+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Tomlin takes over Peter Whittingham's No. 7 shirt

Re: Squad Numbers

Yes I am pretty convinced we have 1 more big signing to look forward to, no doubt waiting on Noone's sale. That person will be our new no 12.

Re: Lee Tomlin takes over Peter Whittingham's No. 7 shirt

Loyal but one of the best ever hmmmnmm

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Just an opinion, yours is different

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Loyal to the high wage he couldn't possibly hope to get anywhere else that would take him. Should've been kicked to the curb years ago..

Tomlin may turn out to be a flop but atleast we have a chance of something better than utterly useless in the middle of the park

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Great way to talk about a man who made over 400 appearances for the club

Sure he isn't the player he was but he still deserves some respect
    He didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart, he's been paid very well for a decade. The money drops and he buggers off. Yeah, deserves loads of respect! Before you say "he wants first team football" that isn't guaranteed in any team.

Naturally skilled? Yes; 100% workrate? Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    Loyal to the high wage he couldn't possibly hope to get anywhere else that would take him. Should've been kicked to the curb years ago..

Tomlin may turn out to be a flop but atleast we have a chance of something better than utterly useless in the middle of the park
    This!

Re: Squad Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Chances of us fielding numbers 1-11 in the same starting lineup must be pretty slim. I wonder when that last happened
    It happened all the time in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    He didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart, he's been paid very well for a decade. The money drops and he buggers off. Yeah, deserves loads of respect! Before you say "he wants first team football" that isn't guaranteed in any team.

Naturally skilled? Yes; 100% workrate? Never!
    He left after it had been made clear he wasn't wanted

I know that he was paid to play for the club, but he still showed loyalty to a club when he could have left for more money elsewhere and he deserves more respect than what he's been given here

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He left after it had been made clear he wasn't wanted

I know that he was paid to play for the club, but he still showed loyalty to a club when he could have left for more money elsewhere and he deserves more respect than what he's been given here
    You're wasting your time fella

Fred back with a vengeance! Straight in at number 26!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Ive written him a new terrace chant -
    No-one wants him but we don't care, Freddie Gounongbe.

Should've retired number 7 for a season, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

some scary mug-shots there.

This thread sums up what became the Whittingham dilemma as far as I'm concerned. On the one hand we have a group who are determinedly failing to remember that Whitts was at the heart of virtually everything City did to make the decade he was here, arguably, the best in the club's history - he is one of the City greats, no matter how much some seem to have trouble admitting it.

On the other hand, you get the Whittingham devotees who, I feel, deny what their eyes have been telling them for the past two years or so - that is that, Whitts was not the player he had been and it had reached the stage where City's most effective performances tended to happen when he was not in the starting eleven. Yes, there was always the odd moment of peerless skill and a perfectly taken penalty, corner or free kick (although his excellence in this department tended to desert him when he was shooting during his latter years here) to admire, but, even when he was used out wide, Whitts was central to how we played and how the match panned out when he was at his best, whereas he had become a decoration, but not a very influential one. by the time he left.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This thread sums up what became the Whittingham dilemma as far as I'm concerned. On the one hand we have a group who are determinedly failing to remember that Whitts was at the heart of virtually everything City did to make the decade he was here, arguably, the best in the club's history - he is one of the City greats, no matter how much some seem to have trouble admitting it.

On the other hand, you get the Whittingham devotees who, I feel, deny what their eyes have been telling them for the past two years or so - that is that, Whitts was not the player he had been and it had reached the stage where City's most effective performances tended to happen when he was not in the starting eleven. Yes, there was always the odd moment of peerless skill and a perfectly taken penalty, corner or free kick (although his excellence in this department tended to desert him when he was shooting during his latter years here) to admire, but, even when he was used out wide, Whitts was central to how we played and how the match panned out when he was at his best, whereas he had become a decoration, but not a very influential one. by the time he left.
    That sums up my opinion of Whitts exactly. He has been our most creative and influential player for almost a decade, and a genuine club legend. But he has faded, lost another yard of pace (not much to start with) and become more hit and miss with his set pieces. It is better he has moved on so he doesn't become a passenger or tarnish the memories, and maybe he can make a real impact at Blackburn for a couple of seasons.

All I want now is a well organised testimonial at a sensible time so there can be a proper goodbye, and we have a chance to show our appreciation.

I liked Whitts and he has given me some of my best memories as a Cardiff fan.

His best season was when he was our top scorer from the left.

He has always been a bit of a conundrum for me in that as the game has evolved we never really found a position for him.

I think he could have done more with his career if he had a bit more belief. I accept he never had the pace to beat men like Ryan Giggs but i wish he would have attacked space more when it opened up in front of him. (Especially with a left foot wand like his)

I feel a bit contradictory as i love players that get me off my seat and Whitts has certainly done that over the years and there have been times when he has been brilliant, but I'd be lying if i said i was always satisfied with our midfield with him and Gunnarsson.

He often left me wanting more. I'm hoping that Tomlin can come somewhere near Whitts in set piece delivery (though i don't think it will be as good) but make up for it in attacking intent and ability to beat a man.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Tonkin can bring to the squad, and I'm sure he'll do well for us.
    But in years to come, will we be talking about retiring his shirt, testimonials or even mentioning him in the same breath as Whitts?
    I think not.