+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pompey - Help in need of a few centre backs!

Pompey - Help in need of a few centre backs!

Have been trying to come up with a starting 11 that consists of 11 changes from our opening game starting line up for our cup tie tomorrow against Pompey. However i'm a tad short of defensive options!

Ward - up top
    Pilkington - number 10 role

John - LM
    O'keefe - CM
    Damour - CM
    Noone - RM

Richards - LB
    Connally - Injured ??
    A N Other
    Coxe - RB

Murphy - GK

Personally, with Villa up on Saturday, I think this sort of line up won't be far away from reality in Warnock's mind.

Re: Pompey - Help in need of a few centre backs!

Any of the kids ready for a go?

Kennedy ahead of noone, unless the Pompey game is a shop window

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Have been trying to come up with a starting 11 that consists of 11 changes from our opening game starting line up for our cup tie tomorrow against Pompey. However i'm a tad short of defensive options!

Ward - up top
    Pilkington - number 10 role

John - LM
    O'keefe - CM
    Damour - CM
    Noone - RM

Richards - LB
    Connally - Injured ??
    A N Other
    Coxe - RB

Murphy - GK

Personally, with Villa up on Saturday, I think this sort of line up won't be far away from reality in Warnock's mind.
    I've never seen Connolly spelt like that! The Zohore "A" is creeping into Connolly now. Jokes aside, NML will play and I think Manga might play as his first choice pairing is Morrison and Bamba; and we looked a much better side with a flat back 4 on Saturday.

I forgot Kennedy, definitely in for Noone as he got much more pre season mins under his belt. I also forgot Halford so he can occupy one of the centre back slots so almost there now!

Murphy

Richards Bruno Connolly John

Pilkington O'Keefe Damour Mendez

M Harris

Ward

Subs:
    Etheridge, Morrison, Halford, Hoilett, Noone, Kennedy, Fred

I think Connolly is still injured. So:

Murphy:Richards, Manga, Halford, John: Mendez-Laing, O'Keefe, Damour, Noone; Pilkington, Ward.

Or he could just play the first team?

Mark Harris and Ibrahim Meite may make an appearance

Could Sion Spence be in line for his debut? He would have played at Huddersfield if it weren't for insurance issues

I'd play strong eleven with defence as close to Villa except for the keeper , we need momentum (not the political kind)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Mark Harris and Ibrahim Meite may make an appearance

Could Sion Spence be in line for his debut? He would have played at Huddersfield if it weren't for insurance issues
    Bench at best for those two. I was curious about those "insurance issues", can't for the life of me see what they were.

Murphy

Richards Bruno Halford John

Kennedy O'Keefe Damour Mendez

Pilkington

Ward

Subs:
    Etheridge, Coxe, Meite, Spence, Noone, M Harris, Tomlin

Tomlin on simply as he needs game time having missed parts of pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd play strong eleven with defence as close to Villa except for the keeper , we need momentum (not the political kind)
    Agreed. I know we're not going to play a full strength team but I hope it's not going to be like the awful Fulham cup match last season. I'm a big believer in creating a winning feeling around the club so I hope a puts a strong team out for the fans that turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Bench at best for those two. I was curious about those "insurance issues", can't for the life of me see what they were.

Murphy

Richards Bruno Halford John

Kennedy O'Keefe Damour Mendez

Pilkington

Ward

Subs:
    Etheridge, Coxe, Meite, Spence, Noone, M Harris, Tomlin

Tomlin on simply as he needs game time having missed parts of pre-season.
    He started the season in the Under 18s didn't he? So he was only insured for youth team football

Banned

Cardiff must have 5 of the team who played against Burton in the starting line-up against Portsmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Cardiff must have 5 of the team who played against Burton in the starting line-up against Portsmouth.
    Is that right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is that right?
    EFL full strength policy.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-compet...--regulations/

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I don't really agree with that at all. Who are the league to say who plays and who doesn't? If the incentive was right, most clubs would be playing near full strength sides. The winners get £100k for this competition, I mean come on - that's a monthly salary for a higher end Championship player nowadays.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I don't really agree with that at all. Who are the league to say who plays and who doesn't? If the incentive was right, most clubs would be playing near full strength sides. The winners get £100k for this competition, I mean come on - that's a monthly salary for a higher end Championship player nowadays.
    It's not just the cup games it also relates to teams heavily rotating their starting XI, as Huddersfield did towards the end of the 2016/17 campaign when they were assured of a play-off place and made 10 changes against relegation-threatened Birmingham, who won the match and avoided the drop by two points.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He started the season in the Under 18s didn't he? So he was only insured for youth team football
    Plenty of clubs have loaded u18 players in senior matches; hell Palace had Bostock playing first team football at 15. We didn't have any insurance problems playing Rambo either.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Plenty of clubs have loaded u18 players in senior matches; hell Palace had Bostock playing first team football at 15. We didn't have any insurance problems playing Rambo either.
    The club had a shirt printed for him and were about to put him in the squad so I doubt they made up the excuse, probably just an admin error

He was on the bench, I think they probably made a last minute decision to include him and realised their mistake. I doubt he was going to come on anyway so it was still a good experience for Sion to be part of the first team set up.