+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: U2 Joshua Tree 2017

U2 Joshua Tree 2017

Everyone's favourite band to knock etc. etc, but the Joshua Tree gig at the arms park was an outstanding gig just IMO and not FACT!!! just catching up with the current tour on YOUTube, pains me to say, the band is shot to bits, i've seen better cover bands on the South Wales circuit knocking out their tunes.

Re: U2 Joshua Tree 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Everyone's favourite band to knock etc. etc, but the Joshua Tree gig at the arms park was an outstanding gig just IMO and not FACT!!! just catching up with the current tour on YOUTube, pains me to say, the band is shot to bits, i've seen better cover bands on the South Wales circuit knocking out their tunes.
    Joshua tree is a cracking album
    but not in the class of the
    stone roses debut album
    its just bono is 1 pretentious twaat
    it

Managed to climb over gate and get into the gig for free. U2 were damn good that night. Sadly they have gone down hill at a great amount of knots since.

Pay taxes ,become accepted, hang on, its ok with Eves to play Glastonbury ,deal with demonstrators , hang on let's party with labour this year , hating the elite , what's going on .

They are the elite.

I disagree.
    I web to Twickenham the other weekntknser then and the gig they put in that night was up there with the best I'd seen.
    Brilliant absolutely brillliant 🎸🎸

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Managed to climb over gate and get into the gig for free. U2 were damn good that night. Sadly they have gone down hill at a great amount of knots since.
    I was part of the security that day inside the stadium, that's probably why you got in for free , it was a great concert though. The Alarm were really good too, Mike Peters got things swinging along nicely, however, the Pretenders were a bit of a let down I thought.

Right at the start they played Ben E. King's "Stand By Me" over the PA system and Bono's voice faded in over it, while the crowd joined in unison.

Old blokes too old to do what they used to do well when they were young. Nothing more compliance than that. It's a shame to see artists carry on past the unmarked line of dignity. But many do, when they need not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pe View Post
    Old blokes too old to do what they used to do well when they were young. Nothing more compliance than that. It's a shame to see artists carry on past the unmarked line of dignity. But many do, when they need not.
    Nothing any of us can do about getting old.

I saw them in June in Chicago. Incredible concert. Up there with some of the best live performances I've seen.

QUOTE=CardiffIrish2;4762997]I disagree.
    I web to shoulenham the other weekntknser then and the gig they put in that night was up there with the best I'd seen.
    Brilliant absolutely brillliant 🎸🎸[/QUOTE]

Saw them in June in Chicago.

I think this tour has been incredible.

Even some of U2s biggest critics have acknowledged how good they have been.

Some of the Joshua Tree songs given a revamp and sound superb. 'Exit' for example.... Quite an experience live.

I saw a local band called Pizzatramp recently. Good band and they do a song called "Bono You're a F***ing *C***". Which is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I saw a local band called Pizzatramp recently. Good band and they do a song caIed "Bono You're a F***ing *C***". Which is true.
    Haha. Maybe. Bono is very aware of what some people think of him and doesnt care. he may actually agree with the.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Nothing any of us can do about getting old.

I saw them in June in Chicago. Incredible concert. Up there with some of the best live performances I've seen.
    OK fair enough.
    I watched some YT clips as i was curious regards the revisiting of the Joshua Tree, and what I saw looked like how i described it above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    OK fair enough.
    I watched some YT clips as i was curious regards the revisiting of the Joshua Tree, and what I saw looked like how i described it above.
    Each to his own.

As an aside. Despite the oft legit criticism Bono gets.. some of his advocacy has been very productive. I work in the sector directly benefitting from some of the initiatives bono has lobbied for or been involved with. In east Africa .. especially Uganda we have an almost 0% transmission rate of mother to child HIV, other countries are also getting there... Much of that success is down to PEPFAR who have invested in research and helped rolled out programmes to make that possible. Also the ONE campaign is probably the most effective advocacy organization in the US. A colleague is working with them to monitor and lobby US politicians to ensure compliance with the US commitment to the most vulnerable groups in the US and abroad. Also I personally worked on a project funded by them.

So a twat he may be but I don't suppose it matters to the people benefitting.
    Last edited by AfricanBluebird; 30-07-17 at 09:12. Reason: spelling

Haha. Maybe. Bono is very aware of what some people think of him and doesnt care. he may actually agree with the.
    I'm sure you're right and he couldn't care less.

They also told a decent joke - "What's the difference between Bono and God?" Answer - "God doesn't walk around Dublin pretending he's Bono"

[QUOTE: robin Friday's Ghost;4763062]I'm sure you're right and he couldn't care less.

They also told a decent joke - "What's the difference between Bono and God?" Answer - "God doesn't walk around Dublin pretending he's Bono"[/QUOTE]

hah thats very good.

I am also biased.. see my comment above.

Also I made a promotional video in the late 90's for an organisation in Rwanda who were working on reconciliation following the genocide. I used a U2 SONG 'mothers of the disappeared' and when the video was aired on national TV I had to get permission from the band. The official fees for using one of their songs was astronomical. But the band allowed me to use the song for a whopping one pound.

