+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is the benefit of VT's visit?

Re: So what is the benefit of VT's visit?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He made a business decision......

Business decision. Yeah, right. It was all about the business.....

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    I notice TLG was there again today. He said he'd never go again whilst Tan was in charge. Perhaps Tan knew TLG was coming
    That's not what I said at all, but there we go. Believe what you want. It makes no odds. It's just nice to know you're keeping an eye for me, whoever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's not what I said at all, but there we go. Believe what you want. It makes no odds. It's just nice to know you're keeping an eye for me, whoever you are.

I assure you I'm not keeping an eye out for you

I saw you coming up the steps and I was quite shocked as I thought you said you'd never come back whilst Tan was in charge. The more the merrier. You must have been impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    His last reason for attending was that he was accompanying a friends widow. Perhaps he realised there's more to life then staying bitter and twisted over a poor decision that was reversed nearly 3 years ago.
    My reason for attending yesterday's game was the same, and that'll be my reason for attending any more games I may be at at the CCS this season, although I am going to Wolves next week simply for a day our with some old friends, as I did last season when I went to Fulham and Burton. As for me staying "bitter and twisted", personally I'll never, ever forgive Emperor Tan for the rebrand and unlike many I will never forget what actually happened in and around the football club during that particular period either. But hey, it's no big deal - we've all moved on in various ways it seems.

I saw you coming up the steps and I was quite shocked as I thought you said you'd never come back whilst Tan was in charge. The more the merrier. You must have been impressed.
    I said I'd never support the club while Tan owns it - I don't - and I said I'd never spend a penny at the club while he remains in charge - I haven't, unless you count a few drinks at Mark's post-funeral celebrations.

Really enjoyed yesterday's game. City were impressive, Villa were woeful. It looks like Steve Bruce has got big problems there, to put it mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Seeing people wearing the red tops made me feel a bit sick if I'm honest. Their choice of course, but it didn't sit well with me as in my mind they were validating Tan's decision.
    But common sense prevailed and he reversed the bad decisions, we're back in blue, and while I can understand people's feelings (both sides) at the time, I can't understand the reluctance of a few who seem unable to accept that he made a mistake, changed it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    So what if people purchased a red top? .
    Those who did pissed on the club's heritage and history, and fueled Tans belief he was right.

I haven't put money in his club since 2011. He can't fvck off quick enough as far as I am concerned.

Notice he is still on about Cornelius (Serie A player) and doesn't mention his own cock ups, not his own contribution to Cornelius' struggle here.

I just go and support the team to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I just go and support the team to be honest.
    Yep. I think over seven years he has been a very good owner. He made one very big mistake. Apart from that he has stuck by the club and never fleeced you. It could have been a lot worse. We were left in a mess by Zingarevich and our subsequent owners have not been a whole lot better.
    Be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep. I think over seven years he has been a very good owner. He made one very big mistake. Apart from that he has stuck by the club and never fleeced you. It could have been a lot worse. We were left in a mess by Zingarevich and our subsequent owners have not been a whole lot better.
    Out of interest, and to your knowledge, did Zingarevich ever do anything which resulted in people who had been diehard Reading fans for almost all of their lives stopping supporting the club?

Out of interest, and to your knowledge, did Zingarevich ever do anything which resulted in people who had been diehard Reading fans for almost all of their lives stopping supporting the club?
    Nope but he left the club in a desperate financial mess. We were close to going under. I appreciate your dislike of Tan but at least he has not left your club in the lurch and on the verge of administration.

Nope but he left the club in a desperate financial mess. We were close to going under. I appreciate your dislike of Tan but at least he has not left your club in the lurch and on the verge of administration.
    YEP,this how it is.

The problem is that as a direct result of Tan's actions and the reactions to them from a large percentage of the fanbase, I no longer consider Cardiff City to be 'my club' as such and I know that there are many other people who feel the same, while there are more still who have continued to attend matches and support the team but no longer feel the kind of bond with the club that they previously had.

During the last fifteen months I've seen two good friends go to their graves having lost a large part of their love and affection for CCFC during Tan's tenure. These were guys who really did have Cardiff City in their blood, but who never felt remotely the same about the club after the rebrand fiasco. Another acquaintance who had been an ardent City supporter since the Sixties died a few weeks ago. My partner attended his funeral last week. She met him through her work with the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust and they remained friends until he died. Neither has supported the club since the rebrand.

I guess the depth of that kind of feeling is difficult to understand unless the sort of thing that happened here happens at your club, and even then different people would have had entirely different reactions to the whole affair. Perhaps the saddest thing is that the situation simply wouldn't have come about in the first place had it not been for the ego of one man. He may have plenty of money but as far as some of us are concerned that in no way compensates for the damage he's done, and it never did.

I notice TLG was there again today. He said he'd never go again whilst Tan was in charge. Perhaps Tan knew TLG was coming
    Did Tan get the icecream out for him? Just joking.

The problem is that as a direct result of Tan's actions and the reactions to them from a large percentage of the fanbase, I no longer consider Cardiff City to be 'my club' as such and I know that there are many other people who feel the same, while there are more still who have continued to attend matches and support the team but no longer feel the kind of bond with the club that they previously had.

During the last fifteen months I've seen two good friends go to their graves having lost a large part of their love and affection for CCFC during Tan's tenure. These were guys who really did have Cardiff City in their blood, but who never felt remotely the same about the club after the rebrand fiasco. Another acquaintance who had been an ardent City supporter since the Sixties died a few weeks ago. My partner attended his funeral last week. She met him through her work with the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust and they remained friends until he died. Neither has supported the club since the rebrand.

