+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Cardiff ever been a 'big club'?

Re: Has Cardiff ever been a 'big club'?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If you want to quote statistics how about you get them correct

As for restricted capacity at NP, thats got nothing to do with average crowds of 3500.
    The only thing I got wrong in my previous post was the date of our premier league season was 2013/2014 not 2012/2013 and for this I apologise most sincerely as I have obviously seriously offended you. However, all the other figures in my post are correct, proving that our games have been better attended than Portsmouths in comparable years in the recent past. Also you have deliberately ignored the rest of my post about attendances in the lower league levels, which explains why I think our gates were so low, so I am not going through all that again.

They've never been run properly from the Boardroom and/or the team management side to step up and stay in the top league since I've supported them over fifty years.Still believe they could be big if they both got there act together.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    No, I didnt get the wrong season, mush, I got the wrong date. It should have been 2013/2014 when our average attendance in the Prem was over 27000, whereas Portsmouths last average attendance in the Prem in 2009/2010 was 18249. The fact remains however that our average attendances in the Prem and then the Championship in the year after relegation were higher than Portsmouth's, which is the point I was trying to make.
    You didn't realise that the ground capacity at Fratton Park was limited by H&S even when they were in the Premiership? It was nigh on impossible to get seats then, mush. To compare Pompey's Premiership attendances with Cardiff's is frankly ridiculous for that reason. Get yer facts right...

When Pompey were relegated, the max crowd size would have been about 18,000 - so sold out most games. Cardiff averaged under 21,000 - big gaps!

[QUOTE=Cyclops;4766693]You didn't realise that the ground capacity at Fratton Park was limited by H&S even when they were in the Premiership? It was nigh on impossible to get seats then, mush. To compare Pompey's Premiership attendances with Cardiff's is frankly ridiculous for that reason. Get yer facts right...

When Pompey were relegated, the max crowd size would have been about 18,000 - so sold out most games. Cardiff averaged under 21,000 - big gaps![/QUOTE

The year after Portsmouth were relegated from prem (2010/2011) their average attendance was 15700 and their stated capacity was 20200 giving an occupation rate of 76%. The year after city were relegated from Prem (2014/2015) our occupation rate was also 76% (20945 average, 27850 capacity). In the Prem Portsmouth averaged 18249 giving an occupation rate of 91% and Cardiif averaged 27432 giving an occupation rate of 98%. These figures prove I am afraid that Cardiff were better supported in comparable recent seasons in the Prem and Championship. I appreciate that you are a Portsmouth fan and i am not saying that in the past Portsmouth have not been bigger/better suported, nor that they will be again in future but at the moment the evidence is that they are not.

I suggest you read this, written in August 2015:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...ements-update/

The salient point:"Once complete a new application to further increase capacity will be made. The current capacity stands at 18,524, up from 18,204 last season"

And I'll add this - Pompey brought 750 fans last night. Cardiff fans numbered 5,842. How many Cardiff fans would have travelled to the South Coast? Now tell me who is better supported...

little club playing a glamour tie away

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    little club playing a glamour tie away

Damn troll....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I suggest you read this, written in August 2015:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...ements-update/

The salient point:"Once complete a new application to further increase capacity will be made. The current capacity stands at 18,524, up from 18,204 last season"

And I'll add this - Pompey brought 750 fans last night. Cardiff fans numbered 5,842. How many Cardiff fans would have travelled to the South Coast? Now tell me who is better supported...
    When we were a crappy fourth division outfit in 1990 we took 800 to fratton park on a Tuesday night

We got stuffed

But to answer the question Pompey are and always will be a bigger club than us

On the promotion season when we both got promoted we took more to fratton park than they brought to NP

I love all these comments about being a big club - if we had had 30 years plus continuously in the 1st Div/Prem - imagine what our support and stadium capacity would be now - as it happens we've spent more time in the lower leagues over the 40 odd years I've supported City... get real

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I love all these comments about being a big club - if we had had 30 years plus continuously in the 1st Div/Prem - imagine what our support and stadium capacity would be now - as it happens we've spent more time in the lower leagues over the 40 odd years I've supported City... get real
    I never said we were a 'big club', just potentially so and currently bigger than either Hull or Portsmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I may be wrong here but wasn't that tier built for the European Super Cup and wasn't it partially funded by UEFA? I am sure that I read that somewhere and have always been a little confused by those who slag off Tan for building it,calling it his "folly".
    You're wrong here.

