+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Malky was an Idiot...... A.A. Won't like this

Re: Malky was an Idiot...... A.A. Won't like this

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    We were 17th when he left and finished 20th.
    Were we relatively 'stable' around 17th at that time or on a downward trend?
    Genuine question, can't remember.

Put it this way, though we weren't in the bottom 3 when he left after the Southampton game, we had Sunderland home on 28th or 29th which we drew 2-2, then we had horrendous fixtures in January which would have left us in the relegation zone.

Whether we would have got out after that is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Put it this way, though we weren't in the bottom 3 when he left after the Southampton game, we had Sunderland home on 28th or 29th which we drew 2-2, then we had horrendous fixtures in January which would have left us in the relegation zone.

Whether we would have got out after that is anyone's guess.
    Agreed but its been done to death this argument and no one is going to change their mind now after 4 years.

Myself personally im just glad I never bought into Malky. I always said even when we were winning that the football was painful to watch and that the fans were blinded by his fist pump.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Agreed but its been done to death this argument and no one is going to change their mind now after 4 years.

Myself personally im just glad I never bought into Malky. I always said even when we were winning that the football was painful to watch and that the fans were blinded by his fist pump.
    I also found the post match "Malky Song" after the Bolton game (last game of the championship winning season) was a bit cringeworthy tbh, as if it was all about him.

Was he an idiot? Ultimately he made one real stand-out dodgy signing, then compounded his error by crying for more money. He was probably right that we needed to spend more in the January to keep us up, but he was the one who'd blown his budget. There was probably a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don't know the full story on, but ultimately he did a great job in getting us up, and a poor one of keeping us there. That said, I still think we had an outside chance up if he'd been allowed to see out the season.

But there was also fault on the part of the club, if your looking at a relegation battle, you need a Warnock type character, not a Norwegian Paper boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    It was always going to be a hard season, but I thought that under Malky we would cope. Let's not forget about Tan's presence in the dressing room, the orders to shoot more, the bonus thing etc. That was never going to help was it? Regardless of what Malky did (none of it came to light until way after he'd been sacked) Tan was unhappy that he was getting all the plaudits after Tan had sunk in all the money. I believe that Tan basically ****ed us and therefore lost millions purely out of spite. I'm sure there was a fair amount of hubris in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was always going to be a hard season, but I thought that under Malky we would cope. Let's not forget about Tan's presence in the dressing room, the orders to shoot more, the bonus thing etc. That was never going to help was it? Regardless of what Malky did (none of it came to light until way after he'd been sacked) Tan was unhappy that he was getting all the plaudits after Tan had sunk in all the money. I believe that Tan basically ****ed us and therefore lost millions purely out of spite. I'm sure there was a fair amount of hubris in there too.
    I agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Also please bear this in mind - Malky was a complete tart - if any other premier league club offered him the chance he would be away from us as fast as his little legs could carry him.
    So please let go of the chest beating blue through and through head banging ayatollah stuff
    I remember this exchange (paraphrased). Malky was in it for number 1.

MM: Blue shirts don't matter.
    Fan: What about if we changed Celtic's hoops?
    MM: Erm, well, it's a complex issue.
    Fan: No go on, they'd never change for anything, would they?
    MM: Well, erm, umm, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I think if malky had stayed the chances are we would still have gone down.

Although we wouldn't have made such a cock up of things as ole subsequently did. Think of the millions we threw away under him.

We never picked up points at a rate that would have seen us stay up, just for a while other clubs were worse.
    We also initial picked up more points than the underlying stats suggested we should have, so it was probably never sustainable.

When other teams at the bottom got their shit together and went on a run, we had no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I remember this exchange (paraphrased). Malky was in it for number 1.

MM: Blue shirts don't matter.
    Fan: What about if we changed Celtic's hoops?
    MM: Erm, well, it's a complex issue.
    Fan: No go on, they'd never change for anything, would they?
    MM: Well, erm, umm, no.
    What do you take away from that? Would you honestly expect anyone at CCFC to speak out against the red shirts? Even Bellamy towed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Although we wouldn't have made such a cock up of things as ole subsequently did. Think of the millions we threw away under him.

We never picked up points at a rate that would have seen us stay up, just for a while other clubs were worse.
    We also initial picked up more points than the underlying stats suggested we should have, so it was probably never sustainable.

When other teams at the bottom got their shit together and went on a run, we had no answer.
    Look at who Moody brought in at Palace in the January window. Scott Dann, Wayne Hennessey, Joe Ledley and Jason Puncheon. That could have been us. Palace "got their shit together" after Malky was sacked. And with our former head of recruitment. For me the blame lays squarely at the feet of Vincent Tan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

It's all speculation. But when he left we had already played 7 of the eventual top 9 at Home and we'd taken 6 points off the only 2 teams we'd played at Home that finished in the bottom-half.

So if you assume most of our points that season would come from Home games against weaker teams in the division most of those games were still ahead of us when he left.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Best manager weve ever had i wont slag him off.
    Er, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40916521

Cornelius transfer cost the Club £20 million!
    Or is Tan the idiot for letting someone spend that sort of (his own!) money on a donkey like Cornelius?

