+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

Re: Tell me they can play better than that....please

I didnt see the game but I think there is absolutely no point in reading much into performances now.

Just stay competitive and be in with a shot come the new year.

Remember what it was like under trollope in the first half the year last year?. And we didnt finish that far off the playoffs in the end.

Only team to win away today too, shows how hard it can be in this division even if the opposition were average at best

Re: FT: BURTON ALBION 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    We weren't amazing but we were clearly better than them. Our defence will make mistakes against better teams. Tomlin has the creative spark that can change a game but today it was the subs that made the difference. Mendez-Laing must have a get-to-the-ball-first clause in his contract because he wants it more than anyone else on the pitch. Great effort by him. Zohore will play for PSG one day.
    Good 3 points and a solid start to the season, however, I must admit to being disappointed when I saw the team sheet.
    Playing a side favourite for relaxation, their number one striker injured, yet we spent most of the summer chasing a partner for Zohore and then left him on the bench.
    Selection today was too safe and we will be tested far more against Villa.
    If Zohore is to have a great season he needs a partner. Tomlinson is more of a midfield creator so for me Hoilett would be the bench player.

Just back from the pub in a great mood. Only Championship club to win away. Seen the goal (great goal) and then I read this. FFS!!!!

Burton doomed as well with 45 to go!!!!!!!

Clean sheet , 3 points away from home surely everyone should be happy.

We will probably play an awful lot better than we did this afternoon and come away with nothing. We will also probably play an awful lot worse and grab 3 points. That's what often happens in football.

I have only seen the brief highlights of the game today but seemed some decent football and a cracking goal by Zohore.

I'm very happy with three points from the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Just back from the pub in a great mood. Only Championship club to win away. Seen the goal (great goal) and then I read this. FFS!!!!

Burton doomed as well with 45 to go!!!!!!!

Clean sheet , 3 points away from home surely everyone should be happy.
    Was having a Jimmy at half time and the guy next to me was bemoaning , the game , the team , the forwards , the lack of goals. We were doomed tonmid table obscurity . I asked him if he was being serious , the season was 45 minutes old and he had given up on us already , he couldn't see the quality in Zohore for a goal ? Some fxcking people .. Tomlin needs a bit of time to settle in , Mendez made all the difference when he came on gave 110% tackled everything and opened up Burton a couple of times bursting through,the wee French guy had some nice touches , Gunnerson was very tidy in midfield ( him and Zohore have always been favourites of mine 😀) Defence looked generally solid .
    Great away performance , great result , came away smiling , been looking forward to the new season today didn't disappoint . The championship is a great league , every side is capable of beaten every other side .
    We can build on today of that Inam sure . Oh yeah and £50 on Cardiff at 17/10 ..happy days ..

jimmy the voice of sense and reason yet again

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Was having a Jimmy at half time and the guy next to me was bemoaning , the game , the team , the forwards , the lack of goals. We were doomed tonmid table obscurity . I asked him if he was being serious , the season was 45 minutes old and he had given up on us already , he couldn't see the quality in Zohore for a goal ? Some fxcking people .. Tomlin needs a bit of time to settle in , Mendez made all the difference when he came on gave 110% tackled everything and opened up Burton a couple of times bursting through,the wee French guy had some nice touches , Gunnerson was very tidy in midfield ( him and Zohore have always been favourites of mine 😀) Defence looked generally solid .
    Great away performance , great result , came away smiling , been looking forward to the new season today didn't disappoint . The championship is a great league , every side is capable of beaten every other side .
    We can build on today of that Inam sure . Oh yeah and £50 on Cardiff at 17/10 ..happy days ..
    That all sounds spot on to me Jim.
    Also like to point out that defensively we never gave them a sniff.
    Personally though Morrison was particularly effective. Bamba looked a little lost as left centre half though and I'm not sure that line up will work with 3 allout centre halfs playing together. May work better with a Connolly or Halford in there

It was a tough first game with players getting used to each other's style. NW pulled off the master stroke with his substitutions and we looked far better going forward in the second half. Half and post half time entertainment was interesting.....shame our penalty shoot out winner got kicked out! Still....three points hard earned. Enjoyed the terraces and the goal celebrations. Not that bothered what happens v Pompey so long as players get more game time together. Looking forward to Villa and Sheffield United. Onward and upward.