I never said we were a 'big club', just potentially so and currently bigger than either Hull or Portsmouth.
    I think we are a bigger club than Portsmouth. They have had much more success than us in recent years and were a well established Premiership club.

Pompey, historically, have always had large traveling support though.
    That said,so did we until the authorities started handing out banning orders.

The Cup game in 1990 whereby we frequented the Milton Arms was testament to that. As Sludge said, we took over 800 and the home fans were in amazement at the time.

How are we currently a bigger club than Hull exactly?
    They've spent 5 of the last 9 seasons in the Premier League and currently have better attendances?

[QUOTE=J R Hartley;4766815]How are we currently a bigger club than Hull exactly?
    They've spent 5 of the last 9 seasons in the Premier League and currently have better attendances?[/QUOTE

Neither of us has played any home league games this season, so how can you say currently they have better attendances. Last season they were in the premier league, so their attendances were obviously higher than us then. Their average attendance last season was 20761 and their ground capacity is 25400 (82% occupation). Our average attendance in the prem in 2013/2014 was 27432 against a capacity of 27850 (98% occupation). Our ground is larger than theirs by 7880 currently. We have a larger catchment area and fan base. Prior to 2009 they had never been in the top division and they have never won the FA cup. We were established before them in 1899. I could go on but have a feeling that you would disagree and appear to like causing arguments in an empty room.

[QUOTE=dml1954;4767039]
    Their average attendance last season was 20761 and their ground capacity is 25400 (82% occupation). Our average attendance in the prem in 2013/2014 was 27432 against a capacity of 27850 (98% occupation). Our ground is larger than theirs by 7880 currently. .
    So 27,850 - 25,400 = 7,880?

[QUOTE=dml1954;4767039]
    How are we currently a bigger club than Hull exactly?
    They've spent 5 of the last 9 seasons in the Premier League and currently have better attendances?[/QUOTE

Neither of us has played any home league games this season, so how can you say currently they have better attendances. Last season they were in the premier league, so their attendances were obviously higher than us then. Their average attendance last season was 20761 and their ground capacity is 25400 (82% occupation). Our average attendance in the prem in 2013/2014 was 27432 against a capacity of 27850 (98% occupation). Our ground is larger than theirs by 7880 currently. We have a larger catchment area and fan base. Prior to 2009 they had never been in the top division and they have never won the FA cup. We were established before them in 1899. I could go on but have a feeling that you would disagree and appear to like causing arguments in an empty room.
    You say "currently" then bring up points from 85 and 118 years ago

[QUOTE=Cyclops;4767042]

He's reffering to the white elephant that is the top tier in the Ninian. The stand which we cannot afford to open, and dont need to open.

However, this will come back to bite him on the bottom when he uses his occupation percentages.

[QUOTE=J R Hartley;4767058]

He's reffering to the white elephant that is the top tier in the Ninian. The stand which we cannot afford to open, and dont need to open.
    However, this will come back to bite him on the bottom when he uses his occupation percentages.
    No kidding!
    I was taking him at face value. Are you suggesting he changed the goalposts within two sentences?
    Blimey!

[QUOTE=Cyclops;4767072]

No kidding!
    I was taking him at face value. Are you suggesting he changed the goalposts within two sentences?
    Blimey!
    Hes moved the goalposts that much we are playing at Ninian Park again!!!

[QUOTE=J R Hartley;4767079]

Hes moved the goalposts that much we are playing at Ninian Park again!!!

.....and using jumpers!

Banned

On many occasions, most supporters would know that.

[QUOTE=Cyclops;4767042]

You didnt know that the ground of the team you say you support was extended in 2014 to hold 33280 !!.

[QUOTE=dml1954;4767197]
    You didnt know that the ground of the team you say you support was extended in 2014 to hold 33280 !!.
    Yeah, right !

[QUOTE=Cyclops;4767083]

.....and using jumpers!
    You and Hartley are a pair of wags aren't you !!. Just because you are losing an argument you act like a pair of kids (which you could well be for all I know) and use your unrivalled wit and sarcasm (not) to try to belittle someone. Well carry on, you are just making yourselves look even more stupid.