+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gatlin and booing

Gatlin and booing

The sprinter banned twice for taking drugs - booed before the 100m last night (and before he beat the fan's favourite, Bolt) and after he won - and a mixed reception tonight at the medal ceremony

Some say he has served his time and has been officially allowed back, so it's business as usual. But I find it offensive - and when the American anthem was played, the nation was tarnished.

My feeling is dominated because he cheated TWICE and was clearly not remorseful and sorry for his first transgression.

If I had been there, I would have booed him.

Re: Gatlin and booing

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The sprinter banned twice for taking drugs - booed before the 100m last night (and before he beat the fan's favourite, Bolt) and after he won - and a mixed reception tonight at the medal ceremony

Some say he has served his time and has been officially allowed back, so it's business as usual. But I find it offensive - and when the American anthem was played, the nation was tarnished.

My feeling is dominated because he cheated TWICE and was clearly not remorseful and sorry for his first transgression.

Haven't heard anything from Coe on this. I thought he was going to revolutionise athletics, can only assume that he didn't have any pull at the time of Gatlin' s reinstatement?

I remember Ron Pickering being hugely vocal on the doping subject many years ago and I can't understand why these cheats are not just banned for life when they are rumbled

I loved the athletics back in the 80's but have little interest these days. You always wonder when they have won whether they have done so fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Haven't heard anything from Coe on this. I thought he was going to revolutionise athletics, can only assume that he didn't have any pull at the time of Gatlin' s reinstatement?

I remember Ron Pickering being hugely vocal on the doping subject many years ago and I can't understand why these cheats are not just banned for life when they are rumbled

I loved the athletics back in the 80's but have little interest these days. You always wonder when they have won whether they have done so fairly.
    Coe (His Lordness) was on radio 5 talking about this he suggested that legal legislation outside of athletics are a problem when trying to apply lifetime bans , he felt it was perhaps not good to boo Gatlin tonight in the medal ceromny.

He then left in his horse and carriage .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Apparently, the first ban was overturned as "he had been using that 'substance' since his early teens" WTF?

The problem with athletics is that basically they're all taking some form of performance enhancing drugs.

Some avoid detection and get away with it, some don't.

Some stay one step ahead of the testers by taking new substances that can't be traced - by the time the authorities figure out what they are and get them on the list of banned substances, a new substance is already being used.

Truth is, the sport is dying on its arse because people know it's crooked.

Best thing they can do is just legalise it all and let some doped up American compete against a cheetah and a Ford Focus.