Re: Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

Always nice to kick off with an away win
    I wasn't there myself (listened on radio wales" so cant give a true analysis)
    but it sounded we were pretty comfortable the subs made a huge difference
    it sounded the 2nd half we was all over them
    but its the first game of 46
    3 points and a clean sheet
    is a great start

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    Always nice to kick off with an away win
    I wasn't there myself (listened on radio wales" so cant give a true analysis)
    but it sounded we were pretty comfortable the subs made a huge difference
    it sounded the 2nd half we was all over them
    but its the first game of 46
    3 points and a clean sheet
    is a great start
    Great post

Cracking finish. Although would rather zohore stuck to tap ins until after the transfer window is closed

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Cracking finish. Although would rather zohore stuck to tap ins until after the transfer window is closed
    My thoughts too when I saw the finish...

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    50 mill though

Just got back.....a good Championship-style win, that in previous seasons we would have drawn or even lost.

Despite a non-descript first half, there were lots of positives despite playing against a pretty poor team. Defensively we were very sound and for 15 mins in the second half threatened to overrun BA. Warnock switching to 4-4-2 effectively changed the game. Mendez-Laing was excellent when he came on, and no one had a poor game.

My only concerns are that we continued to just hoof it long and played very little football to the point that Tomlin was quite anonymous but only because he was continually bypassed which is a shame as he came definitely make things happen. He looked frustrated and was eventually taken off, but he will be a good addition over the course of the season. As a result we continued to concede possession having worked hard to win the ball and better teams than BA will take advantage of this.

Also, we clearly have no plans to play from the back - again, the keeper kicked everything long and for some reason to Peltier or into touch...... :-0

So an excellent start.

PS I hope that the refs this season are better than the idiot in black today.

Some of that is true (possession, not playing from the back etc.) but it is also a bit harsh.

We eventually dominated an admittedly poor team and ground out a win which is not easy in the first game of a season.

What could our season end up looking like as it progresses towards Christmas and beyond?

Relegation threatened: 3 points away, and a clean sheet, on the opening day would be a positive

Midtable: 3 points away from home with good goal late on is an important and fun win

Promotion possible season: 3 points away from home and a clean sheet is an important result.

The talk about players bedding in is nonsense as Tomlin was the only change in the outfield players from last season. It was the same city as last year. Gunarsson ran around and worked hard, but we just hit long ball after long ball. If it gets us promoted I will not complain, but we didn't look promotion material for 65 minutes. But what a difference when we brought on the subs. All of a sudden we had pace and Mendez and Damours introduction meant there was only going to be one side winning the match. I wish I could say the same about our new keeper though, but his kicking was bloody awful. Didn't have a save to make all day, but he hasn't filled me with any confidence at all. I hope he improves, but I think Lee Camp will be first choice once he's available. A winning start to the campaign but if we are to be pushing for promotion we will need to improve a hell of a lot on what we served up today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    jimmy the voice of sense and reason yet again
    He's not just a pretty face.

Damour did well. Mendez-Laing really caught the eye though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    The talk about players bedding in is nonsense as Tomlin was the only change in the outfield players from last season. It was the same city as last year. Gunarsson ran around and worked hard, but we just hit long ball after long ball. If it gets us promoted I will not complain, but we didn't look promotion material for 65 minutes. But what a difference when we brought on the subs. All of a sudden we had pace and Mendez and Damours introduction meant there was only going to be one side winning the match. I wish I could say the same about our new keeper though, but his kicking was bloody awful. Didn't have a save to make all day, but he hasn't filled me with any confidence at all. I hope he improves, but I think Lee Camp will be first choice once he's available. A winning start to the campaign but if we are to be pushing for promotion we will need to improve a hell of a lot on what we served up today.
    Agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Utter drivel in both your posts. Do you really think that any team in this division is going to roll over and give us the 3 points ?. There are no easy away games in this division, as I am sure you are aware. You first have to work hard and stop the opposition playing before you can expand the game and take the win and thats exactly what we did. The game plan worked to a tee and Warnock needs to be given credit for that, not critiscism. From what I saw/heard Tomlin and Hoilett played well. If you are going to be that critical and pessimistic after only one game then whats the point of following the club in the first place. Makes me think that you actually wanted us to lose and are upset because we won.
    Tomlin and Hoilett didn't play well. They did OK but there has to be a reason for Colin to have taken them off. And thankfully the tactical change worked.

Oh of f*cks sake.
    Post this again in 6 weeks, if still relevant we'll mostly all agree.