+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

Re: Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

A thanks to those who went and provided a summary of the game, it made interesting reading.

I remember going down the city for the first game against Huddersfield in our promotion year and after a very streaky win when Hudson scored said to my son who was with me that we were a million miles from a promotion winning side and we were.In fact, we didn't really get out act together until November if memory serves so the "we are not this or that yet" is more than a bit premature in my view.Also,what struck me yesterday was the ability of the manager to change the game with subs,something which has been missing for a while I think.Then you've got to look at the opposition.I don't think Burton are that bad a side and will take quite a few scalps at home this season especially as Noone could be joining them soon as I think if no one comes in to buy him he'll go there on loan as he was supposed to in January.So,all in all a positive result for us.

oops
    Last edited by sneggyblubird; 06-08-17 at 08:40. Reason: posted twice

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    The talk about players bedding in is nonsense as Tomlin was the only change in the outfield players from last season. It was the same city as last year. Gunarsson ran around and worked hard, but we just hit long ball after long ball. If it gets us promoted I will not complain, but we didn't look promotion material for 65 minutes. But what a difference when we brought on the subs. All of a sudden we had pace and Mendez and Damours introduction meant there was only going to be one side winning the match. I wish I could say the same about our new keeper though, but his kicking was bloody awful. Didn't have a save to make all day, but he hasn't filled me with any confidence at all. I hope he improves, but I think Lee Camp will be first choice once he's available. A winning start to the campaign but if we are to be pushing for promotion we will need to improve a hell of a lot on what we served up today.
    This. Tomlin was shit. There was very little quality on display. I thought we were marginally the better team but at the end it felt like a bit of a smash and grab. Watching the Villa Hull game right after was like watching a different league. Hopefully we will imropve.

Damour and NML made a big difference when they came on, NML especially ran directly at them. It was the first game of the season and we kept a clean sheet, they didn't even have a shot on target. Etheridge worries me, his kicking was absolutely woeful and he seemed reluctant to come off his line, Bamba absolutely rollicked him in the first half. Bamba was really pumped, probably too much and a few of the other senior players were trying to calm him down.

Other area of concern is centre midfield, namely Ralls and Gunnar. Gunnar is irreplaceable but Ralls doesn't really offer much apart from energy. His first two passes went into touch and I'm not sure if Damour is a centre mid as he came on as a 10. He did look decent though although we really were in the ascendancy by this point. Tomlin flits in and out of games and it was really scrappy for the first hour so I think we'll see better performances from him in the future.

Either way, it was 3 points well deserved, a great finish from Zohore and a clean sheet. I also thought Morrison was absolutely superb.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. Tomlin was shit. There was very little quality on display. I thought we were marginally the better team but at the end it felt like a bit of a smash and grab. Watching the Villa Hull game right after was like watching a different league. Hopefully we will imropve.
    I've only seen the goal but I thought there was something a bit dodgy about everyone saying Tomlin showed "a few nice touches".

I think they were just trying to be positive. Because usually that comment means they didn't play particularly play well!.

He could be quite average though and that'd be better than what we've seen going through the middle for a few years. Whittingham, Aron G and Ralls offered not much at all just behind the striker. Mutch was the last one that drove at defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I've only seen the goal but I thought there was something a bit dodgy about everyone saying Tomlin showed "a few nice touches".

I think they were just trying to be positive. Because usually that comment means they didn't play particularly play well!.

He could be quite average though and that'd be better than what we've seen going through the middle for a few years. Whittingham, Aron G and Ralls offered not much at all just behind the striker. Mutch was the last one that drove at defenders.
    He's a luxury player at times and the first hour was pretty attritional. Put a really nice through ball for Zohore in the first half which he should have at least worked the keeper but he will look better at teams who aren't so hell bent on defending. After all, Burton had 0 shots on target and left no space for most of the game. They were very compact.

Re: Tell me they can play better than that....please

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I didnt see the game but I think there is absolutely no point in reading much into performances now.

Just stay competitive and be in with a shot come the new year.
    Then after new year there'll be no point in reading much into performances as results will be the most important.

In fact, let's not read anything into performances whatsoever, just keep the results coming.

Re: Tell me they can play better than that....please

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Then after new year there'll be no point in reading much into performances as results will be the most important.

In fact, let's not read anything into performances whatsoever, just keep the results coming.
    To be fair, making a good start is more important. Performances matter in September and October etc, as you'll have an idea if you'll be able to keep it up. If you're still performing averagely 10 games in, you'll probably fall away.

I think the dispute over performance lays in my estimation in the fact that people are underestimating Burton.

I think games like Burton away are never easy and teams with better squads than us will struggle to roll them over.

Add to that it was the opening day of tue season and every fan in the country has a bit of optimism wondering what could be, there was no way Burton would just roll over.

It would be far easier to go there in February if they are in the bottom 3 and their confidence is shot.

I expect us to put in one or two convincing performances this season but i think most of them will be at home and i just didn't expect us to go to Burton on the opening day and blow them away.