+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Villa full backs

Villa full backs

I think we can get at them tomorrow. I've never been a fan of Hutton and despite being OK for Wales i think Taylor is a liability.

Like others I'd love to see Mendez Laing up against Taylor and Hoilett attacking Hutton.

I've been in Majorca this week (not Santa Ponsa) so i wasn't there Tuesday but on the highlights Hoilett looked like he made an impact, though i wouldn't mind seeing Kennedy start either.

Bring it on

Re: Villa full backs

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I think we can get at them tomorrow. I've never been a fan of Hutton and despite being OK for Wales i think Taylor is a liability.

Like others I'd love to see Mendez Laing up against Taylor and Hoilett attacking Hutton.

I've been in Majorca this week (not Santa Ponsa) so i wasn't there Tuesday but on the highlights Hoilett looked like he made an impact, though i wouldn't mind seeing Kennedy start either.

Bring it on
    Taylor is not the best defensively so I would definitely like to see Mendez-Laing running at him as I can see him getting past a few times & also winning a few free kicks. Taylor has done well for Wales but part of that is due to having Ben Davies providing cover behind him which has helped to make up for his defensive short-comings.

They are far from a last seasons Newcastle, we shouldn't pay them too much respect.

Fvck 'em! Aston Villa are the filler of a sandwich made of shit. We will smash them

Bring it on
    Taylor is a solid player at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Taylor is a solid player at this level.
    Absolutely, better than any full back we have

hope Taylor does play,can't cross a ball to save his life.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Debatable

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Debatable.

No doubting he's had moments in his career that exceed anything our full backs have achieved.

However, time stands still for no man and football is played on grass, not paper, and apart from a few decent games in a Welsh shirt in the last few years Taylor is an average player.

Plus, apart from being Welsh, he's one stroppy **** and he's got one of those faces you'd like to smash. I'll be booing him tomorrow the Jack Bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Taylor is not the best defensively so I would definitely like to see Mendez-Laing running at him as I can see him getting past a few times & also winning a few free kicks. Taylor has done well for Wales but part of that is due to having Ben Davies providing cover behind him which has helped to make up for his defensive short-comings.
    Last season we finally had some attacking pace in the team, but if Zohore, Hoilett and Kadeem Harris were all starting the game, we didn't have much of that commodity on the bench to replace them if they tired. It looks to me now as if we do and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mendez-Laing on the bench today because he has had such an impact as a substitute in our last two games and I don't think an aging Villa defence would relish the sight of Ward coming off the bench for the last quarter of the game either.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last season we finally had some attacking pace in the team, but if Zohore, Hoilett and Kadeem Harris were all starting the game, we didn't have much of that commodity on the bench to replace them if they tired. It looks to me now as if we do and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mendez-Laing on the bench today because he has had such an impact as a substitute in our last two games and I don't think an aging Villa defence would relish the sight of Ward coming off the bench for the last quarter of the game either.

You could well be right Bob although I can see either Mendez-Laing or Ward starting based on what I have seen so far this season & due to me expecting us to revert to a back 4. Also Matty Kennedy's tweet about today's game suggests that he is involved which further cements my opinion about one of them starting.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Debatable.

No doubting he's had moments in his career that exceed anything our full backs have achieved.

However, time stands still for no man and football is played on grass, not paper, and apart from a few decent games in a Welsh shirt in the last few years Taylor is an average player.

Plus, apart from being Welsh, he's one stroppy **** and he's got one of those faces you'd like to smash. I'll be booing him tomorrow the Jack Bastard.

Absolutely debatable. Personally I would not swap Joe Bennett for Taylor & if we are talking all full backs then the same applies to Callum Paterson as I strongly believe that we have signed a real gem & I can't wait to see him play.

Taylor has done ok at international level but is helped significantly by the fact that we play with 3 central defenders & as I said earlier Ben Davies helps to cover up for his defensive frailties. If Villa play a back 4 & Taylor is one:one with Mendez-Laing in particular I can honestly see some good chances being created. Taylor is an overrated player in my view & interestingly a few Swansea fans I know were regularly telling me this when he played for them & they were pleased when he went to Villa.

Last week Villa seemed awfully vulnerable against a quick counter attack so, as mentioned in another thread, it would be little surprise if they conceded the impetuous of the game and asked ourselves to attack first.

It's either going to be a really interesting tactical battle or a game won via a corner.

Hutton is an animal, think I'll have a £5 on him being red-carded.

Haven't seen Patterson in a City shirt so can't judge, but would definitely prefer Bennett over Taylor.
    Defensively I reckon Peltier is better too.

Richards is decent too.

We've got the best full back options we've had for a long time.

In fact I'd rate the current bunch above the ones we had in the prem

Theophile and John have proven since that they were nowhere near good enough for championship let alone premier league level.

If villa go with a back 3/5 then I'd play ward and zohore together as a front 2. It's a big ask playing one up against 3.

Space is out wide with 3 in midfield , so the key will be pushing our fullbacks on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Haven't seen Patterson in a City shirt so can't judge, but would definitely prefer Bennett over Taylor.
    Defensively I reckon Peltier is better too.

Richards is decent too.

We've got the best full back options we've had for a long time.

In fact I'd rate the current bunch above the ones we had in the prem

I agree, we do seem to have acquired a good set of full backs

Theophile and John have proven since that they were nowhere near good enough for championship let alone premier league level.
    Never know whether to trust wiki football stats or not but KT-C seemed to have a good first season in ligue one after leaving us and hasn't featured since.

John wasn't ready for premier league football but was pushed in due to a poor transfer policy. He seems to have the excuse of being pushed from one path to another, but the time for excuses are running out (or have run out?) and he needs to get his head down.

I agree that our full-backs are the best they have been for a number of years, our striking options too and probably our centre of midfield too. The only thing that has got weaker is goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    I agree, we do seem to have acquired a good set of full backs
    When was the last time we had proper good full backs?
    Super Kev was the most overrated ayer to ever wear a City shirt and couldn't pass or control a ball but gave 100%.

I'd go Delaney was good but as a pairing i remember Ray Daniel and Ian Rodgerson.

When was the last time we had proper good full backs?
    Super Kev was the most overrated ayer to ever wear a City shirt and couldn't pass or control a ball but gave 100%.

I'd go Delaney was good but as a pairing i remember Ray Daniel and Ian Rodgerson.

Maybe Chris Gunter although he was very young at the time & only played 28 times for us.

I also liked Ray Daniel & Ian Rodgerson, must be about 30 years ago since we signed them. Ray used to get me some comps at the time so maybe I am a little biased!

As for Delaney it was crazy to thing that a player of his quality was playing Welsh League football when we signed him.

I think we'll start Zohore, Tomlin and Hoilett with Mendez-Laing, Ward and Kennedy on the bench so we can call on their pace and workrate in the second half against a slow (except Hutton) and tiring Villa defence.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see all three of Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour start unless we opt for a defender in midfield again.

However, I'd love to see us play 4 2 3 1 with Zohore, Hoilett, Tomlin and Mendez-Laing all starting but I think the Vila midfield would over run us if we did that.