+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Villa full backs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Villa full backs

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Taylor is not the best defensively so I would definitely like to see Mendez-Laing running at him as I can see him getting past a few times & also winning a few free kicks. Taylor has done well for Wales but part of that is due to having Ben Davies providing cover behind him which has helped to make up for his defensive short-comings.
    Last season we finally had some attacking pace in the team, but if Zohore, Hoilett and Kadeem Harris were all starting the game, we didn't have much of that commodity on the bench to replace them if they tired. It looks to me now as if we do and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mendez-Laing on the bench today because he has had such an impact as a substitute in our last two games and I don't think an aging Villa defence would relish the sight of Ward coming off the bench for the last quarter of the game either.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last season we finally had some attacking pace in the team, but if Zohore, Hoilett and Kadeem Harris were all starting the game, we didn't have much of that commodity on the bench to replace them if they tired. It looks to me now as if we do and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mendez-Laing on the bench today because he has had such an impact as a substitute in our last two games and I don't think an aging Villa defence would relish the sight of Ward coming off the bench for the last quarter of the game either.

You could well be right Bob although I can see either Mendez-Laing or Ward starting based on what I have seen so far this season & due to me expecting us to revert to a back 4. Also Matty Kennedy's tweet about today's game suggests that he is involved which further cements my opinion about one of them starting.

I think we'll start Zohore, Tomlin and Hoilett with Mendez-Laing, Ward and Kennedy on the bench so we can call on their pace and workrate in the second half against a slow (except Hutton) and tiring Villa defence.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see all three of Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour start unless we opt for a defender in midfield again.

However, I'd love to see us play 4 2 3 1 with Zohore, Hoilett, Tomlin and Mendez-Laing all starting but I think the Vila midfield would over run us if we did that.