Reporter to Bono: isn't it ridiculous that you've been given glamour woman of the year award?

Bono: it is ridiculous but I didn't have the humility to turn it down.

Now that's funny.

BONO- Everytime i clap a child dies due to poverty.

Crowd - Stop f,ckin clapping then.

[QUOTE: robin Friday's Ghost;4763062]I'm sure you're right and he couldn't care less.

They also told a decent joke - "What's the difference between Bono and God?" Answer - "God doesn't walk around Dublin pretending he's Bono"
    hah thats very good.

I am also biased.. see my comment above.

Also I made a promotional video in the late 90's for an organisation in Rwanda who were working on reconciliation following the genocide. I used a U2 SONG 'mothers of the disappeared' and when the video was aired on national TV I had to get permission from the band. The official fees for using one of their songs was astronomical. But the band allowed me to use the song for a whopping one pound.

Reporter to Bono: isn't it ridiculous that you've been given glamour woman of the year award?

Bono: it is ridiculous but I didn't have the humility to turn it down.

Now that's funny.[/QUOTE]

I like him too. I can see why people have a pop at him but he's done some great work for charity ( and he likes to talk about it 😃) and he's very self deprecating in interviews.

This tour was up there with the best I've seen them, the version of Exit with the Trump reference was phenomenal.

Still my favourite band 🎸🎸🎸

Each to his own.

As an aside. Despite the oft legit criticism Bono gets.. some of his advocacy has been very productive. I work in the sector directly benefitting from some of the initiatives bono has lobbied for or been involved with. In east Africa .. especially Uganda we have an almost 0% transmission rate of mother to child HIV, other countries are also getting there... Much of that success is down to PEPFAR who have invested in research and helped rolled out programmes to make that possible. Also the ONE campaign is probably the most effective advocacy organization in the US. A colleague is working with them to monitor and lobby US politicians to ensure compliance with the US commitment to the most vulnerable groups in the US and abroad. Also I personally worked on a project funded by them.

So a twat he may be but I don't suppose it matters to the people benefitting.
    Fair enough again.
    I always liked U2 btw - up until 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'.
    No idea what they did since that, but I have roundly defended them many a time in the past ;)

Fair enough again.
    No idea what they did since that, but I have roundly defended them many a time in the past ;)
    Joshua Tree is their stellar Album but I have liked the fact that they have changed style and direction over the years, you cannot keep selling the same old thing to the same old crowd forever (I believe was a quote from Bonzo), my disappointment on seeing/hearing the 2017 Joshua Tree on youtube was the on how the band have become so loose, they still play well individually, edge has been an innovative guitarist but, they seem all over the shop playing as a 4some, unlike Jim Kerr's voice which has held up remarkably well, Bonzo just cannot do it, I watched segments from about 5 recent gigs yesterday, Bonzo I didn't think seemed to be enjoying it, and was just going through the motions, the unforgettable fire LP, is the best album for demonstrating how much better Vinyl is over CD, on vinyl it's dynamic and breathes, on CD its lack lustre, their gig at the Stadium a few years ago was O.K ish

[QUOTE=Rock_Flock_of_Five;4763032]I was part of the security that day inside the stadium, that's probably why you got in for free ,

There was a gate on Park Street, that wasn't hard to climb over. It brought me out near the front, on the right hand side of the stage.

Went to the Mars Bar Club on Charles Street, and got very wrecked after the gig

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Joshua Tree is their stellar Album but I have liked the fact that they have changed style and direction over the years, you cannot keep selling the same old thing to the same old crowd forever (I believe was a quote from Bonzo), my disappointment on seeing/hearing the 2017 Joshua Tree on youtube was the on how the band have become so loose, they still play well individually, edge has been an innovative guitarist but, they seem all over the shop playing as a 4some, unlike Jim Kerr's voice which has held up remarkably well, Bonzo just cannot do it, I watched segments from about 5 recent gigs yesterday, Bonzo I didn't think seemed to be enjoying it, and was just going through the motions, the unforgettable fire LP, is the best album for demonstrating how much better Vinyl is over CD, on vinyl it's dynamic and breathes, on CD its lack lustre, their gig at the Stadium a few years ago was O.K ish
    Fair points.
    Bono's voice was never going to stand the test of time such was the strain he put on himself. Poor idea this.
    The JT was a great album at the time and its content and release perfectly timed for the American market & tours.
    Loved U2 back then but these days if they were playing out my garden I'd shut my window draw the curtains.

Fair enough again.
    That was the album that did it for me as well, i loved Vertigo as a single but just looked up the track listing for the album and I cant recall a single other song.

might be of interest to U2 and depeche mode fans on here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-mode-13433654

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    might be of interest to U2 and depeche mode fans on here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-mode-13433654

I was at that Funktion Suite gig by Depeche Mode. It was a tiny venue above Nero's nightclub.

I also saw Soft Cell play there too and a London based band called Funkapolitan.