club. That's just one club that will be likely to struggle this season. If we lose to them then it's not the end of the world, neither does it show a lack of ambition. If we kept losing away to the divisional strugglers, then we're not likely to go up.

I'd expect a team with promotion ambitions to win a good percentage of games away at the teams close to the bottom. If we lost to Burton but then won at teams like Millwall, Bolton, Forest, Sheffield Utd, Birmingham, Bristol City etc, then the result against one team won't make any difference.

You happily mention that all of the top 5 won at Burton. Given that they finished above Nottingham Forest, shouldn't teams that had promotion ambitions also expected (to a greater extent) to have won at Forest? Interestingly none of the top 6 won there; only Fulham and Sheff Wed got draws there, the rest lost. Did defeats suffered by Newcastle, Brighton, Reading and Huddersfield mean they had no promotion ambitions? Of course not. Funnily, Forest beat the three promoted teams at home, possibly the only Championship team to do so, though I haven't checked.

Arguing about how teams got on against Burton is as pointless and futile as arguing about how teams got on against Forest, or Rotherham, or Wigan etc, which is my point. It's how we get on overall against the Championship strugglers. We won't win every game against teams near the bottom. Not even promotion winning teams win all their games at the division's weakest sides. That's why measuring promotion ambition against the result of one football match against one team is utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Surely nobody is expecting us to be first or second this season??

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Nice attempt to lay the foundations for a possible attack on Warnock.

Yes, we all want a good start. However, there needs to be context, which your post lacks totally. Burton's home form was only 2 wins worse than ours was last season and included some impressive wins against Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Norwich and Derby. A win at Burton would be a good result, but failing to win wouldn't be a disaster, either. Let's also assume that Burton will probably be amongst the division's strugglers again. No side manages to win all of its games away at the lower teams in the division, so we'll have what might seem to be disappointing results against the strugglers, but every team has them from time to time.

You also have to add to the equation the opening day of the season factor, where you quite often get odd results. We've also got players that will take time to gel. Simply expecting them to show how they improve us from the off shows a serious lack of footballing knowledge.

A draw against Burton would be good in my eyes.
    Blimey all a bit deep for me this. My point was based on from what i read on burton news they will be without Ben Turner banned, Brayford had gone back to Sheff Utd and Kightly, Woodrow and Christensen have gone back to other clubs after loans and their goalie has left. I thought that would weaken them?

Blimey all a bit deep for me this. My point was based on from what i read on burton news they will be without Ben Turner banned, Brayford had gone back to Sheff Utd and Kightly, Woodrow and Christensen have gone back to other clubs after loans and their goalie has left. I thought that would weaken them?
    Burton lost their friendly to Shrewsbury yesterday to maintain a 100% record for the Shrews against Championship clubs, and as a bonus had Marvin Sordell red carded (does that rule him out on Saturday?) and their record signing Liam Boyce stretchered off.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/fo...albions-254017

Burton away becomes a bigger banana skin by the day!

Edit: Burton have a friendly on Tuesday so Sordell will be able to play against us.

We will 3-1 now settle down for Countryfile.

As long as we are chugging along and competitive, I don't care what we are like until around February.

If we are claiming 1st games of the season are must wins we are going to be complaining none stop, as we are guaranteed to have periods when we are awful.

Burton were one of the worst teams I have seen live though when we played them at home.