+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players ratings

Players ratings

Murphy - 2 Thought he was awful. Lacked confidence when kicking - which will cost us one day soon. Called 'Keepers' and then didn't gather the ball which led to his card and the two saves I remember were to shots I think were going wide anyway.
    Halford - 5 Don't think he's a full back. Great goal, but out of position when the cross field pass came which resulted in their goal.
    Richards - 5 One particularly important tackle
    Manga - 4 There was a problem with our central defence - too easily exposed - and I'm going to put the majority of the blame at his feet. There was one moment when he hesitated in the penalty area and this could easily have resulted in a goal.
    Morrison - 5 Little he could do about the goal. If he missed the bullet of a cross shot, their forward would have scored. As mentioned, central defence was dodgy.
    Damour - 3 Seriously unimpressed by his distribution and lack of bite in the tackle. Midfield was poor.
    O'Keefe - 3 Off his game
    Kennedy - 6 Offered something going forward, but never tried to beat his man and faded as the game went on.
    Ward - 5 Thought he looked lively - but lightweight for this division. Only had one real chance which was a tame header, but I'll be charitable and say the ball was a little behind him.
    Tomlin - 6 Some effective passing, a good work-rate and seems to have a positive attitude. A bit overweight? - which was noticed by the Pompey fans....
    Pilkington - 1 Sooner he goes the better
    Mendez-Laing - 7 Took his goal well. Pacey. Seemed to be out of position a few times - leaving the wing vacant.

I enjoyed the game from the second half on. Bearing in mind this was a team comprised mainly of reserves, it was a reasonable result.

Re: Players ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Murphy - 2 Thought he was awful. Lacked confidence when kicking - which will cost us one day soon. Called 'Keepers' and then didn't gather the ball which led to his card and the two saves I remember were to shots I think were going wide anyway.
    Halford - 5 Don't think he's a full back. Great goal, but out of position when the cross field pass came which resulted in their goal.
    Richards - 5 One particularly important tackle
    Manga - 4 There was a problem with our central defence - too easily exposed - and I'm going to put the majority of the blame at his feet. There was one moment when he hesitated in the penalty area and this could easily have resulted in a goal.
    Morrison - 5 Little he could do about the goal. If he missed the bullet of a cross shot, their forward would have scored. As mentioned, central defence was dodgy.
    Damour - 3 Seriously unimpressed by his distribution and lack of bite in the tackle. Midfield was poor.
    O'Keefe - 3 Off his game
    Kennedy - 6 Offered something going forward, but never tried to beat his man and faded as the game went on.
    Ward - 5 Thought he looked lively - but lightweight for this division. Only had one real chance which was a tame header, but I'll be charitable and say the ball was a little behind him.
    Tomlin - 6 Some effective passing, a good work-rate and seems to have a positive attitude. A bit overweight? - which was noticed by the Pompey fans....
    Pilkington - 1 Sooner he goes the better
    Mendez-Laing - 7 Took his goal well. Pacey. Seemed to be out of position a few times - leaving the wing vacant.

I enjoyed the game from the second half on. Bearing in mind this was a team comprised mainly of reserves, it was a reasonable result.
    Manga was immense in defence . 8
    Damour did well after looking a bit week in the first couple minutes 6
    Kennedy 7 showed great potential to either make a goal or score a goal himself . The link up play when he burst through the middle as a pass was threaded through to him near the end was top drawer .
    Mendez Laing 9 outstanding performance , could well be a star in the making .
    Tomlin was like a good wine , improved as the game got older . 8 needs to watch his tempramemt . Playing with 10 men is always harder , he gives the impression he gets wound a little too easily..

Surprised by the low markings of the OP.

Murphy 5 - worst performance I've seen from him in a City shirt

Halford 6 - couldn't do a thing right according to many sat around by me and I agree he was at fault with Pompey's goal, but took his winner well - I'd have preferred to have seen him in midfield and Coxe given a start at right back
    Morrison 6 - couldn't do anything about the own goal, but struggled against what seemed to be straightforward long balls at times
    Manga 6 - generally in charge, but the odd sloppy mistake
    Richards 7 - one of our best players on the night.

