+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City linked with Watford midfielder Ben Watson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff City linked with Watford midfielder Ben Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Damour , ralls , gunners, halford , hard to justify signing another to sit around the bench etc.
    if we are playing 3 in the middle of the park, very little options available.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    if we are playing 3 in the middle of the park, very little options available.
    If we play 4-2-3-1 though, which I'd imagine our lineups will look similar to then it's Damour, Ralls, Gunners, Halford all able to fill the 2 holding roles. In terms of the attacking midfield /number 10 role, well, Damour can do that as can Tomlin et al aong with Mark Harris from DVP.

If we get another midfielder in, I'd want someone to be a regular starter not depth. Ralls and Gunnarsson have started well, Damour took his chance against Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    If we play 4-2-3-1 though, which I'd imagine our lineups will look similar to then it's Damour, Ralls, Gunners, Halford all able to fill the 2 holding roles. In terms of the attacking midfield /number 10 role, well, Damour can do that as can Tomlin et al aong with Mark Harris from DVP.

If we get another midfielder in, I'd want someone to be a regular starter not depth. Ralls and Gunnarsson have started well, Damour took his chance against Villa.
    I have seen nothing to suggest Damour is a holding CM. He might be able to do it but he's been the more advanced CM in both games he's played against Champ opposition (and done well, no doubting that).

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I have seen nothing to suggest Damour is a holding CM. He might be able to do it but he's been the more advanced CM in both games he's played against Champ opposition (and done well, no doubting that).
    Good distribution, doesn't seem to sh*t out of tackling. I think he could do that holding role if asked to. Agree, he's done pretty well so far could turn out to be an absolute bargain of a deal.

Problem then is, where does Tomlin fit in?

Good distribution, doesn't seem to sh*t out of tackling. I think he could do that holding role if asked to. Agree, he's done pretty well so far could turn out to be an absolute bargain of a deal.

Problem then is, where does Tomlin fit in?
    That role needs discipline though, he absolutely cannot go walkabout if he plays there. Also, seems a waste to play him there. Re Tomlin, we need a squad. Nice problem to have that someone of his obvious ability isn't guaranteed a game. We battered Villa on Saturday with Warnock's main signings (Ward, Tomlin, and to a certain extent Manga) sat on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That role needs discipline though, he absolutely cannot go walkabout if he plays there. Also, seems a waste to play him there. Re Tomlin, we need a squad. Nice problem to have that someone of his obvious ability isn't guaranteed a game. We battered Villa on Saturday with Warnock's main signings (Ward, Tomlin, and to a certain extent Manga) sat on the bench.
    Agree on the discipline side of the holding role, that's essential. Thought he was fairly disciplined in his forward role, wasn't haring around like a headless chicken - I did wonder when he signed if he'd be a replacement for Gunnarsson tbh.

What I like about what Warnock has done is the squad has a lot of balance, has a lot of scope to play different ways.

Agree on the discipline side of the holding role, that's essential. Thought he was fairly disciplined in his forward role, wasn't haring around like a headless chicken - I did wonder when he signed if he'd be a replacement for Gunnarsson tbh.

What I like about what Warnock has done is the squad has a lot of balance, has a lot of scope to play different ways.
    We've got a lot of options, except up top and in the middle, in my opinion. We are an injury and a suspension away from Halford playing centre mid/centre forward.

Also, to play the defensive role, you have to stop yourself getting involved in attacks, something Damour is pretty good at and I think he'd struggle (as a lot of players would do) to not get involved and then he's out of postion should they counter.