+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Malky was an Idiot...... A.A. Won't like this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Malky was an Idiot...... A.A. Won't like this

Who is rubbishing the achievement? The reality is we struggled at the end of season - something that seems to happen every season in Mackay coached teams - and that other teams also dropped a lot of points at the end. A different season, that could well have cost us.

The point I'm trying and probably failing to make is that struggling in that manner kills the momentum of winning the title. We became far, far more defensive as a consequence and as I said you can't effectively counter-attack if you've no pace in the side. Malky built and left an unbalanced side. It's only now, under Warnock, that we've got a squad with a nice mix of players able to adapt and play in different styles.

My issue is with the "Malky is a great manager, one of our best because we won the title" argument. We've had far better managers in our time, even at lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Who is rubbishing the achievement? The reality is we struggled at the end of season - something that seems to happen every season in Mackay coached teams - and that other teams also dropped a lot of points at the end. A different season, that could well have cost us.

The point I'm trying and probably failing to make is that struggling in that manner kills the momentum of winning the title. We became far, far more defensive as a consequence and as I said you can't effectively counter-attack if you've no pace in the side. Malky built and left an unbalanced side. It's only now, under Warnock, that we've got a squad with a nice mix of players able to adapt and play in different styles.

My issue is with the "Malky is a great manager, one of our best because we won the title" argument. We've had far better managers in our time, even at lower levels.
    No it isn't. It really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    No it isn't. It really isn't.
    17 points out of 36.

We weren't losing - only the one loss but 3 wins in 12 doesn't make great reading.

17 points out of 36.

We weren't losing - only the one loss but 3 wins in 12 doesn't make great reading.
    Whereas being top of the league with 0 matches to play made fantastic reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Whereas being top of the league with 0 matches to play made fantastic reading.
    It definitely did, my concern was form going into the next season.

It definitely did, my concern was form going into the next season.
    You're kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You're kidding right?
    No.

There was the high of winning the title, but numerous poor performances at the end of the season just showed the squad wasn't close to good enough for the Prem. The signings made ignoring Acorn didn't address the clear problems.

17 points out of 36.

As I said in the other post, from the games that mattered we got 14 points out of a possible 27. The last three games which we drew were meaningless.

Last 12 games from that season

From the games that mattered we got 14 points out of a possible 27

36. Round 05/03/2013 Derby County 1:1 (0:0)
    29. Round 12/03/2013 Leicester City 1:1 (0:0)
    38. Round 16/03/2013 Sheffield Wednesday 2:0 (1:0)
    39. Round 30/03/2013 Peterborough United 1:2 (1:0)
    40. Round 01/04/2013 Blackburn Rovers 3:0 (1:0)
    41. Round 06/04/2013 Watford FC 0:0 (0:0)
    37. Round 09/04/2013 Barnsley FC 1:1 (0:0)
    42. Round 13/04/2013 Nottingham Forest 3:0 (1:0)
    43. Round 16/04/2013 Charlton Athletic 0:0 (0:0) - PROMOTED
    44. Round 20/04/2013 Burnley FC 1:1 (1:0) CHAMPIONS
    45. Round 27/04/2013 Bolton Wanderers 1:1 (0:1)
    46. Round 04/05/2013 Hull City 2:2 (0:0)