+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: Cardiff City 2 - 1 Portsmouth. AET. Match thread

FT: Cardiff City 2 - 1 Portsmouth. AET. Match thread

Re: Cardiff City v Portsmouth. Pre match thread

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rabao-13440683

Neil Warnock may have his sights firmly locked on a promotion charge with Cardiff City this season, but the manager wants to compete on multiple fronts.

Because while last season saw the Bluebirds dumped out of both cup competitions at the opening stage, Warnock — now with a newly-expanded squad — isn't prepared to lose focus in the same way.

He wants Cardiff to gather valuable momentum, generated by the 1-0 victory over Burton Albion on Saturday, secured by a morale-boosting late goal from Kenneth Zohore.

And though Tuesday night's Carabao Cup match against Portsmouth will see Warnock shuffle his pack somewhat, it provides a chance for those fringe players to press their case for more regular inclusion.

That's especially true in the case of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Loic Damour and Danny Ward; the three new signings whose impact off the bench at Burton drew praise from the boss.

All three could make their first competitive starts for the Bluebirds against League One Pompey in the cup tie. All three could feasibly merit first team inclusion against Aston Villa on Saturday given their displays at the Pirelli Stadium.

"I'm going to play some other lads," admitted Warnock. "I'll definitely play Murph (Brian Murphy) and one or two others, probably Mendez."

The manager's desire to rotate his squad is understandable of course, given that the mouth-watering league clash with Villa lies just around the corner.

With that in mind, the likes of Zohore, Aron Gunnarsson and Sol Bamba may well be rested. The young Danish striker has a battle with Villa captain John Terry to prepare for, let's not forget. Gunnarsson will be tested against Glenn Whelan, Bamba against Scott Hogan and Gabriel Agbonlahor.

But while last season's mediocrity was illustrated by limp defeats to Bristol Rovers and Fulham in the cups, Warnock knows the value of a cup run.

He gained notoriety with Sheffield United on a sparkling streak to the FA Cup semi-finals in 2003. The Blades were sunk by Arsenal in a controversial encounter that year, but Warnock's side continued their meteoric rise with promotion to the Premier League three years later.

This time around, he's given himself a year to propel Cardiff in the same direction. Which is why he won't lie down against Pompey.

"I want to get through that (game against Porstmouth) if I can," added Warnock. "I don't see why we can't have a run in the cup."

The manager joked that his assistant (Kevin Blackwell) was demanding a full strength side. But Warnock, forever the pragmatist, will pick and chose carefully. Following Kadeem Harris' three-month lay-off, the Bluebirds can ill-afford more injury problems at this early stage of the season.

Promotion-chasing sides like Villa, who boast an expensively-assembled squad, blessed with depth, will deal with the rigour of the season. The Bluebirds are less well-stocked but nonetheless will ask their hungry players, starved of first-team football, to step up on Tuesday night.

"Blacky wants me to play the full team! He wants to win everything, "joked Warnock.

"But we've got to be a bit careful if I'm honest.

"Young (Matty) Kennedy has done very well in pre-season and I was disappointed that he had to miss out (at Burton). I said to him 'you've done brilliant'. He's in front of Craig (Noone) at the moment so I will probably play Kennedy on Tuesday.

"I'll probably play Stuart O'Keefe, I've already spoken to him about the game.

"So let's have a look at some of these other lads.

"But it's a great habit, winning, and we really want to give it a go."

Can someone ask Pompey what time kick off is?

No Mickey Mouse jokes yet?

Please please please can we put the eager kids out and avoid the PATHETIC performance similar to what we showed against Fulham last season.

There's a few players that I would love to see given the chance and with transfer prices the way they are we can only invest in our academy who the starts will ultimately get poached but we have little option.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Please please please can we put the eager kids out and avoid the PATHETIC performance similar to what we showed against Fulham last season.

There's a few players that I would love to see given the chance and with transfer prices the way they are we can only invest in our academy who the starts will ultimately get poached but we have little option.
    So you want to put out a team of 'eager kids' against an experienced League One side who want to put one over a higher league team and an old enemy. Undoubtedly a recipe for disaster and a hammering which would destroy any confidence the kids had in the first place and lead to a barrage of critiscism, worse than the Fulham game, from our army of 'armchair' fans. It could also dent the new found spirit our club has for the new season. Non starter for me. - play the strongest team possible, as NW says 'lets go for the win' whilst including Ward, Mendez-Laing, O'keefe, Damour and possibly Noone, who need the game time.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I still have nightmares about that fulham game.

Play the youngsters who will give it their all.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

You obviously weren't at the Maidstone game.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Too many youngsters in the same. Side and Portsmouth will brush us aside.

Didn't Mike post that at least 5 who played Sat have to start under new rules?
    I expect a decent side out tonite.

Re: Cardiff City v Portsmouth. Match thread

CARDIFF V PORTSMOUTH

Cardiff: Murphy, Halford, Manga, Morrison, Richards, O'Keefe, Damour, Tomlin, Kennedy, Pilkington, Ward.

Subs: Etheridge, Peltier, Ralls, Mendez-Laing, Meite, Hoilett, Coxe.

Portsmouth: McGee, Talbot, Burgess, Whatmough, Haunstrup, Rose, May, Evans, Naismith, Bennett, Pitman.

Subs: Bass, Davies, Close, Baker, Main, Chaplin, Kabamba.

So 3 starters from Burton game. I assume that 5 starters rule isn't set in stone!

Darmour and Ward came on so I assume that makes 5 who played?

0-1 Morrison OG

Warnock out!!

Morrison to Wednesday

Sounds awful

O.g. Was unfortunate for Morrison but we should never have been putting ourselves under pressure in our own third. Ward had one free header but despite lots of the ball we are not creating much. Kennedy looks up for it but I forgot Tomlin was playing.

Mendez-Laing on for 2nd half.

City just hit the bar. Tomlins free kick met by Manga I think. Promising start to 2nd half.

1-1 Mendez Laing

Mendez-Laing with an immediate impact, was similar at Burton

Warnock in

In NML, I think we have a player on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Mendez-Laing with an immediate impact, was similar at Burton
    Really looking forward to seeing him play on Saturday