+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: BURTON ALBION 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

FT: BURTON ALBION 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

Burton injury update

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/fo...-injury-267441

Burton Albion do not have any new injury worries ahead of the visit of Cardiff City in Saturday's Championship curtain-raiser at the Pirelli Stadium, according to manager Nigel Clough.

Record-signing Liam Boyce begins his road to recovery after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Saturday's friendly against Shrewsbury Town.

Defender Ben Turner also misses out, as he starts his five game suspension after being found guilty of racially abusing Brentford midfielder Nico Yennaris in December last season.

Jackson Irvine - who missed Albion's last two friendlies because of a tight hamstring - is also expected to feature against the Bluebirds.

Striker Luke Varney is also available following a spell out because of a similar issue.

Clough revealed Hope Akpan should be in-line to feature - after his header opened the scoring in last night's 2-1 friendly win over former Primer League champions Leicester.

“No, not at the moment," replied Clough, when asked about any injury worries the Brewers currently have ahead of Saturday's match.

"I think Hope - his knee was a little bit sore last night.

"He should be fine and in contention, so we've got about 18 or 19 to choose from."

“Yeah, he should be fine" Clough added regarding former Derby County man Varney.

"He was down to play last night, but it was just precautionary in the end, (there was) no point in risking him.

"So he will be available."

BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

And so it begins

Re: BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

C'MON ON CITY, C'MON.

C'MON CITY, C'MON CITY, C'MON CITY, C'MON

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    And so it begins
    As the hedgehog said in the Toy Story short film Terror

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    C'MON ON CITY, C'MON.

Yes it's been ages since our last proper game

Odds courtesy of Betfred and at time of posting as follows:

Burton 17/10
    Draw 9/4
    Cardiff 17/10

Long time lurker, registered just in time for the new season. Ridiculously excited COME ON CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Long time lurker, registered just in time for the new season. Ridiculously excited COME ON CITY!
    Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Welcome aboard
    Well, "HELLO SAILOR"

C'MON ON CITY, C'MON.

Don't tell me we've conceded a goal already!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Don't tell me we've conceded a goal already!
    Haha! I got a ticket for Villa mate. Im making a comeback this season.

Haha! I got a ticket for Villa mate. Im making a comeback this season.

Good mate. You're not the only one, there's a lot of lads coming back this season. There definitely seems to be a better feel good factor around the club at the moment.

We need to get off to a good start then i thinl we'll have big crowds.

The fact that Burton sold out in two days and loads of regulars missed the boat shows that we're in a good place at present.

And so it begins
    As the hedgehog said in the Toy Story short film Terror
    And as G'Kar says in the opening credits of Babylon 5

Burton injury update

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/fo...-injury-267441

Burton Albion do not have any new injury worries ahead of the visit of Cardiff City in Saturday's Championship curtain-raiser at the Pirelli Stadium, according to manager Nigel Clough.

Record-signing Liam Boyce begins his road to recovery after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Saturday's friendly against Shrewsbury Town.

Defender Ben Turner also misses out, as he starts his five game suspension after being found guilty of racially abusing Brentford midfielder Nico Yennaris in December last season.

Jackson Irvine - who missed Albion's last two friendlies because of a tight hamstring - is also expected to feature against the Bluebirds.

Striker Luke Varney is also available following a spell out because of a similar issue.

Clough revealed Hope Akpan should be in-line to feature - after his header opened the scoring in last night's 2-1 friendly win over former Primer League champions Leicester.

“No, not at the moment," replied Clough, when asked about any injury worries the Brewers currently have ahead of Saturday's match.

"I think Hope - his knee was a little bit sore last night.

"He should be fine and in contention, so we've got about 18 or 19 to choose from."

“Yeah, he should be fine" Clough added regarding former Derby County man Varney.

"He was down to play last night, but it was just precautionary in the end, (there was) no point in risking him.

"So he will be available."

2 more sleeps
    I haven't been as excited as this about going down the city in a long time
    come Friday evening I will be biting my nails pacing up n down
    cmon city

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    And as G'Kar says in the opening credits of Babylon 5
    And as Lennie Lawrence once said to me when I wished him luck for the 2003/04 season. I was quite baffled.

Welcome aboard
    Cheers mucker

Zohore to score 2 or more is 10/1 with Willy Hill.

Worth two pounds!.

ONE MORE SLEEP LEFT

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    ONE MORE SLEEP LEFT
    Can't wait for the season to start, just been up the bookies to get my footy betting slips for my accies etc

Match facts

• After failing to win their first five opening-day matches in the English Football League, the Brewers have won two of the past three (L1).
    • Cardiff City have won four and drawn four of their past nine matches on the opening weekend of the season (L1).
    • Veteran manager Neil Warnock has lost just once in his past 10 opening-day matches (W4 D5), losing 4-0 to Bolton while in charge of QPR in the Premier League.
    • This will be the fourth competitive meeting between Burton and Cardiff, with the home side winning all three previous clashes (Cardiff twice and Burton once).
    • Kenneth Zohore was directly involved in more goals than any other Cardiff player in 2016-17 (12 goals, five assists). Zohore failed to score or assist in both meetings with Burton last season.
    • Jackson Irvine was the only Burton player to reach double figures for goals in the Championship last season (10), but did not provide a single assist.

Burton will be without Ben Turner, who starts a five-match ban after being found guilty of racially abusing Brentford's Nico Yennaris last season.

Striker Liam Boyce will be out for much of the season with an anterior cruciate ligament injury sustained last weekend.

Cardiff winger Kadeem Harris will be out for up to three months after injuring his ankle in pre-season.

The visitors will also be without keeper Lee Camp, along with defenders Callum Paterson and Matt Connolly.

Geoff Eltringham is the referee

More...

The match officials for the opening game of the season at Burton on Saturday have been announced.

Geoff Eltringham is the man in charge as the 2017 / 2018 campaign kicks off.

Referee: GEOFF ELTRINGHAM (County Durham)
    Assistants: Nick Greenhalgh and James Mainwaring
    Fourth Official: Michael Salisbury

Eltringham has officiated a number of City games previously, his first was a 1 - 0 Bluebirds win at Barnsley in 2012.

Records show Eltringham's first senior apppointment as a referee was a Blue Square Premier League game at the start of the 2008 / 09 season, at Burton!

Over the last three seasons he has referee'd five Cardiff City games with four of them defeats for the Bluebirds.

Last season he officiated two Cardif City matches. He sent off Lee Peltier at Villa Park as City went down 3 - 1 and he sent off Matt Connolly as City lost 2 - 0 at home to Derby. Over the whole season he officiated 40 games issuing 112 yellow cards and 5 red.

[QUOTE=Carl Dale's Mole;4764850]ONE MORE SLEEP LEFT[/QUOTE]

I didn't realise how small the Pirelli is.

It has a capacity of 6,912. That's just under a thousand less than Port Talbot Town.

I hope we get a good 2-0 win tomorrow but I wish Burton well over the season. It would be nice to see them as a proper Championship side.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I didn't realise how small the Pirelli is.

It has a capacity of 6,912. That's just under a thousand less than Port Talbot Town.

I hope we get a good 2-0 win tomorrow but I wish Burton well over the season. It would be nice to see them as a proper Championship side.
    I do agree with you,the smaller sides being able to stay up in the higher divisions.