+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where's your favourite ever place you've been

Re: Where's your favourite ever place you've been

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Masai Mara is stunning and the harbour on the Greek island of Symi is beautiful.
    Symi is a very peaceful, tranquil place to sit and chill and watch the boats pass by. I was reading a book recently about the SAS and there was once a serious bit of fighting there which when you see it now would never be thought possible!

Here is a bit about it on wiki - in the book it went into a lot more detail which was fascinating having been there and seen what a great place it is.

Dowlais Top, near Merthyr, is a wondrous sight especially by moonlight.

From a vantage point of the village's Spar shop one can admire a derelict public urinal and some abandoned tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Seriously interesting stuff there.
    He’s a massive part of modern history...unfortunately.
    +1

The park in Poole Dorset.Had my first shag there

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Symi is a very peaceful, tranquil place to sit and chill and watch the boats pass by. I was reading a book recently about the SAS and there was once a serious bit of fighting there which when you see it now would never be thought possible!

Here is a bit about it on wiki - in the book it went into a lot more detail which was fascinating having been there and seen what a great place it is.
    Cheers Maccy. Wish I'd known more about the history of the place before visiting years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I live here! (in Singapore). Wanna come round ours to watch the Chelsea game?
    I had the candles ready and everything. Where were you?!

The bathroom after a vindaloo.

Kinsale Coubty Cork. Where the family is from.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    . He never renounced anything the bastards did and still revered Adolf till the day he finally did manage to top himself!! complete cwnt with everyone he dealt with.
    Are you 100% sure he topped himself? There is a lot of info out there that suggests otherwise....[/QUOTE]

Put it this way, he had been trying and failing for years. When the Soviets took over the guard on Spandau they stripped everything out of his cell and left him with the bare things that his sentence dictated.

The Brits let him have books radio stuff like that and he had a workshop like a man shed in the grounds. Lets be fair he had a whole fecking prison to himself.

The yanks gave him anything he wanted and left him to his own devices apparently. I personally got the opinion theie average soldier had no real idea what he had been part of and how high up in the thing he was. But each time he had tried previously it was when the Americans were on guard duty. And so it was in the end. I believe he hanged himself with electrical flex but he shouldn't have been left alone long enough to get access to it.

The French were just useless.

you might think it was better to top him and someone did it, but his death raised a problem no one wanted, which was where to bury him without it becoming a shrine to Neo Nazis. It was a very serious consideration at the time.

People always said the Soviets wanted to keep him alive so they had reason to station Armed troops in West Berlin, but that was plain bollox, the duty was as much a pain in the neck to them as it was to everyone else. It was the politicians driving it. And from my observations it was the Brits who wanted him alive the most!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Berlin when the wall was up. The history and place still standing in 1971 were amazing/
    6 years living there, my son was born there and I met people who are still my friens
    I also met Rudolf Hess there. The man was an asshole till the day he died, but again amazing history
    Welsh Guards?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Plovdiv. Stunning place while still a bit rough round the edges. 2 litre bottle of beer in the supermarket for about 70p or £1 for a better tasting one. Meal out with the missus came in at less than £10 in a traditional Bulgarian restaurant.
    Saw Wales u21 play there in the mid nineties.

It's funny, living in Toronto it's nice to see so many consider it their favourite place and it makes me thing I should explore my own city more. If I asked my Canadian wife she would say Cardiff / St Davids, I suppose we don't fully appreciate where we live sometimes!

Been many stunning places in the world - including a number of those mentioned here - but if 'favourite' is measured in terms of happiness, relaxation and peace with the world then it has to be West Wales for me.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Welsh Guards?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Toronto.
    Trono

Eastbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    Eastbourne.
    “I won’t have it said, there’s one in Eastbourne”, one of the Major’s classic lines👍👍👍