Kennedy 8 - fared much better on the left in the second half than he did on the right in the first and, generally speaking, took the chance he was given.
    O'Keefe 6 - most impressive aspect of his game was the stamina which saw him still going in the hundred and twentieth minute, but it still looked at times as if Damour was a one man central midfield.
    Damour 8 - my Man of the Match, some sloppy moments in the first half, but he became more and more influential as the game went on.
    Tomlin 7 - I think his team mates are still getting used to him, but there were signs that we are going to be so much more of a threat when we play short passes on the edge of the opposing penalty area with Tomlin in the team.

Pilkington 3 - i'm a Pilks fan, but he looked like someone who didn't want to be there last night.
    Ward 7 - Clever, hard working and surprisingly strong, an effective leader of the attack.

Subs
    Mendez-Laing 8 - apart from a tendency to snatch at shooting opportunities, continues to look a real bargain, was instrumental in turning the game around for us.
    Hoilett 7 - another example of us having game changers on the bench this season, we improved when he came on.
    Meite 6 - raw, but his speed worried Pompey and I think he has benefited from having a full pre season behind him, looks more like a pro footballer than he did last season.
    Ralls 6 - kept thing ticking in midfield at a time when we had got on top.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surprised by the low markings of the OP.

Murphy 5 - worst performance I've seen from him in a City shirt

Halford 6 - couldn't do a thing right according to many sat around by me and I agree he was at fault with Pompey's goal, but took his winner well - I'd have preferred to have seen him in midfield and Coxe given a start at right back
    Morrison 6 - couldn't do anything about the own goal, but struggled against what seemed to be straightforward long balls at times
    Manga 6 - generally in charge, but the odd sloppy mistake
    Richards 7 - one of our best players on the night.

Kennedy 8 - fared much better on the left in the second half than he did on the right in the first and, generally speaking, took the chance he was given.
    O'Keefe 6 - most impressive aspect of his game was the stamina which saw him still going in the hundred and twentieth minute, but it still looked at times as if Damour was a one man central midfield.
    Damour 8 - my Man of the Match, some sloppy moments in the first half, but he became more and more influential as the game went on.
    Tomlin 7 - I think his team mates are still getting used to him, but there were signs that we are going to be so much more of a threat when we play short passes on the edge of the opposing penalty area with Tomlin in the team.

Pilkington 3 - i'm a Pilks fan, but he looked like someone who didn't want to be there last night.
    Ward 7 - Clever, hard working and surprisingly strong, an effective leader of the attack.

Subs
    Mendez-Laing 8 - apart from a tendency to snatch at shooting opportunities, continues to look a real bargain, was instrumental in turning the game around for us.
    Hoilett 7 - another example of us having game changers on the bench this season, we improved when he came on.
    Meite 6 - raw, but his speed worried Pompey and I think he has benefited from having a full pre season behind him, looks more like a pro footballer than he did last season.
    Ralls 6 - kept thing ticking in midfield at a time when we had got on top.
    See I thought Damour was part of the problem tonight. He and O'Keefe failed to get a grip on the middle, neither came to take the ball off the centre backs and as a result it was hoofed out constantly.
    His tracking wasn't great either.

There was a huge difference when Ralls came on as suddenly we had someone who put their foot on the ball and passed it on the floor.
    He also makes himself available constantly instead of turning his back and charging upfield and will pass out of trouble rather than aimlessly whack.

Agree about O'Keefe's engine, very impressive, but he doesn't get hold of the ball enough and his passing is average at best.

I thought tonight showed why Ralls is important to us as we don't have anyone else who can do what he does.

