+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Ledley

Re: Joe Ledley

I was keen to have Ledders back when it was first bandied about. Not so sure now -
    I'd take no player if they see themselves as be 'the big I am' on suitably inflated wages.
    Not expecting the lad to get seen off by any club, least of all ours, but if it's all about money - f*ck it.
    Either he wants to 'come home' to his club & home town, or he doesn't.

In the meantime, I'm sure we will manage, and we move on. And he doesn't seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I was keen to have Ledders back when it was first bandied about. Not so sure now -
    I'd take no player if they see themselves as be 'the big I am' on suitably inflated wages.
    Not expecting the lad to get seen off by any club, least of all ours, but if it's all about money - f*ck it.
    Either he wants to 'come home' to his club & home town, or he doesn't.

In the meantime, I'm sure we will manage, and we move on. And he doesn't seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Just what we need - an over 30 midfielder whose legs are going, is injury prone and who left us stating he wanted to play in the premier league but signed for a club, presumably for the money, in a one horse second rate league in Scotland.
    He's 30, that's hardly old is it! In that time he's got 400 + club games and 70+ caps. I have no idea why anyone would say his legs have gone. Have you ever seen him play for Wales? He's got a a great engine on him, he would still have loads to offer a Championship club. I'd love him back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Greed might have something to do with it. At his age he is not much of a catch so needs to be realistic about the amount he can earn.
    Why is it greed to try and maximise your earning potential in what is a very short career?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Why is it greed to try and maximise your earning potential in what is a very short career?
    If Ledley is as good as he and others think why hasn't he been snapped up? It can only be wages. It would appear he and/or his agent have an inflated opinion of his ability and the amount of money he can command.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    He was a decent, tidy player for us at this level but can't remember games where he really bossed midfield. Granted he's probably more of an underrated player who enables others to play better, like Mark Bonner did many years ago but even so...

Would I want Ledley back over Damour, Ralls? Not really; we've only a finite amount of money, I'd rather address other areas of the squad.
    Rubbish. He was the best player in the midfield every game practically. You really missed him when he was gone. Whether it was his powerful running on the left or later, his energy in the middle, he was one of our best players. Ledley is a much better player than Ralls and Damour is an unknown quantity. Ledley and Gunnar gives you a base to play a 10 and 2 wingers. Also, if Gunnar gets injured, we have to play Halford to give us some bite. If Joe is available for about 10-15k a week, yes please.

It's not greed IMO, but there may be an element of 'trying' it on. Ultimately, the fans pay through the nose, or the player gets passed over until the demands are reduced. May not be a club that truly suits the player.
    But hey ho.

If Ledley is as good as he and others think why hasn't he been snapped up? It can only be wages. It would appear he and/or his agent have an inflated opinion of his ability and the amount of money he can command.
    He will get snapped up, nothing wrong with playing the waiting game and trying to maximise your wages though. It isn't greed it's common sense.

Ledley will probably retire in the next 5 years, he doesn't seem like he'll get a lot of tv work so his probably only option is to coach which isn't anywhere near as well paid. This will probably be his last contract, nothing wrong with looking after number 1 (and family).

His agent is obviously holding out for the best deal possible. Isn't that why one employs an agent?

I'd like to see him play for us again and I think it would be a nice addition to the squad. But I wouldn't pay over the odds. I wish him luck in whatever he chooses to do as long as he's fit to play for Wales.

If he was in our plans, (and us in his) I think a deal would've been done by now. I can't see NW making any big changes at this stage, so I think it's just speculation on our part tbh.

I think one or two may come in, we just need to shift the likes of John, Fred, Noone and SOK etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Rubbish. He was the best player in the midfield every game practically. You really missed him when he was gone. Whether it was his powerful running on the left or later, his energy in the middle, he was one of our best players. Ledley is a much better player than Ralls and Damour is an unknown quantity. Ledley and Gunnar gives you a base to play a 10 and 2 wingers. Also, if Gunnar gets injured, we have to play Halford to give us some bite. If Joe is available for about 10-15k a week, yes please.
    Well, if he'd been as great as that glowing review, we'd have been inundated with bids for him.

Good player? Yes. Great? No. As influential as a Whitts or McPhail? No, different type of player.

Damour so far has impressed. Ralls is pretty consistent. Halford can fill in periodically. Far better than a player not match fit who has had no pre-season.

Banned

The last 4 seasons he's played 97 scored 6.
    We need more goals from midfield and I don't think Ledley is worth signing.

On today's performance, we don't need him. If he wanted to come for 15k a week then great but I'm assuming he will want double that.

Nothing against Joe but he left us high and dry when we needed the transfer fee.At the moment he is earning nothing and maybe NW will go for him.This time we are holding all the cards so he may well take a big pay cut.
    He has had no pre season and it is going to take a time to get up to speed,i think it would be best to pass up on him.