+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ben Wilson to Oldham, a 'reliable journalist' says

Ben Wilson to Oldham, a 'reliable journalist' says

How freaky is this headline

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/re...dham-athletic/

RELIABLE JOURNALIST CONFIRMS CHAMPIONSHIP GOALKEEPER ON THE VERGE OF JOINING OLDHAM ATHLETIC

According to reliable journalist, Alan Nixon, Oldham Athletic are on the verge of signing Ben Wilson from Cardiff City, as John Sheridan looks to solve his side’s goalkeeping issue.

There are less than 48 hours remaining until the start of the Sky Bet League One season, and Oldham are without a senior goalkeeper, but Wilson’s pending arrival will solve that issue.

Wilson, 24, has made just four senior appearances for Cardiff since he joined them in 2014, but has spent time with AFC Wimbledon and Rochdale over the last two seasons.

The 24-year-old’s reported arrival will ease Sheridan’s fears heading into the new season, with Oldham yet to replace Connor Ripley ahead of the club’s opening day clash with Oxford United.

Ripley, who spent the 2016/17 campaign on-loan from Middlesbrough, featured in every League One fixture for Oldham last season, keeping 18 clean sheets in the league.

There had been reports suggesting that Oldham were keen for Ripley to return from Boro this summer, but Sheridan gave up in his pursuit to bring the goalkeeper back to Lancashire.

Nixon understands that Oldham are also keen to bring another goalkeeper to Boundary Park before the end of the summer.

The Latics had Leeds United’s Bailey Peacock-Farrell on trial earlier this summer, but opted against signing the 20-year-old on-loan.

The Verdict

This will give Oldham a huge boost heading into the new season, with Wilson having the potential to replicate the form Ripley showed last year.

Sheridan clearly still has work to do this summer, with Oldham’s squad still short of quality in certain areas.

Last season, Oldham’s defence and the goals of Lee Erwin helped them survive relegation, and that will be key again for the club heading into the new campaign.

Oldham fans… Let us know your thoughts!

Re: Ben Wilson to Oldham, a 'reliable journalist' says

Yep tissue a bit of an odd headline.
    Will be good to see the back of Wilson. Apart from being a very average goalie I was not impressed by his twitter rant while he was at Wimbledonm

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Will be good to see the back of Wilson. Apart from being a very average goalie I was not impressed by his twitter rant while he was at Wimbledonm
    I was led to believe he had gone to Carlisle.

He is actually a very decent lad who deeply regretted his actions.

I am guessing you have never done anything you may have thought better off afterwards ?

If the journalist is reliable he's not from these parts

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Feel a bit sorry for the lad actually.
    He was a very promising keeper who was loaned to Wimbledon and did very well. Some silly social media mistake ended that stint and he got his chance with City at the end of the Trollope reign when we were all over the shop defensively and couldn't buy a goal.

I believe he's had a few pre season games with different clubs and I'm sure someone will take him on.
    I wish him good luck in the rest of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Feel a bit sorry for the lad actually.
    He was a very promising keeper who was loaned to Wimbledon and did very well. Some silly social media mistake ended that stint and he got his chance with City at the end of the Trollope reign when we were all over the shop defensively and couldn't buy a goal.

I wish him good luck in the rest of his career.
    I know a few Wimbledon fans who were able to judge him solely on his performances and they weren't really up to standard. Good luck to him though.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Probably suits the player to be on loan financially short term. It's up to him to impress now

Yep, I've done many things I've regretted but I thought his twitter rant was really unpleasant and not something that could not be easily forgotten.