+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

Burton 0 - 1 Cardiff City. Post match discussion

Brilliant result, even better because we had to dig deep and put in a proper champion style performance. Great start.

Re: BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Wrong again !. City were obviously all over them in the last 10 minutes - you cant have been watching or listening properly. Only going to end one way.
    I was listening but from the commentary it sounded as if we weren't quite gelling. Good to hear it was better than that!

Banned

Re: FT: BURTON ALBION 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. MATCH THREAD

Nice to see a match fred with more than 20 replies

Tell me they can play better than that....please

Don't get me wrong - 3 points on the season opener away from home is always a great start.

But the opposition was really awful and to me already look doomed.

City had no control in possession, nothing that showed they knew how to go about winning the game once they saw what Burton had to offer - which was nothing. Instead they allowed themselves to get drawn into a free for all in which a strike that won the game could have come from either side. Unable to build sustained pressure for more than a minute or two.

Have to change the strategy from goalkeeper's possession - against teams with little to offer it must come short to defenders and build form the back. Instead 20 players moved into the same third of the pitch for the goalie to kick it long creating a lottery for possession. Reminded me of the old Third Division South days.

No creativity, no leader. No wonder NW was so keen to hang on to Zohore.

It can only get better.

Re: Tell me they can play better than that....please

So are you saying we are turd or third

I thought we were by far the better team but Burton were very low on quality.

Zohore was unlucky not to have at least another goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Don't get me wrong - 3 points on the season opener away from home is always a great start.

City had no control in possession, nothing that showed they knew how to go about winning the game once they saw what Burton had to offer - which was nothing. Instead they allowed themselves to get drawn into a free for all in which a strike that won the game could have come from either side. Unable to build sustained pressure for more than a minute or two.

Have to change the strategy from goalkeeper's possession - against teams with little to offer it must come short to defenders and build form the back. Instead 20 players moved into the same third of the pitch for the goalie to kick it long creating a lottery for possession. Reminded me of the old Third Division South days.

It can only get better.
    First game of the season is always disjointed as the players start to understand each others games under competitive match conditions. It sounded to me as if NM-L and Loic Damour played well when they came on, along with Tomlin - was that how it looked on the iFollow feed?

It was always gonna be like that mate. We're not Fulham. We are expected to play with pace on the break against teams who are better than us and hopefully grind out wins against the bottom sides.

How did Damour do when he came on?

Wow , I thought I was a hard critic , plenty to admire the last 20 mins

I thought we were quite good and dominated agsainst a team who just sat back for the 0-0

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    So are you saying we are turd or third
    As I say I'm as pleased as anyone with 3 points but it seemed no one could see what the game needed to break down the 10 man defence. Slow build up, stretch it wide, keep it on the floor, get around the back of them.

Hoilett was predictably poor. Ralls and Gunnar had their hands full in midfield and sadly, Thomlin didn't dominate as we expected. Was there a need to play Peltier when Burton were offering so little?

Lots to put right and I trust NW to tweak it the right way.

Maybe it was the opposition just pulled them down to their level; lots if new faces so they'll need a few games together

From the little i could gather from the commentary, there was a lot to admire and build on.
    3 points... confidence and quality will follow no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I thought we were by far the better team but Burton were very low on quality.

Zohore was unlucky not to have at least another goal.
    It seemed very positive when the subs came on, seemed take the game to a quicker urgency.

It's about the result rather than the performance on the first day. Players still working on their touch and fitness, new players bedding in.etc
    Either way we are not going to be zipping the ball about, getting it out wide and in behind them as you wish for. Not under Warnock anyway. He's 68 years old and been a manager a long time. He ain't going to change philosophy now.

As I say I'm as pleased as anyone with 3 points but it seemed no one could see what the game needed to break down the 10 man defence. Slow build up, stretch it wide, keep it on the floor, get around the back of them.

Hoilett was predictably poor. Ralls and Gunnar had their hands full in midfield and sadly, Thomlin didn't dominate as we expected. Was there a need to play Peltier when Burton were offering so little?

Lots to put right and I trust NW to tweak it the right way.

Maybe it was the opposition just pulled them down to their level; lots if new faces so they'll need a few games together
    Utter drivel in both your posts. Do you really think that any team in this division is going to roll over and give us the 3 points ?. There are no easy away games in this division, as I am sure you are aware. You first have to work hard and stop the opposition playing before you can expand the game and take the win and thats exactly what we did. The game plan worked to a tee and Warnock needs to be given credit for that, not critiscism. From what I saw/heard Tomlin and Hoilett played well. If you are going to be that critical and pessimistic after only one game then whats the point of following the club in the first place. Makes me think that you actually wanted us to lose and are upset because we won.

We weren't amazing but we were clearly better than them. Our defence will make mistakes against better teams. Tomlin has the creative spark that can change a game but today it was the subs that made the difference. Mendez-Laing must have a get-to-the-ball-first clause in his contract because he wants it more than anyone else on the pitch. Great effort by him. Zohore will play for PSG one day.

Utter drivel in both your posts. Do you really think that any team in this division is going to roll over and give us the 3 points ?. There are no easy away games in this division, as I am sure you are aware. You first have to work hard and stop the opposition playing before you can expand the game and take the win and thats exactly what we did. The game plan worked to a tee and Warnock needs to be given credit for that, not critiscism. From what I saw/heard Tomlin and Hoilett played well. If you are going to be that critical and pessimistic after only one game then whats the point of following the club in the first place. Makes me think that you actually wanted us to lose and are upset because we won.
    Agree. There's no pleasing some moaning gits.

I watched in iFollow and Tomlin did find it hard to get into the game. Some lovely touches, but it was a midfield slog and City looked much better balanced when Damour came on to join Gunnarsson & Ralls. Hoilett wan't poor, but he was guilty of not playing the easy pass and losing possession in advanced areas more than once. Mendez-Laing is going to be a star if he can find his shooting boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Great strike for the lad and off to a flyer

First game of the season, away, a number of new players?
    Without having seen the game, I'd say yeah, I'm sure they will play better.
    But where many of us would've taken a draw, we have to be pleased with an away win.

Only listened to the game, the action suggested that we were well worth the win, i'm currently watching a very disappointing game, Villa v Hull who I would think are two of the favs for the division, will take a few games for teams to get into their stride, picking up points during this time will bode well for the remainder of the season.

It can only get better.
    FFS I dread to think what your reaction would've been if we'd lost. I bet you're a scream at parties.

A win is a win and three points on the first game of the season will have a huge effect on player morale.

Now pop off to wallow in your miserable existence until we play again next weekend. If you're really lucky we might lose that one!

First 60 minutes or so were a real battle. Seemed that once we'd made the subs there was only going to be one winner and IMHO the goal was fully deserved.

Job done, but I'd say more than o come.

Tougher tests to come but nothing to worry about yet