+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City linked with Watford midfielder Ben Watson

Cardiff City linked with Watford midfielder Ben Watson

Don't think we need him to be honest.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/15...nd-nottingham/

Re: Cardiff City linked with Watford midfielder Ben Watson

I'd take him useful bench man ,midfield is the key engine room ,more back up ,less risk .

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Decent player (thought he was older than 32) and I think we could do with another passer in the middle of the park.

Meanwhile..........

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...jects-13477599

Apologies, posts must have crossed, didn't see yours.

Gunnarsson, Ralls, Damour started last game. Damour seemed to play the more attacking role of the three - well, we'd expect Tomlin to play the AMC/number 10 role long term. We've also players like Ward, Mendez-Laing who could at a pinch do that.

Damour, from what I've seen, could fill a number of midfield roles. Halford can cover the more defensive roles - whilst still here, O'Keefe too.

he'd bring some experience, sure. He's obviously familiar with Warnock from Palace, but he's not a long term signing and not sure what he'd bring to the table these days.

Note; when I say cover, I mean cover as in fill in for the odd game.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd take him useful bench man ,midfield is the key engine room ,more back up ,less risk .
    He would be a useful bench man but then so are all of these from Villa:

Subs: Murphy, Manga, Richards, Tomlin, Ward, Halford, Kennedy.

Oh. Halford.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Decent player (thought he was older than 32) and I think we could do with another passer in the middle of the park.

Meanwhile..........

It's never going to end till Ledley gets a new club, is it?

I'd have thought if there was interest from Warnock then Joe would have been in here by now - Warnock seemed to pick him regularly at Palace. He's had injuries the last few seasons, he's had no pre-season. It would take a while for him to get anywhere near match fit - Tomlin's being brought alone due to his disrupted pre-season but at least he had part of one.

I just think when you consider we've Paterson and Healey coming back from injuring and needing to be managed, I'd assume Warnock would want players coming in hitting the ground running.

He would be a useful bench man but then so are all of these from Villa:

Subs: Murphy, Manga, Richards, Tomlin, Ward, Halford, Kennedy.

Oh. Halford.
    We've actually got a proper squad now, haven't we?

Halford can cover several different positions so adds versatility.

I just don't see what Watson would give us personally.

If we're in the market for a 32 year old midfielder, then I'd rather we'd kept Whitts tbh

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    If we're in the market for a 32 year old midfielder, then I'd rather we'd kept Whitts tbh
    Agreed to a degree - I suspect Watson is more the physical type Warnock prefers than Whitts though.

Is there anyone in the DVP who could, in an emergency step up for the odd game? Would prefer that over committing money to a 32 yr old.

Damour , ralls , gunners, halford , hard to justify signing another to sit around the bench etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Damour , ralls , gunners, halford , hard to justify signing another to sit around the bench etc.
    if we are playing 3 in the middle of the park, very little options available.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    if we are playing 3 in the middle of the park, very little options available.
    If we play 4-2-3-1 though, which I'd imagine our lineups will look similar to then it's Damour, Ralls, Gunners, Halford all able to fill the 2 holding roles. In terms of the attacking midfield /number 10 role, well, Damour can do that as can Tomlin et al aong with Mark Harris from DVP.

If we get another midfielder in, I'd want someone to be a regular starter not depth. Ralls and Gunnarsson have started well, Damour took his chance against Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Meanwhile..........

That's what I think, presumably it would be a loan as he'll be on big money at Watford. Think we need to move on Noone, John, SOK and Fred before anyone comes in though, although hopefully seeing our win on Saturday means that Tan finds a few quid down the back of the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    If we play 4-2-3-1 though, which I'd imagine our lineups will look similar to then it's Damour, Ralls, Gunners, Halford all able to fill the 2 holding roles. In terms of the attacking midfield /number 10 role, well, Damour can do that as can Tomlin et al aong with Mark Harris from DVP.

If we get another midfielder in, I'd want someone to be a regular starter not depth. Ralls and Gunnarsson have started well, Damour took his chance against Villa.
    I have seen nothing to suggest Damour is a holding CM. He might be able to do it but he's been the more advanced CM in both games he's played against Champ opposition (and done well, no doubting that).

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I have seen nothing to suggest Damour is a holding CM. He might be able to do it but he's been the more advanced CM in both games he's played against Champ opposition (and done well, no doubting that).
    Good distribution, doesn't seem to sh*t out of tackling. I think he could do that holding role if asked to. Agree, he's done pretty well so far could turn out to be an absolute bargain of a deal.

Problem then is, where does Tomlin fit in?

Good distribution, doesn't seem to sh*t out of tackling. I think he could do that holding role if asked to. Agree, he's done pretty well so far could turn out to be an absolute bargain of a deal.

Problem then is, where does Tomlin fit in?
    That role needs discipline though, he absolutely cannot go walkabout if he plays there. Also, seems a waste to play him there. Re Tomlin, we need a squad. Nice problem to have that someone of his obvious ability isn't guaranteed a game. We battered Villa on Saturday with Warnock's main signings (Ward, Tomlin, and to a certain extent Manga) sat on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That role needs discipline though, he absolutely cannot go walkabout if he plays there. Also, seems a waste to play him there. Re Tomlin, we need a squad. Nice problem to have that someone of his obvious ability isn't guaranteed a game. We battered Villa on Saturday with Warnock's main signings (Ward, Tomlin, and to a certain extent Manga) sat on the bench.
    Agree on the discipline side of the holding role, that's essential. Thought he was fairly disciplined in his forward role, wasn't haring around like a headless chicken - I did wonder when he signed if he'd be a replacement for Gunnarsson tbh.

What I like about what Warnock has done is the squad has a lot of balance, has a lot of scope to play different ways.

I used to really rate this guy, but he's the wrong side of 30 now and we seem to have a few options in that area

Agree on the discipline side of the holding role, that's essential. Thought he was fairly disciplined in his forward role, wasn't haring around like a headless chicken - I did wonder when he signed if he'd be a replacement for Gunnarsson tbh.

What I like about what Warnock has done is the squad has a lot of balance, has a lot of scope to play different ways.
    We've got a lot of options, except up top and in the middle, in my opinion. We are an injury and a suspension away from Halford playing centre mid/centre forward.

Also, to play the defensive role, you have to stop yourself getting involved in attacks, something Damour is pretty good at and I think he'd struggle (as a lot of players would do) to not get involved and then he's out of postion should they counter.

I don't think we need him or Ledley to be honest.

A number 10 or second striker please

Decent player from what little I remember.

I'd take him