I guess the depth of that kind of feeling is difficult to understand unless the sort of thing that happened here happens at your club, and even then different people would have had entirely different reactions to the whole affair. Perhaps the saddest thing is that the situation simply wouldn't have come about in the first place had it not been for the ego of one man. He may have plenty of money but as far as some of us are concerned that in no way compensates for the damage he's done, and it never did.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Did Tan get the icecream out for him? Just joking.
    How is this helpful, it's an emotive subject and you're trying to make it personal.

He had spoke to the players before the game and improved their win bonuses for the villa game and the league .

It's a great shame that genuine supporters have had to walk away. As with you I am passionate about my club but could not walk away. Tan has a huge ego. No doubt about that. Do you not think his ego made it that much harder for him to do a u turn and revert back to your traditional colours? At least he did change his mind. Maybe too little too late for you but at least he conceded defeat. I also think he deserves a bit of the benefit of doubt as I really do not think he would appreciate the depth of feeling a change in strip colour would mean. He badly misjudged this but he is a detached businessman and not a football fan of his local club.
    I fully expected him to sulk and walk away after you reverted back to your traditional colours but he has gotten on with it and as a club you are back on the way up.

Life is short. Maybe time to forgive but not necessarily forget.

If we were still playing in red or he left us bankrupt I could understand the hate. But the man has swallowed his pride, changed us back and is running us properly. And it's the most excited I've felt about going down in years.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    If we were still playing in red or he left us bankrupt I could understand the hate. But the man has swallowed his pride, changed us back and is running us properly. And it's the most excited I've felt about going down in years.
    That's how I see it. For a man with such a huge ego who is used to getting his way it would have been a bitter pill to swallow. We seem to be constantly looking for new owners from a position of weakness thanks to the Zingarevich legacy. The same cannot be said for Cardiff City.

I didn't feel those sentiments, though as I've looked back on things, I'd rather watch some of the dross we saw under Russell Slade than watch us with the red shirts on.

As for Tan, agreed entirely with your comments and for some, the damage has been done and there's no chance of reconciliation. Feelings towards Hammam from some were vicious but not to the level that some felt towards Tan.

Tan's seeming lack of regular involvement has been a blessing, no doubt, while the club have made huge efforts to recover the damage caused. Even the red away shirts have gone. Some won't give a toss about this, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    How is this helpful, it's an emotive subject and you're trying to make it personal.
    I was a bit crass, I acknowledge. I did say I was joking. No doubt you'll turn this into a 3 pager.

It's a great shame that genuine supporters have had to walk away. As with you I am passionate about my club but could not walk away. Tan has a huge ego. No doubt about that. Do you not think his ego made it that much harder for him to do a u turn and revert back to your traditional colours? At least he did change his mind. Maybe too little too late for you but at least he conceded defeat. I also think he deserves a bit of the benefit of doubt as I really do not think he would appreciate the depth of feeling a change in strip colour would mean. He badly misjudged this but he is a detached businessman and not a football fan of his local club. I fully expected him to sulk and walk away after you reverted back to your traditional colours but he has gotten on with it and as a club you are back on the way up.

Life is short. Maybe time to forgive but not necessarily forget.
    The truth is that Tan was left in no doubt whatsoever as regards the depth of feeling that his rebrand would bring. In fact, he was warned by the CEO who was in position at the time, other board members and senior members of the club's staff that the reaction from the fans would be far more angry than it actually was. Indeed, those within the club's hierarchy were pleasantly surprised by how meek and restrained the reaction from the majority of supporters was.

As regards his ego making the u-turn difficult, I've no doubt you're right but due to the catastrophic effect it was beginning to have on his business in terms of falling revenue, he was effectively left with little option. It's no coincidence that the change of policy occurred on the back of a few seriously poor attendances and an atmosphere in the ground that was apparently increasingly toxic.

If fans are willing to forgive Tan and forget what happened, then that's entirely up to them. The truth is that an overwhelming majority of City supporters simply didn't feel strongly enough about the subject to worry about it while things were going well on the pitch anyway, although most will deny that now. But for plenty of people the rebrand changed the way they view the club, its supporters and even the sport of football itself.

The truth is that Tan was left in no doubt whatsoever as regards the depth of feeling that his rebrand would bring. In fact, he was warned by the CEO who was in position at the time, other board members and senior members of the club's staff that the reaction from the fans would be far more angry than it actually was. Indeed, those within the club's hierarchy were pleasantly surprised by how meek and restrained the reaction from the majority of supporters was.

As regards his ego making the u-turn difficult, I've no doubt you're right but due to the catastrophic effect it was beginning to have on his business in terms of falling revenue, he was effectively left with little option. It's no coincidence that the change of policy occurred on the back of a few seriously poor attendances and an atmosphere in the ground that was apparently increasingly toxic.

If fans are willing to forgive Tan and forget what happened, then that's entirely up to them. The truth is that an overwhelming majority of City supporters simply didn't feel strongly enough about the subject to worry about it while things were going well on the pitch anyway, although most will deny that now. But for plenty of people the rebrand changed the way they view the club, its supporters and even the sport of football itself.
    Yep fair enough and there is no doubt your attendances were in steep decline. If he came out and admitted he made a serious mistake and apologised would it make any difference to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    He had spoke to the players before the game and improved their win bonuses for the villa game and the league .
    Didn't he try that before, but fell foul of those things called rules?