Tan is not a football person, but I wonder if he lets people in his many other business ventures have such a free rein with that much cash? I very much doubt it.

Just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Or is Tan the idiot for letting someone spend that sort of (his own!) money on a donkey like Cornelius?

Tan is not a football person, but I wonder if he lets people in his many other business ventures have such a free rein with that much cash? I very much doubt it.

Just weird.
    Tan's problem seems to be he expected managers to act rationally and not like kids in sweetie stores. Naive, even. Taken their views on players on trust. Managers have always been backed by him in the transfer market and I don't think it's in question some have taken advantage.

Seems he's now learnt that lesson the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Tan's problem seems to be he expected managers to act rationally and not like kids in sweetie stores. Naive, even. Taken their views on players on trust. Managers have always been backed by him in the transfer market and I don't think it's in question some have taken advantage.

Seems he's now learnt that lesson the hard way.
    In which case Malky was really having a laugh with Cornelius then. Medel and Caulker justified big fees, but Corny was a huge surprise (and risk) and turned out as we expected.

I hope that he (Corny not Malky!) makes it with Atalanta btw - that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm in the "we were getting found out camp".

Stoke and Villa away were there for the taking. He celebrated the point away to Stoke like we'd won the champions league but if we had a bit more ambition we could have put them to the sword.

Whilst individually some coud argue that his signings that summer weren't all bad, they did nothing to address the lack of balance in the team.

When you compare Malky's transfer activity that summer with what Warnock has done this year in a lot less buyer friendly market then it was nothing short of woeful.

We needed pace, we needed guile but what we got were water carriers.

Hull and Steve Bruce put us to shame in the transfer market that season.
    I share this opinion
    Malky was found out and had nothing in the locker
    When Tan gave Malky a larger locker he filled it with players that were fairly average to rubbish

In which case Malky was really having a laugh with Cornelius then. Medel and Caulker justified big fees, but Corny was a huge surprise (and risk) and turned out as we expected.

I hope that he (Corny not Malky!) makes it with Atalanta btw - that would be nice.
    I think it was too big a move to too big a league too early for Cornelius. Fee was outrageous - if we were talking £2m or so, far lower wages, not being handed the number 9 shirt and it being made public from the start he was one for the future then we could possibly have carried and developed him for a few seasons.

Just weird.
    The idiots are the people that believe the Cornelius transfer cost 20 million.

Look at who Moody brought in at Palace in the January window. Scott Dann, Wayne Hennessey, Joe Ledley and Jason Puncheon. That could have been us. Palace "got their shit together" after Malky was sacked. And with our former head of recruitment. For me the blame lays squarely at the feet of Vincent Tan.
    Funny I thought Tony Pulis was manager of Palace at the time0. Didn't he bring those players in?????

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Funny I thought Tony Pulis was manager of Palace at the time0. Didn't he bring those players in?????
    So what was the head of player recruitment doing?

Accordin to an interview with Tony Pulis soon afteresttţgetting the players Pulis wanted, speaking to the agents and arranging the deals.

It was Pulis who spoke to the players to persuade them to move to Palace.

So they were Pulis' choices not Moodys!!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I bought into it at the start but he started to let slip just how big his ego was at the end. He played the fans like fiddles at Liverpool away and was leaking everything to his pals on motd making himself out to be a pariah.

His transfers in the summer before the premier league season weren't that bad but it was obvious he'd failed to address the lack of goals in the squad.

I think we were always going to get relegated but Ole made it a lot more sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Accordin to an interview with Tony Pulis soon afteresttţgetting the players Pulis wanted, speaking to the agents and arranging the deals.

It was Pulis who spoke to the players to persuade them to move to Palace.

So they were Pulis' choices not Moodys!!
    I think the truth is that when you have an "old school" manager like a Pulis or Warnock working at a club with a Head of Recruitment, the manager is far more involved in the actual transfer process than at some clubs where the manager/coach is presented with a group of new players and his job is to integrate them into the team as best as he can. However, I believe that even a Pulis or Warnock is reliant on his club's scouting network to the extent that he'll often tell them of the type of player(s) he wants and they eventually present him with a list of targets that would be available within the confines of the club's budget - I would expect an old school manager then to make a choice that is his alone on who he wants and he'd also want to have a meeting with the player before any deal was done. Therefore, while I think you are right to say that those Palace players weren't Moody signings, I'd also say that they weren't 100% Pulis signings either.

Illicitly getting our team lineup for the game against Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the truth is that when you have an "old school" manager like a Pulis or Warnock working at a club with a Head of Recruitment, the manager is far more involved in the actual transfer process than at some clubs where the manager/coach is presented with a group of new players and his job is to integrate them into the team as best as he can. However, I believe that even a Pulis or Warnock is reliant on his club's scouting network to the extent that he'll often tell them of the type of player(s) he wants and they eventually present him with a list of targets that would be available within the confines of the club's budget - I would expect an old school manager then to make a choice that is his alone on who he wants and he'd also want to have a meeting with the player before any deal was done. Therefore, while I think you are right to say that those Palace players weren't Moody signings, I'd also say that they weren't 100% Pulis signings either.
    Wasn't moody more involved with arranging the deals etc than actually identifying targets? Could be wrong though