Kennedy and NML impressed too - and Tomlin in 2nd half, but apart from 30 mins just after half time our best spell was extra time.
    First half we were useless and I fear for Pilkington

Also Meite could have had a hat trick.
    He's quick but his touch and finishing are awful.
    Hard to see him making an impression at this level I'm afraid

I must be watching a different match, these are my ratings
    Murphy 5 very nervous you can now see why he is number 3 not the player we saw last season
    Halford 5 not a right back , should have gone into midfield, and as Bob say Coxe should have been brought on
    Morrison 6 not his normal game
    Manga 6 seemed to be off the pace quite a bit just a one off (I hope)
    Jazz 8 excellent game shows what a good player he is, great interchanges with kennedy and some cracking passes
    Damour 5 did not do much did show potential
    Okeefe 5 run and run but not the player we saw last season, must be on his way if Neil can get someone else in
    Kennedy 9 had an excellent game, shown tonight just what a good player he is, going to starting in first team before long
    Tomlin 8 never stopped running and excellent passes, going to be a real asset
    Ward 7 never stopped trying even when those high balls were pinged to him
    Pilkington 1 must be on his way
    Laing 9 excellent but when he first came on, trying shots instead of crossing but Neil must have had a word, much better after
    ralls 7 tightened up the midfield made a difference
    maite 5 very raw but very fast could have had a few goals

Forgot about Hoilett 7 made a difference

I think my ratings were tempered by the presence of two lady pensioners on either side of me - who needed smelling salts every time the ball went into our half. Such language too!

I wonder what ratings would be given by certain posters to Real Madrid players after a good performance en route to winning the European Cup.

Also, my marks were out of ten!

You sir make Croesy's habitual rating of 4 for Whittingham seem wildly generous by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Also Meite could have had a hat trick.
    He's quick but his touch and finishing are awful.
    Hard to see him making an impression at this level I'm afraid
    He got himself in the right areas, perhaps he was a bit nervous , certainly unlucky.

I would like to see more of him, doubt I will unless we have another relatively easy cup draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Manga was immense in defence . 8
    Damour did well after looking a bit week in the first couple minutes 6
    Kennedy 7 showed great potential to either make a goal or score a goal himself . The link up play when he burst through the middle as a pass was threaded through to him near the end was top drawer .
    Mendez Laing 9 outstanding performance , could well be a star in the making .
    Tomlin was like a good wine , improved as the game got older . 8 needs to watch his tempramemt . Playing with 10 men is always harder , he gives the impression he gets wound a little too easily..
    Agree with this version
    Spedger

I suspect Cyclops is one of those mugs who still feel's that whittingham could've still contributed to our team.

Murphy - 5 : Decent kicking, silly showboating almost cost us

Halford - 2 : He isn't the best in his preferred position but looked terribly awkward in right back. well taken goal gets him +1
    Morrison - 6 : Looked solid. The careless own goal gets him -1
    Manga - 7 : Not the best performance by his high standards but still very good and excellent distribution
    Richards - 8 : Not a fan of this guy, but he did play brilliant in this match

Kennedy - 8 : Almost an amazing performance but he really should've put away one of the 2 golden opportunities.
    Damour - 7 : Was tidy and clinical I felt. Not sure why other thought otherwise
    oKeefe - 5 : Running does not mean useful. Occasionally disrupted their attack but wayyy too quiet.
    Tomlin - 7 : Brought what whittingham doesn't, a quick pop at a clever pass. Also he chased down their back 4 tirelessly until he was subbed off well into ET

Pilkington - 1 : ..
    Ward - 7 : A real battler with a hint of class at a times. His link up play with midfield was easy on the eyes too

Subs
    Laing - 9 : Blistering pace and skill to boot. Also his awareness seems to be on another level. Impressive
    Ralls - 7 : Solid as always. Always looking for a forward pass too
    Meite - 5 : Got in good positions and did a good turn and shot at the end but really RAW as others have said.

I also thought Damour was awful, especially in the first half, but improved a little 2nd half, and Tomlinson is so unfit, he actually played CF for a while before going off.
    Ward was disappointing, and the number 27 didn't do himself any favours.

Mendez Laing changed the game when he came on, he was excellent.

Good win, when's the draw for the next round?

Ward looked lively and really showed he wanted to be on the pitch, which is a change from some of the shite we've had here in the past 4 years.

Kennedy was just the same, brilliant effort from both

Who this new player Tomlinson is, I HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE.