+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of Cardiff City v Sheffield United matches.

Six decades of Cardiff City v Sheffield United matches.

Re: Six decades of Cardiff City v Sheffield United matches.

60s. Willie Carlin and Dave Munks. I can only guess that it's a cup semi final maybe at a neutral ground hence the changed strip for west ham. Although it does look like upton park.

70s. Mick Speight ?

80s. Colin Morris?

The 60s question, it's most certainly the chicken run upton park in the background, I thought it was demolished long before 1968 but apparently it was the following year when they redeveloped it.

They are playing in their away kit because the home kit was in the wash. I claim my prize!!!

Sheff U were relegated at the end of 67/8 season so it's prior to May 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    60s. Willie Carlin and Dave Munks. I can only guess that it's a cup semi final maybe at a neutral ground hence the changed strip for west ham. Although it does look like upton park.
    The players are correct and someone who I presume is a Sheffield United fan has contacted the blog with what seems to be a genuine reason why West Ham were wearing their away strip at Upton Park.

70s. Mick Speight ?
    Correct.

80s. Colin Morris?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    They are playing in their away kit because the home kit was in the wash. I claim my prize!!!

Sheff U were relegated at the end of 67/8 season so it's prior to May 1968.
    Apparently, the photo was taken during a Fifth Round FA Cup game in March 1968 which Sheffield United won 2-1 - the bloke who contacted the blog said that in those days the home side were change kit if there was a colour clash and this rings a a vague bell in the back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apparently, the photo was taken during a Fifth Round FA Cup game in March 1968 which Sheffield United won 2-1 - the bloke who contacted the blog said that in those days the home side were change kit if there was a colour clash and this rings a a vague bell in the back of my mind.
    West ham play in claret shirts with light blue sleeves, sheff utd in red and white stripes, there would be no colour clash surely?

West ham play in claret shirts with light blue sleeves, sheff utd in red and white stripes, there would be no colour clash surely?
    They'd definitely change now, but back then, I'm not so sure. Teams like Southampton, Sunderland, Stoke and Sheffield United used to change when they played at, say, Man United or Liverpool, but would they do so when the other side are in claret?

Actually, thinking about it, I can remember that League Cup Semi Final when Bobby Moore saved a penalty against Stoke, West Ham changed to that sky blue kit then - turns out both sides wore their second kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjVbUg3Crg

00s. Gary Naysmith

In this film of west ham home to sheff utd in 1966, they both wear their regular home shirts, no colour clash deemed then.

https://accessyoutube.org.uk/play/fus0wq2IXOQ

90's - Paul Devlin.

Going back to that 60's colour change, I think it was pretty standard practice during the 40's and 50's for the home team to change their colours if there was a colour clash in FA Cup ties. This custom tended to die out in the 60's but was possibly still lingering on in 1968 when this match was played ( remember that was the year we played in a change red strip at home to Porto in the Cup Winners' Cup). Also, given that it was an all First Division 5th round tie it would probably have been recorded for TV broadcast in good old grainy black and white so what was considered a 'colour clash' then was very different from now. I'm old enough to remember watching the 1963 cup final when Leicester had to change from blue shirts to an all-white strip when they played Man United who wore Red.

As I said above , perhaps the kit was in the wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    00s. Gary Naysmith
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    90's - Paul Devlin.

Going back to that 60's colour change, I think it was pretty standard practice during the 40's and 50's for the home team to change their colours if there was a colour clash in FA Cup ties. This custom tended to die out in the 60's but was possibly still lingering on in 1968 when this match was played ( remember that was the year we played in a change red strip at home to Porto in the Cup Winners' Cup). Also, given that it was an all First Division 5th round tie it would probably have been recorded for TV broadcast in good old grainy black and white so what was considered a 'colour clash' then was very different from now. I'm old enough to remember watching the 1963 cup final when Leicester had to change from blue shirts to an all-white strip when they played Man United who wore Red.
    Correct, just the 10s question left I think.

City played in their "lucky white" kit in the promotion match with Villa didn't they, so I think the Sheffield United fan is right - hope he doesn't want the book!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    As I said above , perhaps the kit was in the wash?
    Sorry, but I think home sides had to change colours for FA Cup matches back then beats the kit was in the wash for me .

Bjorn Helge Riise for the 10s.

Good stuff, as always. I hope you won't be missing out on the chance of another Burton quiz next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Bjorn Helge Riise for the 10s.

Good stuff, as always. I hope you won't be missing out on the chance of another Burton quiz next week.
    Fraid I will be missing out on a Burton quiz (again) - I did a Fairwater quiz when we played them last week, so I'll try and think of something different for the cup game.

Riise is correct by the way.