+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City 2017/18, and Neil Warnock

City 2017/18, and Neil Warnock

It's hard not to like Warnock, certainly in footballing terms. He talks just like a 'normal' bloke, says it as it is, and I'm prepared to guess that he's the sort of manager that most players would prefer to play for. Not surprisingly, not since Dave Jones have we had a manager who can 'get his man' a fair percentage of the time.

Last season -and to a certain extent the season before - felt a bit of a paradox to me. On the face of it, squads some way short of mid-table quality [especially season before last], but top half finishes and above several clubs with arguably better squads, on paper at least.

So I'm just wondering if the Championship [and presumably Div 1 & 2], differs from the Premiership in that there, the better teams with the better players invariably finish above the weaker ones, and how the players are organised and managed doesn't have that much impact ? Maybe the top players don't need the organizing etc that Championship players do ?

So what's Warnock's effect on the City ? I reckon the way he picks his transfer targets , ie knowing what type of player , in what position, doing what role, with what strengths, means he ends up with the material he wants to put his plans in place. I certainly think that gives him a 12-15 point start over most managers in the Championship. Last season he hadn't built his squad so maybe we were punching about 8-10 points above our weight - that would have put us about 16th, amongst QPR, Birmingham, Bristol City without Warnock. With the 'extra' effect of having his own squad, that would have put us in roughly 8th position, between Norwich & Derby.

In my opinion, the squad we have, with Warnock as Manager, is not going to get us into the play offs. However I have no doubt that when Christmas comes and City are comfortably above half way, he will be given the go ahead to bring in 2 or 3 more faces to get us over the line [into the play offs at least].

Here's hoping !!

Re: City 2017/18, and Neil Warnock

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's hard not to like Warnock, certainly in footballing terms. He talks just like a 'normal' bloke, says it as it is, and I'm prepared to guess that he's the sort of manager that most players would prefer to play for. Not surprisingly, not since Dave Jones have we had a manager who can 'get his man' a fair percentage of the time.

Last season -and to a certain extent the season before - felt a bit of a paradox to me. On the face of it, squads some way short of mid-table quality [especially season before last], but top half finishes and above several clubs with arguably better squads, on paper at least.

So I'm just wondering if the Championship [and presumably Div 1 & 2], differs from the Premiership in that there, the better teams with the better players invariably finish above the weaker ones, and how the players are organised and managed doesn't have that much impact ? Maybe the top players don't need the organizing etc that Championship players do ?

So what's Warnock's effect on the City ? I reckon the way he picks his transfer targets , ie knowing what type of player , in what position, doing what role, with what strengths, means he ends up with the material he wants to put his plans in place. I certainly think that gives him a 12-15 point start over most managers in the Championship. Last season he hadn't built his squad so maybe we were punching about 8-10 points above our weight - that would have put us about 16th, amongst QPR, Birmingham, Bristol City without Warnock. With the 'extra' effect of having his own squad, that would have put us in roughly 8th position, between Norwich & Derby.

In my opinion, the squad we have, with Warnock as Manager, is not going to get us into the play offs. However I have no doubt that when Christmas comes and City are comfortably above half way, he will be given the go ahead to bring in 2 or 3 more faces to get us over the line [into the play offs at least].

Here's hoping !!
    Cracking post.

Banned

Re: City 2017/18, and Neil Warnock

Old people are careful what they spend, that's a fact.
    Colin took 7 years to get sheffield promoted.
    Saying that, he's a great bloke who we are pinning our hopes on.