+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Glenn Campbell

Glenn Campbell

The Rhinestone cowboy - R.I.P.

Re: Glenn Campbell

RIP .

Rip. When we were kids and we first heard him sing 'Wichita Lineman' with the opening words "I am a linesman for the county" we thought he was singing about a football linesman at Newport. Great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKeqXyY-9xA

Hustles the name of the game and nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain. RIP GC

RIP, another legend leaves .

Must be a hellva gig in heaven these days , wonder if thery will have a Godstock up there .

Great voice, superb musician.
    I've been fond of Glenn Campbell since I heard him on the radio and in my elders record collection way way back when I was a nipper.
    He's always kinda been there since, and always in my musical rotation.

He was also an absolutely incredible guitar player.

All the best GC.

Great music career, and also played a leading role in one of my favourite films - True Grit

Always had a soft spot for C+W, ergo Glenn Campbell.

Just read up on his life on the BBC obit and was amazed to discover he also played on hundreds of well known tracks before making it big in his own right, including Daydream Believer, Strangers In The Night, You've Lost That Loving Feeling and Viva Las Vegas amongst others.

Was self taught on a $7 guitar. Gives guitar chumps like me a ray of hope (of simply being able to play the instrument, not being the next Glenn Campbell).

Such a talent and one of the true greats of country and popular music spanning generations.
    'By the time I get to Phoenix' my fave.
    Also loved 'Nine Stone Cowboy' and 'Linesman for Notts County'.
    Made country music fashionable.
    Guitar player of the highest order and the guy's range was phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rhinestone cowboy - R.I.P.

AND now hes a headstone cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Rip. When we were kids and we first heard him sing 'Wichita Lineman' with the opening words "I am a linesman for the county" we thought he was singing about a football linesman at Newport. Great song.

Yep, I used to think exactly the same, then in the next line he sounded like a glory hunting Man City fan when he started on about the Main(e) Road and he followed that up in the next line about searching in the sun for another open goal - some people think he's singing "for another overload", but they're idiots, Wichita Lineman is one of the great football songs .

Well, it's a great song anyway, but, for me, it's follow up, Galveston, is better - Campbell was a Republican voting, Vietnam War supporting Nixon fan whose TV show made him look like a sellout, all of which should have made him someone I couldn't stand, but I couldn't dislike him when he was coming out with songs like those, all delivered with that superb voice - more than anyone else, Glenn Campbell set me on a route to realising that country music wasn't the sentimental hokum that I thought it was.

RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8

He had a superb voice. I used to try singing along to the 'Newport song' - I am a linesman down the County... - when it came on in the car. Cruising down the M4 in full voice. But once it got to the top notes, I'd have to change down the odd octave. He dealt with them effortlessly. Again, 'By the time I get to Phoenix' is one of the greatest (and saddest) love songs of all time beautifully sung by Campbell. One of the all time greats. RIP.

https://youtu.be/2A7iuQF_tAc
    One of the all time great songs. So long Glen. Thanks for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post

My old man was an overhead linesman , that song reminds me of my dad.

Not bad for a cotton picker. RIP Glenn, all time C & W great. Try a little kindness is one of my favs.

RIP great musician and a modest , decent man.

The 6 string bass solos on Rhinestone Cowboy and Galveston! RIP x

Bad taste joke alert...... A comedian I saw on holiday last year came out with, " It's so sad about Glen Campbell's dementia.... He's getting cards & letters off people he don't even know". RIP.